CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, doesnt look wood built.

OMG! Please tell me the rendering in your post is not the actual final product! Horrible. They look very "MacMansion-ish.....any Southern city". So uninspired!

I wish they would take design cues from the new BookEnds. The dark slate / black brick used at street level on the BookEnds is so urban / European. Walk by and you can imagine you are in Munich or Rotterdam.

OMG! Please tell me the rendering in your post is not the actual final product! Horrible. They look very "MacMansion-ish.....any Southern city". So uninspired!

I wish they would take design cues from the new BookEnds. The dark slate / black brick used at street level on the BookEnds is so urban / European. Walk by and you can imagine you are in Munich or Rotterdam.

I agree, I do like the mixed mediums at least, so it's a little better than a mcmansion. What strikes me as the ugliest is the long central arched window. Also the column appearance on the base is pretty rough. Its like the architects threw in a bunch of different architectural styles together in a pot and came out with that. You have the mill like tower flanking the sides with a decent modern feel squashed in between the mill towers and the '90's window arch. And all of that sits on top of some greco-roman inspired features. meh.

Who is the firm? I've never heard of them before.

Oh, it's real and is the current design being used for the development. The Peacock developers/architects sure seem to have trouble coming out with a decently designed building. Except for the original design way back in 2006 I haven't been impressed with any of them.

I've had a chance to study this some more... I don't like how they're proposing to sit the building back from the street with a wall in between the sidewalk and the building. How disengaging!? I guarantee that their reasoning is based on the setback of the SunTrust building at that corner. However, if they spent any decent amount of time around the site, they'd quickly learn that this is merely a line from the plan-view and not perceived on the ground (because of the even further setback of the building's lower floors).

The height and width suit me fine. The materials leave a lot to be desired. I am happy to see balconies, but I wish some were extending out instead of ONLY being recessed.

Suggestions: Move the building up to McBee Avenue. Redesign the facade. A background building is fine, but if you don't try hard enough, your background building's ugliness will make it a foreground building for negative reasons.

I'm not sure, but I'm hoping maybe the lack of retail on the first floor, if nothing else.

It doesn't even go up to the street on McBee and instead they decided to have a brick wall enclosing a courtyard. According to their plans though, the rear will have space for parking (2 cars?) and one storefront... Not enough in my opinion for this area.

Edit: I'm guessing the storefront will just be the leasing office so no retail added with this development.

By the end of the day yesterday, only the front row of columns remained standing. It looks to me as though they could get incorporated into the new construction, along with existing foundation and underground parking. Using what has already been built would save a lot of unnecessary expense and could help to shed light on why the new design has the footprint that it does.

Was the hotel set back from the street? I didn't realize that, if so.

The main part of the hotel was set back. A two story portion with the lobby and spa came out to the sidewalk. I believe the reasoning for setting the new building was based on the existing foundation of the hotel. I would hope something could be done similar to the original desing to bring the first couple floors closer to the street. I can almost see the city approving this just for the sake of building something there instead of a vacant construction site. Hopefully they stand up and demand something better than what has been proposed.

Archived