New England's Biggest Cities

Carter711

Menino was right: Census estimate wrong, Hub gained population

By Michael Levenson and Yvonne Abraham, Globe Staff

The Census Bureau, after being challenged by Boston officials, acknowledged today that it had underestimated Boston's population and released a new tally that shows the city gained residents in the first half of the decade.

The bureau had earlier estimated Boston had lost some 30,000 residents between 2000 and 2005. But the new tally showed Boston gained about 7,500 residents during that period, increasing its population to an estimated 596,638.

The newly defined metro for Boston merges it with Providence giving it a metro pop of about 7.5M.

Here's the link:

http://www.census.gov/population/www...ges_final.html

Table 6 shows the estimates for CSAs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's plenty of people commuting from Manchester to Boston, Manchester is only a mile further from Boston than Providence is. The reason all of Rhode Island is in the CSA is because it is an amalgamation on the MSAs. Providence's MSA includes all of Rhode Island and although 15% of the people in South County may not be commuting to the Boston MSA (though I would not be surprised to find that they are) all of Rhode Island is included because all of RI is in the Providence MSA.

the reason i'm surprised about manchester is that there's no rail between the 2 like there is for providence, so while it only takes an hour to do the drive, during rush hour, it's about 2 hours of driving. that being said, i don't know where the nearest commuter rail station is to manchester or southern NH.

• 2 weeks later...

I commute from Southern NH to Waltham, Mass. every day and the commute is pretty rough. Even though Route 3 was widened to 6 lanes a few years ago, it can really bottleneck around Lowell and Route 128 is of course a disaster. Lately I've been taking Route 13 south to Route 2, which is much longer but more pleasant.

Commuter rail in NH is one of those things that's constantly being talked about, but nothing concrete ever comes to fruition. Right now Nashua is pursing a station on its own, b/c the truckers sued to keep the state from contributing gas tax $$. The state legislature recently changed parties though so I'm hopeful the new lawmakers will look a little more favorably on commuter rail.

I commute from Southern NH to Waltham, Mass. every day and the commute is pretty rough. Even though Route 3 was widened to 6 lanes a few years ago, it can really bottleneck around Lowell and Route 128 is of course a disaster. Lately I've been taking Route 13 south to Route 2, which is much longer but more pleasant.

Commuter rail in NH is one of those things that's constantly being talked about, but nothing concrete ever comes to fruition. Right now Nashua is pursing a station on its own, b/c the truckers sued to keep the state from contributing gas tax $$. The state legislature recently changed parties though so I'm hopeful the new lawmakers will look a little more favorably on commuter rail.

It's not the truckers really who pushed that through. It was more a political push from the conservative forces in the state, using the truckers as a front line of offense.

Keep in mind that the real issue wasn't just commuter rail, but improving that line through New Hampshire and up through Vermont to Montreal. There is a big trucking threat there.

Well ultimately the truckers successfully sued the state b/c I guess its in the state constitution that gas tax $$ can only go towards improving roads. Thats not to say they can't find the cash in other places though.

Right now the state is in court with the League of Conservation Voters over the I-93 widening project - the state is trying to expand 93 from 4 to 8 lanes from Manchester to the Mass. border. LCV is suing b/c the state didn't include any commuter rail $ in the project's $750 million budget.

I happen to agree w/ them that commuter rail should be expanded not just to Nashua, but the commuter-rich I-93 communities of Salem, Derry, and on up in to Manchester.

• 2 years later...

Archived