CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

Here's the round up for downtown regarding apartments-

100 East: 48 units. Under construction. August 2012 completion.

RiverWalk: 44 units. Recently completed. May 2012 completion.

Lat Purser's project: 150 units. Approved/Proposed. Fall 2012 start of construction.

Tom Croft's project: 100 units. Approved/Proposed. Fall 2012 start of construction.

Davis Property Group's project one: 200 units. Proposed. Unknown construction timeline.

Davis Property Group's project two: 250 units. Proposed. Unknown construction timeline.

98 East McBee: 55 units. Proposed. Fall 2012 start of construction.

847 apartment units in all!!!!

**There are other apartment complexes in the works for downtown in addition to these but not enough info is known about those to include them yet.**

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 stories doesn't bother me for this site. The most important thing for this project is going to be getting the street level active and generating more activity for McBee Avenue. Hopefully this proposed project will at least match the height of NBSC's building.

There is absolutely no sense in comparing this to previously proposed projects for the site.

While the news story is great news for the most part, it was mentioned that Croft's doesn't have financing nailed down yet. Also, Davis stated that he doubted all of the announced projects would happen. Nevertheless, there is obviously lots of demand and lots of interest in 'supplying it'.

This is similiar to the time when so many office buildings were being announced pre-recession. Some of them got built (Riverplace)and some of them didn't (Main & McBee for example). Obviously there is a certain element of 'musical chairs' and 'chess' at play.

I'm really curious as to what building Davis is looking to renovate. At 250 units, it would have to be pretty big. There is Claussen Bakery, but that is too small by itself. Any suggestions?

I'm really curious as to what building Davis is looking to renovate. At 250 units, it would have to be pretty big. There is Claussen Bakery, but that is too small by itself. Any suggestions?

Curious as well. The Greenville Summit building is one that comes to mind that would be a welcomed change.

Is it the Woodside Mill that sits near the Pendleton Arts District? Is that empty?

Excellent guess. That would make a lot of sense given the description. I thought the property was already in the hands of a developer(s) but perhaps Davis is pondering taking it over.

I wonder just how many apartments you could put in the now available Greenville News building?... (Hey, I'm just starting an unfounded rumor. Discuss.)

Is that the one across from St. Francis?

No. Woodside Ave. There is a building across from St. Francis that is vacant and was mentioned recently in an topic/article somewhere. I think it was tied to Helen Hughes Sanders somehow. I don't remember the exact details.

Sounds like Peacock was originally planning a larger apartment complex on this site but cut back due to whatever reason. Financing and costs would be my guess.

Lat Purser's project has the best chance of getting built out of the new proposed apartment complexes in my opinion. I expect Davis's two proposed ones to get built also if he decides to move forward on them. The Peacock and Croft projects are big question marks at the present time.

Reading that Mark Kent is still trying to build a high-end hotel downtown caught me off guard. Not sure downtown could support a third one if JHM and Hughes build theirs. Glad to see he learned his lesson regarding full construction financing before starting to build. 

Sounds like Peacock was originally planning a larger apartment complex on this site but cut back due to whatever reason. Financing and costs would be my guess.

Lat Purser's project has the best chance of getting built out of the new proposed apartment complexes in my opinion. I expect Davis's two proposed ones to get built also if he decides to move forward on them. The Peacock and Croft projects are big question marks at the present time.

Reading that Mark Kent is still trying to build a high-end hotel downtown caught me off guard. Not sure downtown could support a third one if JHM and Hughes build theirs. Glad to see he learned his lesson regarding full construction financing before starting to build.

Have Hilton build downtown.

When you say JHM... do you mean the renovation of the Hyatt? I thought I remember hearing JHM had purchased a piece of land somewhere, but I thought that was the same piece where the third phase of One is speculated to be.

When you say JHM... do you mean the renovation of the Hyatt? I thought I remember hearing JHM had purchased a piece of land somewhere, but I thought that was the same piece where the third phase of One is speculated to be.

I thought JHM was considering the land beside NBSC. A Hilton brand was thrown around. I think it would be nice to see a hotel built on that site with some residential above.

JHM purchased the parking lot behind the NBSC building at North Spring and East Washington Streets earlier this year for a possible future hotel. That's the site i'm referring to.

Someone said that there was a limit to how many spaces a potential apartment complex owner could lease from the city (due to constraints with the garage financing arrangements). That may be why the peacock site is staying at 55 units. Just conjecture on my part though.

Someone said that there was a limit to how many spaces a potential apartment complex owner could lease from the city (due to constraints with the garage financing arrangements). That may be why the peacock site is staying at 55 units. Just conjecture on my part though.

Edit: you're right, it is the Spring Street garage.

If the City wanted any certain development badly enough, couldn't they just refinance?

Was that the Spring Street garage or the Richardson Street garage? I was thinking it was related the One Development discussion, but maybe I'm confused.

Spring Street. I believe only 10% of the parking spots within the garage can be used by residents.

Edit: you're right, it is the Spring Street garage.

If the City wanted any certain development badly enough, couldn't they just refinance?

I think it may have involved Federal money, so that may complicate things. It might be difficult to justify the refinance costs too. Hard to say for sure.

JHM purchased the parking lot behind the NBSC building at North Spring and East Washington Streets earlier this year for a possible future hotel. That's the site i'm referring to.

That would be a great place for a luxury hotel (hopefully its luxury). I think there is need for a hotel on the west side though more.

• 1 month later...

Archived