345 State St

GRDadof3

The City is looking at an application to redevelop 345 State St (one of my favorite areas), and add two more floors to the building. Proposed plans for the building are still being worked on. Here's a photo from the CARWM listing:

363472.JPG

http://public.carwm.com/public/carpagerpt....2&C=&B=

City Commission Agenda Pg 103

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't kept up with it, but I wrote an article two years ago on Tom Herrington's plans to turn that property in a mixed-use residential site, along with another property on Commerce.

Do you know who the developer is?

(I could find out, but I'm lazy)

I haven't kept up with it, but I wrote an article two years ago on Tom Herrington's plans to turn that property in a mixed-use residential site, along with another property on Commerce.

Do you know who the developer is?

(I could find out, but I'm lazy)

:lol: "Stratus Properties, LLC". No other information provide in the agenda. That building on Commerce (100 Commerce) has apparently a new buyer with plans to redevelop it.

:lol: "Stratus Properties, LLC". No other information provide in the agenda. That building on Commerce (100 Commerce) has apparently a new buyer with plans to redevelop it.

Stratus Properties appears to be owned by Kim Beyer of Constructors Inc. Not sure of his plans but I am gonna ask him.

DJL

• 10 months later...

I tried searching for information about this development, so apologies if it's a re-post. I was doing a search on Grubb&Ellis's website and noticed a yet to be renovated space for lease at 345 State Street - the Park Professional Bldg. There's a note saying the first two (current) floors are for Medical suites and a possible addition of two more floors for residential. Anyone have the inside scoop?

oakeslife, I started a topic on it last July when it showed up in the city commission agenda:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...hl=state+street

I never heard anything more about it, and I didn't find any renderings of what the addition would look like. :dontknow:

Thanks GRDad. I think the search engine on UP is acting up, or maybe I just don't know how to use it... Whenever I type in street numbers it errors on me. Anyway, not sure how to move this reply over to the other topic so I'll just post here - a link to the listing with renderings: 345 State Street

Thanks GRDad. I think the search engine on UP is acting up, or maybe I just don't know how to use it... Whenever I type in street numbers it errors on me. Anyway, not sure how to move this reply over to the other topic so I'll just post here - a link to the listing with renderings: 345 State Street

It has to be a word or number with four or more characters. I think that's just a feature of Invision brand boards.

Thanks for the rendering link. In looking at the design, I'm torn:

- I think it's a great creative adaptive reuse of that office building, which is pretty lackluster

- I think it's great that it's simple, not ornate

- But it just needs something to spice/sex it up a little (?) A little too flat maybe?

520011806_3fd77d46e4.jpg

Like this hotel posted previously. The long 3 story section to the right is actually pretty featureless, but the metal outcroppings just give it another dimension:

491292012_0ff98d3157.jpg

If this were to go forward, a nice market put in to the available building next door, and that section of State repaved/rebricked, that could be a cool little enclave.

• 5 months later...

How will the rest of the neighborhood be cleaned up? I live 100 feet from the front doors of this building and theres a lot of crap in the neighborhood. The combination of the subsidized housing at Madison and CHerry, Clarks (liqour store) and that small triangle shaped park and the empty buildings are whats keeping the neighborhood the way it is. One block in any direction and things look up immediately.

I'm getting cheap rent right now because of the neigthborhood but improvements would be nice. Its jsut going to take a heck of a lot more than this one building to clean up the place. I get people hanging out, drinking and eating (leaving all thier trash) on my front porch and in my front yart. I've yelled at guys peeing and/or sleeping in the front yard, the business next to my house has a parking lot behind it that is adjacent to my back yard wher ebums drink, fight, take dumps, you name it, people have went through my mailbox in the middle of the night etc. People are always passed out in the park, digging through dumpsters and sitting out front of the liqour store. We've all referred to it as the bum corridor that connects them to the missions down on division. My roomates and the other tennants are considering asking out landlord to build a fence In all honesty I'm never really worried or concerned fo rmy safety and we enjoy getting a really nice apartment for super cheap. Plus the cops love Peppinos so they are around quite a bit. I even had a halloween party, three kegs strong, and left the front door unlocked the whole time and we didn't get any bums wandering in. I was actually quite surprised.

I'd like to see more happen in the neighborhood but its going to take more than a couple of rennovated properties to make a difference. I'm curious to see how potential tennants react to a newly rennovated building in a sub par neighborhood. Bums sleep, drink and dump trash all over the front steps of that building so perhaps they should do what they did at the bus station to deter gang activity and play classical music.

Almost forgot, the DDA is trying to expand their boundaries but that would only reach Lafayette on State st. 345 state is probably the main empty building at the moment but perhaps some more significant activity would occur in some of the other buildings around there.

How will the rest of the neighborhood be cleaned up? I live 100 feet from the front doors of this building and theres a lot of crap in the neighborhood. The combination of the subsidized housing at Madison and CHerry, Clarks (liqour store) and that small triangle shaped park and the empty buildings are whats keeping the neighborhood the way it is. One block in any direction and things look up immediately.

I'm getting cheap rent right now because of the neigthborhood but improvements would be nice. Its jsut going to take a heck of a lot more than this one building to clean up the place. I get people hanging out, drinking and eating (leaving all thier trash) on my front porch and in my front yart. I've yelled at guys peeing and/or sleeping in the front yard, the business next to my house has a parking lot behind it that is adjacent to my back yard wher ebums drink, fight, take dumps, you name it, people have went through my mailbox in the middle of the night etc. People are always passed out in the park, digging through dumpsters and sitting out front of the liqour store. We've all referred to it as the bum corridor that connects them to the missions down on division. My roomates and the other tennants are considering asking out landlord to build a fence In all honesty I'm never really worried or concerned fo rmy safety and we enjoy getting a really nice apartment for super cheap. Plus the cops love Peppinos so they are around quite a bit. I even had a halloween party, three kegs strong, and left the front door unlocked the whole time and we didn't get any bums wandering in. I was actually quite surprised.

I'd like to see more happen in the neighborhood but its going to take more than a couple of rennovated properties to make a difference. I'm curious to see how potential tennants react to a newly rennovated building in a sub par neighborhood. Bums sleep, drink and dump trash all over the front steps of that building so perhaps they should do what they did at the bus station to deter gang activity and play classical music.

The only hope is that State Street would be "cleaned up" and the bums would slowly find somewhere else to loiter. They are hoping to at least encourage property owners or possibly developers to inject some energy into State St by having it classified a Neighborhood Enterprise Zone.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/State-St...-Sq-t43046.html

I know of at least one party that is looking at the old charter school property. I don't know what the status is though. I'm betting the NEZ would benefit their plans.

Get rid of Clark's = Get rid of problem.

It is the flame attracting the moths. That flame consist of Junk food, liquor, and a place to loiter out front. Ever since the previous owners sold to the people that own it now, the place took an immediate dive. My wife actually told off the owners for ripping out a lot of the old grocery store for more booze space. Once that place closes or is reformed back into a quality grocery store, and 345 State is redone, you will see a night and day difference. It is too important of a corridor between East Hills and DT to just let rot.

It's the magical drumming machine that's attracting Cherry Street Cruisers to your building. :thumbsup:

Get rid of Clark's = Get rid of problem.

It is the flame attracting the moths. That flame consist of Junk food, liquor, and a place to loiter out front. Ever since the previous owners sold to the people that own it now, the place took an immediate dive. My wife actually told off the owners for ripping out a lot of the old grocery store for more booze space. Once that place closes or is reformed back into a quality grocery store, and 345 State is redone, you will see a night and day difference. It is too important of a corridor between East Hills and DT to just let rot.

I agree that if Clarks were obliterated the biggest part of the problem would go away. However, I do like having a place to grab a gallon of milk, a lightbulb, a pack of smokes and a six pack that takes me thirty seconds to walk to but a more modern market would be nice. The indian family that runs the place are nice people too but they seem content with the way business is going and don't ever put money into cleaning the place up.

As for the look and feel, it is ghetto but probably not as much as everyone thinks. I did hear that before I lived near by they used to stock 40's in produce display units but all that's gone.

I guess my question is what will it take to change Clarks and where will the bums go? Will they move to division? Whats going to happen when all of commerce is built out, when the condo tower next to purple east is done and when all of the other developments around the missions reach completion? Do missions relocate from development pressures? Will the bums and the homeless just move farther down south division? I'm pretty intrigued by stuff like this so any insight or previous experience would be nice to hear.

Is clarks used for neighborhood groceries at all? Maybe for people who don't have other means of transportation? It sounds like Wealthy Market kind of, except I think a lot people use the Wealthy Market for groceries (bread etc) because they don't have a car and don't want to take the bus to Family Fare on Fulton. If it became a fancy market as some suggest it would be a hardship for a lot of the neighborhood.

Is clarks used for neighborhood groceries at all? Maybe for people who don't have other means of transportation? It sounds like Wealthy Market kind of, except I think a lot people use the Wealthy Market for groceries (bread etc) because they don't have a car and don't want to take the bus to Family Fare on Fulton. If it became a fancy market as some suggest it would be a hardship for a lot of the neighborhood.

Clarks isn't utilized as a market but more as a seven eleven with liquor. If Clarks became a fancier market it might attract more people outside of Heritage Square who normally avoid it. Their main sale is booze from what I've seen and the people loitering outside and the ugly facade definitely deters people from going in. They should really do things like clean the floors, make it brighter inside and maybe repaint the exterior. Especially if the development at 345 state comes to fruition.

It's used very little for groceries. When the new owners took over, they ripped out a huge chunk of the frozen foods section for more beer/pop space, many food items were also not restocked. I'm sure it's just like a lot of liquor stores with some food items, just nothing that would make it an actual grocery store.

It doesn't have to become some fancy world food market. It just needs to clean itself up. Ditch the hard booze and abundant junk food. Redo the exterior, maybe even expand the building. Put in some windows and clean up the inside.

Clark's should serve the economically diverse area that it is in the center of. The reason it is seen as a store for the poor is because they run it like a dump. Making the place look nice and clean shouldn't keep low-income customers away, but it will make it more respected by everyone.

EDIT: Looks like GRapcity beat me with a lot of these points! :P

I live just down the street, and I only ever go to Clark's to pick up smokes when I'm walking downtown on my way to the Cottage. I've never bought anything else there. For quick groceries / beer, I'll head the other direction to Cherry Hill Market-it may not be the most beautiful interior, but it's run with a good heart, by a good staff, and they've got a fair selection of beer, wine, and food. At Clark's the produce is all rotten, half the shelves are empty, and the beer selection is horrible for a place that makes most of its profit on that. Honestly, I would take Wealthy Market over Clark's any day.

• 2 months later...

Looks like this thing is getting another push forward with Browfeilds. Rapidgrwothmedia is reporting that; "two-story structure will soon be a four-story mixed use development with 14 residential condos above commercial and office space. Beyer expects the one- and two-bedroom condos, ranging from 600 to 1,000 square feet, to sell for $120,000 to $160,000. Some of the planned amenities for residents include a fitness center, private balconies, a roof garden on the third level, and a rooftop deck on the fourth level."

Full article: http://rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmentnews/state0131.aspx

Kim Beyer is a good guy, wonderful project. Hopefully everything goes through as planned. This may help some of the other buildings, including the recently vacated Gateway school to be redeveloped.

• 6 months later...

Archived