345 State St

GRDadof3

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living around the corner from this, I've walked by it hundreds of times and I can say with certainty that nothin in that rendering makes any sense. The angled portion under the 345 State sign sits on the corner at an intersection which means that the bridge, or whatever it is, sticks into the street. The addition is supposedly behind it on what is now a parking garage. At the renderings that Chew showed at a community meeting revealed an addition of two stories on top of what is there now. He did revise his plans so that he would not need a variance due to opposition at the meeting. I haven't seen new renderings but the change was supposedly to reduce the number of units and to add retail on the ground floor.

I wonder if that is looking at the back of the development. Seems like a strange choice but it could explain the bridge and little park area underneath it.

I think so. From the back of the building looking West. You can see the bricky State Street angling across the top of the picture.

I think so. From the back of the building looking West. You can see the bricky State Street angling across the top of the picture.

Looks like the addition on top of the parking ramp.  Crummy rendering.  Even worse project.  I still hate this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like the exterior of the main building is almost done. Amazing considering what these guys had to work in! I kind of miss the bright color of the new addition before they put the matching brick up, but it is still a great imposing sight to watch as you drive up State St.

post-3465-0-79026500-1425400121_thumb.jp

And in other news, America's favorite Liquor store next door has decided to class up the place in keeping with the new construction, by putting up an electronic...display on-a-stick of some sort. It's barely noticeable, and that is giving it a complement.

post-3465-0-09467100-1425400136_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...

Some updates of this project. Looks like it's pretty much wrapped up and people are living in some of the apartments. 

Not sure why they went with dark-framed windows on the upper floors and didn't match on the bottom floors. Otherwise it doesn't look too bad. 

If you forget what it looked like before, especially the dumpy parking ramp in the back, it's still on Streetview.

19454003870_a581681388_b.jpg

19615826186_4c98637efb_b.jpg

19455395479_3103e0f899_b.jpg

19641998545_c3b3da0b02_b.jpg

19019405894_ee58ea8fcf_b.jpg

It's a lot better than I was expecting. I went to a community meeting when it was first unveiled and I believe the architect said something about not being able to match the masonry exactly because it is a historic district. I would assume that the windows are a similar situation. 

• 8 months later...

This is the nearest topic for this to go, and actually may be a direct result of, but Clark's liquor store, right next door to this development, is now up for sale.

Since this used to be an actual grocery 12 years ago, I hope this may inspire someone to pick it up and maybe bring it back, or at least make this more upscale.

12 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This is the nearest topic for this to go, and actually may be a direct result of, but Clark's liquor store, right next door to this development, is now up for sale.

Since this used to be an actual grocery 12 years ago, I hope this may inspire someone to pick it up and maybe bring it back, or at least make this more upscale.

There is no reason that this can't be cleaned up and turned into something better.   Martha's Vineyard - South?   Isn't Kingma's looking to expand?  This neighborhood can support it.

21 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

There is no reason that this can't be cleaned up and turned into something better.   Martha's Vineyard - South?   Isn't Kingma's looking to expand?  This neighborhood can support it.

I thought about this location or the Ada Village development for Kingma's.  Both good locations for expansion.

• 5 weeks later...

I can even see a Kingma's, Martha's II, or a Ken's Fruit Market sliding in there easily. Put some windows along the street, maybe expand the back of the store, and this place will be printing cash.

I've heard that the owners were asking for an absurd amount a couple of years ago. Hopefully they have came down a bit on that.

Archived