CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Contractor's pick-up truck and two workmen on the site briefly (30 min) today; moved some stuff around.

I also heard from a reliable source today that the project should be re-starting very soon following the same plans under which construction was begun (no new plans have been filed). Hope its true!!! :)

Contractor's pick-up truck and two workmen on the site briefly (30 min) today; moved some stuff around.

I also heard from a reliable source today that the project should be re-starting very soon following the same plans under which construction was begun (no new plans have been filed). Hope its true!!! :)

I like having a watchful eye to report the happenings of the Peacock. I hope what you saw was a good sign and I hope what you heard is correct! Hopefully, any new activity on the site is NOT to remove the crane :lol:

Excellent news! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am hearing the opposite. I hear that the crane is coming down which would imply we are in for a long delay on this project. Hope I'm wrong.

Those crane rentals are one of the mostly costly objects on the job. For it to just sit there with no activity is very bad. I could see that they might take it down if they are not going to be doing anything on the site. This could mean a long time before the peacock ever gets built. :-(

Yesterday we got a "Notification of Public Hearing" scheduled for Monday, May 12th. This will be to hear comments regarding a request for the "abandonment of a portion of the public right-of-way located at the southwesterly corner of East McBee Avenue and Falls Street to accomoodate an outdoor dining area for the Peacock Hotel."

I would think they would have gotten this before they started but in any case it appears to be a sign that they plan to proceed - of course, not any indication of when.

Activity on the site yesterday seemed to be a thorough clean-up (picking up light trash, etc) along with some dirt moving around the base of the crane and the removal of the backhoe loader from the site. This activity seems to fit better with erm1981's comment about a longer term delay.

Yesterday we got a "Notification of Public Hearing" scheduled for Monday, May 12th. This will be to hear comments regarding a request for the "abandonment of a portion of the public right-of-way located at the southwesterly corner of East McBee Avenue and Falls Street to accomoodate an outdoor dining area for the Peacock Hotel."

I would think they would have gotten this before they started but in any case it appears to be a sign that they plan to proceed - of course, not any indication of when.

Activity on the site yesterday seemed to be a thorough clean-up (picking up light trash, etc) along with some dirt moving around the base of the crane and the removal of the backhoe loader from the site. This activity seems to fit better with erm1981's comment about a longer term delay.

They also removed the remaining port-o-john that was on the site -- the one that had been at the foot of the crane. Also, in the lot on Broad St., they've removed the wooden stairs they built to access the American Constructors trailers, as well as the siding that ringed the base of them.

They also removed the remaining port-o-john that was on the site -- the one that had been at the foot of the crane. Also, in the lot on Broad St., they've removed the wooden stairs they built to access the American Constructors trailers, as well as the siding that ringed the base of them.

Ugh.. these are all bad signs..

BUT... one of this weeks TBAs sounds sort of promising... :dontknow:

Yea, it did, which makes all of this all that more confusing... It IS the journal after all, soon doesn't always mean what we hope for. Neither does 'three weeks'. Only time will tell what's going on with this thing...

THIS is a good sign ... I hope ... or at least a sign that the City Manager is insane. You decide.

Calling the Peacock's bluff about further construction? If they can't come up with $14K for the sidewalk easement, can they really build the hotel? It's certainly a way for the city to be in good faith about the project while seeing just how committed the Peacock is to building anytime soon.

Sheesh. It says it could be next year before financing is secured... Hopefully that's the 'realistic' or worst-case scenario picture and it will most likely be before that...? Oh well, as long as it gets complete, it will be a great addition to McBee Avenue, adding many more pedestrians, restaurant, and hotel rooms.

Sheesh. It says it could be next year before financing is secured... Hopefully that's the 'realistic' or worst-case scenario picture and it will most likely be before that...? Oh well, as long as it gets complete, it will be a great addition to McBee Avenue, adding many more pedestrians, restaurant, and hotel rooms.

I am definitely for progress and I understand that as a city and state that we must make concessions and provide incentives to spur development and investment. However, POM, the Gateway site, and now the Peacock seem to indicate a trend in our city giving away the horse for free. These deals should have had secured financing before ever getting the green light from the City. One is forgivable, but with the number of deals that have fallen through now is bordering on reckless.

I am definitely for progress and I understand that as a city and state that we must make concessions and provide incentives to spur development and investment. However, POM, the Gateway site, and now the Peacock seem to indicate a trend in our city giving away the horse for free. These deals should have had secured financing before ever getting the green light from the City. One is forgivable, but with the number of deals that have fallen through now is bordering on reckless.

I'm not sure I understand. The Gateway site was City property, sold to the developers in anticipation of a project. That project is still in its infancy and I really don't think you can expect a developer to spend money developing plans for a project without assurance that the land will in fact be your's when you're ready with the plans. I don't fault the City on this at all. I'm sure they have an agreement to get the land back if it sits undeveloped for a certain period of time.

I'm not sure I understand. The Gateway site was City property, sold to the developers in anticipation of a project. That project is still in its infancy and I really don't think you can expect a developer to spend money developing plans for a project without assurance that the land will in fact be your's when you're ready with the plans. I don't fault the City on this at all. I'm sure they have an agreement to get the land back if it sits undeveloped for a certain period of time.

I hope you are right. I have heard from some people who work for the city that the city is far too generous and naive about things like this. I am very happy with where we are today so I have been skeptical of their criticism, but now I wonder if things have changed.

Archived