CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All activity on the site now (and there seems to be quite a bit) is directed toward cleanup and shut down. Subcontractors removing materials and supplies; GC's trailor is on the way out; crane de-construction team is here... They started the dismanteling of the crane yesterday (minor prep work) and the crane they will use to take it down came in late yesterday afternoon.

Does anyone know how much it costs to rent those cranes? :dunno:

GSA Business had an article on this very topic not long ago - I had posted a link to it somewhere in this thread...if it's still active, go check the article out (not sure how long they keep their archives available online...they don't post many online articles to begin with).

^^ Here it is: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=924480

The article I linked to about the tower cranes has since been replaced by one about copper theft, though... :rolleyes: I don't recall the cost figure they gave, but it was up there and there aren't that many of these cranes to go around, so the pricepoint is due to a limited supply combined with the demand.

Seems to me if they are just waiting for the credit crunch to "improve or resolve" then there is no real "timeline". It could be years, or even never.

No too mention that for every year it is delayed (remember it was supposed to start in Nov 06') the prices of construction will go up and up. The 65MM may already have gone up. By next year they may well have to reassess. Who knows now whether it will ever actually happen.

We can always paint the columns that are in place and make it a children's park. :shades:

LOL.

Since Greenville has been known for turning lemons into lemonade, how about getting some mileage out of the site until it resumes construction or some mileage out of the site to help it get built.

- Market it to the film industry as a set.

- Market it to architectural schools as a classroom. (Todays lesson: "How NOT to build a hotel").

- Place the site on Ebay, and the highest bidder wins one of the top floor condos, free for life. Start the bidding at 65 million.

- Create a futuristic Art Park.

- Create a website with a webcam that people pay to log into. "The NoHotel" All money raised at the website goes to the project. I mean, there is the site you can sign onto to watch cheese age......

- Market the site to rich Europeans....with the current dollar situation, the site would be a bargain.

- Let the site be used by graffiti artist and go for a record......world's largest work of graffiti....advertise on the web and bring them in from all over the world.

So many possibilities.......... ;)

LOL.

Since Greenville has been known for turning lemons into lemonade, how about getting some mileage out of the site until it resumes construction or some mileage out of the site to help it get built.

- Market it to the film industry as a set.

- Market it to architectural schools as a classroom. (Todays lesson: "How NOT to build a hotel").

- Place the site on Ebay, and the highest bidder wins one of the top floor condos, free for life. Start the bidding at 65 million.

- Create a futuristic Art Park.

- Create a website with a webcam that people pay to log into. "The NoHotel" All money raised at the website goes to the project. I mean, there is the site you can sign onto to watch cheese age......

- Market the site to rich Europeans....with the current dollar situation, the site would be a bargain.

- Let the site be used by graffiti artist and go for a record......world's largest work of graffiti....advertise on the web and bring them in from all over the world.

So many possibilities.......... ;)

- Turn it into an outdoor skate park.

- Create a downtown sculpture garden.

- Cage it in and create a sanctuary for peacocks (then later move the peacocks to the Greenville Zoo after construction starts again).

Next!

- Leave the crane and turn it into a bungee jump attraction. Yea, that pool of water at the bottom of other bungee jumps feels like concrete if you were to hit it.. but who actually has concrete below them (and Rebar!!)

- Put a tarp over it and call it the Peacock Hostel

- Paintball attraction

- Sell off locations in the foundation for the mafia to bury bodies (This support beam donated by the Corleone family).

In all seriousness, I wish the Peacock folks would sell the land to Holder Properites. We know John Holder will be in Greenville this month to specifically look for opportunities downtown. We also know that Holder sees an opportunity and goes for it. Their projects happen, and they happen on schedule. The Peacock site is a great location, and would be perfect for a new highrise.

I don't see the Peacock happening anytime soon, if ever. They seem to be in over their heads. The question is, do they realize it themselves? Or are they hopeless dreamers? :dontknow:

I don't know if the Peacock will ever be finished, but it does look better than a nondescript hotel that was simply changed on a site plan to fit at this location. I'd rather have Holder take a property that doesn't have a project currently proposed, or one that has a very outdated proposed project on the site. The Peacock still has a *chance*, and I'd hate to see the project die, because they don't have the land anymore. If by this time next year there is no construction on site, I say give it to the highest bidder.

Archived