Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

One of the photographers in our group is the Chief Ground Operations Supervisor for the entire airport. So we had plenty of premission to be out there next to, and even ON, the runways for the landing!! LOL!!! I had the time of my life, let me tell ya!

One of the photographers in our group is the Chief Ground Operations Supervisor for the entire airport. So we had plenty of premission to be out there next to, and even ON, the runways for the landing!! LOL!!! I had the time of my life, let me tell ya!

I could tell y'all had the time of your lives. What a hoot!

Yeah it is. And honestly, it doesn't become apparent how big it is until it is sitting next to a 747. Which was the case this morning. Seeing both of those on the ramp today was awesome. The AN-124 will leave in the mrning bound for who knows where. But it is staying overnight here.

Wow, that's awesome. Night can certainly provide you some good contrast with how it's lit. But I thought we were going for biggest here!!!

I don't know of a runway that will currently support the A380 at Nashville. This is supposedly going to be addressed with the new runway/extension to current cargo runway project. But there is nothing that is publicly in concrete yet that I know of. We can easily land a 747 fully loaded or a Antonov 124 or 225 fully loaded here, but the A380 is a beast all in and of itself. That requires a bit more runway and a bit thicker asphalt on it than we currently have in Nashville. BUT! The international runway has a fresh layer of ocncret on it, so perhaps it can be landed and taken off on it. I'll have to see about that.

I don't know of a runway that will currently support the A380 at Nashville. This is supposedly going to be addressed with the new runway/extension to current cargo runway project. But there is nothing that is publicly in concrete yet that I know of. We can easily land a 747 fully loaded or a Antonov 124 or 225 fully loaded here, but the A380 is a beast all in and of itself. That requires a bit more runway and a bit thicker asphalt on it than we currently have in Nashville. BUT! The international runway has a fresh layer of ocncret on it, so perhaps it can be landed and taken off on it. I'll have to see about that.

The issue with the A380 isn't just length and thick concrete...you also have to widen the runway and the taxi-ways and make way with the terminals and for maintenance facilities. The airports in the US that will see the A380 have been revamping their facilities for the past few years...I'm sure BNA will be on the boat soon...unless that congressman gets his wish and no money will be provided for the US airports to support the A380...blah

The issue with the A380 isn't just length and thick concrete...you also have to widen the runway and the taxi-ways and make way with the terminals and for maintenance facilities. The airports in the US that will see the A380 have been revamping their facilities for the past few years...I'm sure BNA will be on the boat soon...unless that congressman gets his wish and no money will be provided for the US airports to support the A380...blah

Wide runways isn't an issue here. They are all leveled off or on a enbankment, so the issue of width isn't an issue here. Thankfully, because that is a lot of money to fix. LOL!!! Maintenance facilities are not usually needed at a simple freight stop though. Unless you are baseing them out of your airport, you generally just have a crew of maintenance people on hand when the bird lands, contracted from a counterpart airline. China Airlines has a crew of two maintenance techs from Northwest Airlines that assist with any issue that may come up on their 747-409F's that fly into here. If a A380 were to show up here, it would either be with China Airlines or FedEx. No one else is in the cargo business that deeply around here. At least not YET. LOL!!

That congressman can take a hike. I am sure he is in the minority on Capitol Hill. LOL!!!

LA TN, those flowers are hand painted onto each airplane in their fleet. No two tail fins are alike in their company. How unique is that!!

Edited by Lexy

LA TN, those flowers are hand painted onto each airplane in their fleet. No two tail fins are alike in their company. How unique is that!!

Really? Wow, that's really cool!

Also, last weekend I picked up out-of-town guests at BNA (that had never been to Nashville before) and on the way out they commented on how nice the airport was. I think some jaws hit the floor when I told them the terminal was 20 years old and it was about to undergo major renovations. Take that and enjoy it!!!

And where is this overlook at? From the pics, it has to be around the old terminal or behind Hughes...

Really? Wow, that's really cool!

Also, last weekend I picked up out-of-town guests at BNA (that had never been to Nashville before) and on the way out they commented on how nice the airport was. I think some jaws hit the floor when I told them the terminal was 20 years old and it was about to undergo major renovations. Take that and enjoy it!!!

And where is this overlook at? From the pics, it has to be around the old terminal or behind Hughes...

I forget how old the airport actually is - and the pain we went through during construction! Who remembers trying to get down Donelson Pike when it was torn up from one end to the other! The old airport was pretty worn out, but the new one's always looked pretty fresh and modern to me.

I was a corporate travel agent for a long time - a lot of travelers that came in from NY, Chicago, and really just about everywhere else, often commented on how nice our airport was.

20 years is young for most airports. The overlook is at the end of Vultee Drive. There is a small parking lot and picnic tables there.

Thanks for the info! Lived in STL; Lambert is hideous - and ugly too! They have improved the gates area, but the terminal is still a bad Buck Rogers movie reject

I remember when the new BNA terminal was built and opened. I really think investing in the airport will help Nashville grow. I've always heard the story about the two competing cities, ATL and Birmingham, and how ATL invested in its' airport and Birmingham did not

I also was in STL while there was a MAJOR debate on expanding Lambert and that a LARGE number of businesses stepped forward and said the airport stays put, expand it if needed; but a 2nd airport or limiting flights was not an option. And then TWA declared backruptcy and all was for not, except for spending our federal taxpayers' money...

Thanks for the info! Lived in STL; Lambert is hideous - and ugly too! They have improved the gates area, but the terminal is still a bad Buck Rogers movie reject

I remember when the new BNA terminal was built and opened. I really think investing in the airport will help Nashville grow. I've always heard the story about the two competing cities, ATL and Birmingham, and how ATL invested in its' airport and Birmingham did not

I also was in STL while there was a MAJOR debate on expanding Lambert and that a LARGE number of businesses stepped forward and said the airport stays put, expand it if needed; but a 2nd airport or limiting flights was not an option. And then TWA declared backruptcy and all was for not, except for spending our federal taxpayers' money...

St. Louis gets screwed by the Wright Amendment in Texas. Which prevents Southwest from offereing certain things in certain states.

Nashvilles airport seems so much busier than MEM (in terms of people in the terminal, not incoming and outgoing flights). I wonder why that is. Is it because Memphis is dominated by one airline?

Nashville isn't dominated by banks of flights like Memphis, and you also have to look at the design...the terminals at MEM are spread out and separated by long bridges that make it where you never see what's going on in the other terminals. If you're at MEM at lunch or in the early evening, it's packed in "B" and "A" due to those being the busiest of the Northwest banks (plus, you have the AMS flight at night). However, BNA has smaller terminals that are closer to each other where it will make it seem busier. I've walked from the end of B where it was packed at MEM and walked through quiet, dead spaces and then been faced with major traffic at "A" with all the Delta and Airlink flights