CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Staff comments on the DRB application present some fairly stern directives to the applicant. The applicant is going to have to "defend" their decision to set the building back from the street (I have a feeling this won't fly at the hearing). The wall next to the sidewalk was also criticized. Regardless of this building's liklihood of being built, it's nice to see the developers and designers facing an uphill battle with this awful proposal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I like having more residential downtown, but my concern is that the architecture will look horribly dated in 20 years, just as 1950s-1970s buildings downtown look terrible.

I wouldn't want the government to impose architectual style codes on downtown, but if everyone could just use the same architectural style, things would look better.

Not sure how this would affect things (costs, feasibility, first floor units, etc.)... but it seems they could use the existing foundation for the four story building, and build out on the first floor for street level retail. Then the roof of the street level retail could be a "community" area for renters with lounge chairs/tables&chairs/grills/etc. Just a thought. Definitely add some "cool" factor to an otherwise bland building.

Sounds like the City Council approved kicking in a bunch of $ to make the setback area to the building a really nice public area.

Hahaha. The city council has nothing to do with this project except when it comes to a development agreement and funding streetscape improvements next to the site. It was approved by the Design Review Board after numerous revisions were made to the building design and site layout. Nothing wrong with having some green space downtown also.

Archived