Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Its a renovation of the old Utopia Hotel on 4th Ave. If you are walking down 4th from Union, it would be a little over half way down on the left before Church st. Ill see if I can find a pic. And here we go:

utopia.jpg

One idea floating around is not only redoing Utopia but filling in the air space above the smaller buildings next to it. That would help in the cost aspect as well as addressing codes issues. The developer who created the model didn't necessarily have the creativity or wherewithal to get it done.

One idea floating around is not only redoing Utopia but filling in the air space above the smaller buildings next to it. That would help in the cost aspect as well as addressing codes issues. The developer who created the model didn't necessarily have the creativity or wherewithal to get it done.

A most excellent idea. The original Utopia rehab project would have involved the air rights of the adjacent buiding anyway, for walkways and balconies. How cool would it be if that strip of buildings between Utopia and Southern Turf were rehabbed and built upon, including the old Climax Hotel?

A most excellent idea. The original Utopia rehab project would have involved the air rights of the adjacent buiding anyway, for walkways and balconies. How cool would it be if that strip of buildings between Utopia and Southern Turf were rehabbed and built upon, including the old Climax Hotel?

There was a Climax Hotel? How ironic given the location of Printer's Alley and Brass Stables

I found a rendering of the Artie Lee under construction off of West End. I will keep adding renderings as I can. Sorry after a certain time I cannot edit a post so I have to make new ones.

artielee.jpg

Am I screwy or does the design look like a mix between an urban styled building and a suburban apartment complex with the roof line? Seems to me that the building should almost have a flat roof and be bricked all the way up.

Am I screwy or does the design look like a mix between an urban styled building and a suburban apartment complex with the roof line? Seems to me that the building should almost have a flat roof and be bricked all the way up.

You're not screwy. Right from the start, I've thought that this one (and several others in that area of WE) look like suburban buildings. My biggest gripe is the fact that they look like drive-by's for the developers to get density (sell as many as possible) and get out while the getting is good. I think that in the process, that whole neighborhood's potential as a truly urban neighborhood with townhouses and brownstone flats is being squantered. Sure, there are a few of those, but with the preponderance of "Garden Apartment" style buildings, that area won't look nearly as good as it could.

One of the biggest detractors for this building in particular is the sto exterior on the top floor. As a general rule, I think that multiple exterior finishes (i.e. brick and sto, or --- gasp --- even brick and vinyl siding, etc.) just scream "corner cutting" on the part of developers. We all know that an all brick veneer building is the most expensive of conventional styles being put up in most SE cities. Some cities are pretty hard-core about what they'll allow (Nashville doesn't seem to be). So when a developer is allowed to mix materials, he/she will do it wherever possible to cut costs. I think I remember seeing a few buildings with siding in that area. That is just not urban IMO.

Also, the sloped roof is not an urban style in most cases. However, I can understand its practical use for multi-residential. Still a sloped roof could be camouflaged behind parapets/cornices above the top floor. I just haven't seen anything really creative yet from the buildings in West End.

Edited by ATLBrain

You're not screwy. Right from the start, I've thought that this one (and several others in that area of WE) look like suburban buildings. My biggest gripe is the fact that they look like drive-by's for the developers to get density (sell as many as possible) and get out while the getting is good. I think that in the process, that whole neighborhood's potential as a truly urban neighborhood with townhouses and brownstone flats is being squantered. Sure, there are a few of those, but with the preponderance of "Garden Apartment" style buildings, that area won't look nearly as good as it could.

One of the biggest detractors for this building in particular is the sto exterior on the top floor. As a general rule, I think that multiple exterior finishes (i.e. brick and sto, or --- gasp --- even brick and vinyl siding, etc.) just scream "corner cutting" on the part of developers. We all know that an all brick veneer building is the most expensive of conventional styles being put up in most SE cities. Some cities are pretty hard-core about what they'll allow (Nashville doesn't seem to be). So when a developer is allowed to mix materials, he/she will do it wherever possible to cut costs. I think I remember seeing a few buildings with siding in that area. That is just not urban IMO.

Also, the sloped roof is not an urban style in most cases. However, I can understand its practical use for multi-residential. Still a sloped roof could be camouflaged behind parapets/cornices above the top floor. I just haven't seen anything really creative yet from the buildings in West End.

Very true on all accounts. That area of West End seems to be attracting that type of development. Brentwood requires all brick and it's rather boring. I swear if you drove home drunk -- which one shouldn't do -- you'd very likely end up at the wrong house because they all look the same.

After being in the Wesley Bernard, I am not a real fan of the work Regent is doing. I think they could be a lot better, but I agree with you guys. I think they just building and selling as fast as possible and getting out. I wonder if this is typical of the work they are doing at Lenox village.

Now that the design for the proposed Signature Tower has been revealed, are there any thoughts on how Nashville's 2nd tallest should look. If indeed, it turns out to be 45 ish storeys at 700' +/-, as recent rumors seem to suggest, what would best fit in the skyline and bridge the gap between the Signature and the Bell South Bldg.

Here are some proposed towers from around the country that are of styles that some may like for our skyline. What do you think?

2ndTallest.jpg

If 'G' is th eComcast Center currently being raised in Philadelphia then that is my choice. WHat a monster and what a looker. LEEDS certified and 900+FT (Some shrinkage in SoBro would be understandable).

No, G is something like 700 North Lasalle or whatever in Chicago. It's about 700 to 800 ft I believe. I love that tower. It's my first choice. After that, the order goes: A, E, F, H, D, B. I really don't want another spire, and although all glass towers are cool, I think ST would be complemented nicely if it wasn't all glass. That's why I like A.

Also, about C, the BoA tower in NY. I really like that tower, but it would look to bulky at the base IMO to fit in with Nashville. Also, it's 1200 ft tall, and I don't want another spire. I want 700 feet of real floors.

BTW, what is A? I've never seen it before.

Edited by cheeriokid61

They're not very clear renderings, but I think either D, G or H.

A and E look too retro and/or overwrought.

C and F look too outrageous for just about anywhere in the world except for maybe China. They don't appear to have any noteworthy aesthetics or style innovation. Also, I think the diamond look will look so tired and dated in about 10 years like all those geodesic domes from the 70s.

Edited by ATLBrain

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the design for the proposed Signature Tower has been revealed, are there any thoughts on how Nashville's 2nd tallest should look. If indeed, it turns out to be 45 ish storeys at 700' +/-, as recent rumors seem to suggest, what would best fit in the skyline and bridge the gap between the Signature and the Bell South Bldg.

Here are some proposed towers from around the country that are of styles that some may like for our skyline. What do you think?

2ndTallest.jpg

I would rate these towers in the following order: G,C, H, D, F, E, A, and then B. I think G is absolutely gorgeous. If Nashville had a 700 footer that looked like that, what an awesome compliment to Signature Tower that would be!

How will this building interact with people at street level? Looks uninviting with the solid brick walls and such.

Yes... I don't think there are very high expectations for this one. However, I believe that is actually mostly glass at street level. But the building will sit on a sliver of a corner that's protected on the rest of the block for historic reasons, so the effect (IMO) is that it's kind of left out in the cold on a very cold corner of DT. The opposite corners have the Bellsouth, One Nashville, and a 1940s midrise. The Bellsouth is not street level friendly, and One Nashville turns away from this corner (in favor of the northwest corner on 4th Ave). So it's not surprising that there hasn't been a whole lot of excitement for this one.

A good thing about it is that it will be fairly attractive infill. If you want pedestrian friendly, you'll have to go to Church and Sobro (unless they decide to stick that completely unfriendly Convention Center there). But Sobro has a great start.

I believe there's a fairly wide, pedestrian promenade planned between the Ryman and this building. Retail is planned I believe. The developers promised some street interactivity and the initial stories seemed promising, but it's so long, I don't remember the specifics. Pretty soon we'll be able to just look for ourselves.

2ndTallest.jpg

If I could pluck any building I wanted and stick it in Nashville it would be Atlanta's 191 Peachtree Building.

http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/sixw...3/07/206986.jpg

http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/sixw...4/01/239133.jpg

At 770 feet it would complement a thousand footer nicely.