One Beale

qwertycc

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memphis Daily News article discussing One Beale and the proposed North Downtown 28-story condo and their Land Use Control Board hearings. Good to see 70,000 square feet of Class A space and an equivalent amount of high-end retail coming into the market. Referring to a previous post, I'm pretty sure Maki and his colleagues scan this board. If the MBJ can quote almost directly from some of our postings, the CA probably takes a look as well.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=93866

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...4906169,00.html

One Beale is to be the city's new tallest at 435 feet and Carlisle says the hotel won't be a Ritz Carlton. I wonder if either Maki or Carlisle lurk this forum and just want end speculations :ph34r:

And I believe someone mentioned more Class A office space coming to downtown might spark a trend. One Beale is gonna have 70,000 square feet so lets wait and see.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=93866

yay! a new tallest for memphis!

its going to be a whole 5 feet!! lol. by the time it settles in 20-40 years it will be the same height :rofl:

anyway this is awesome... im stilll really excited for this. and i want to see a rendering thats farther back

its going to be a whole 5 feet!! lol. by the time it settles in 20-40 years it will be the same height :rofl:

anyway this is awesome... im stilll really excited for this. and i want to see a rendering thats farther back

I"ll keep everyone posted - it looks awesome by the way.

This is great. This is a great city and all it needs is some downtown improvements. Crime is everywhere, and beloved Phoenix has the highest crime rates in the country. While in Orlando I was shocked at all their crime. With improvements to the downtown, this city will again be a true jewel.

When I put "Crime is everywhere", I was referring to all across the country just in case we have trollers.

I haven't seen the renderings yet. If someone finds them, I would really appreciate it.

go to the site 1beale.com or onebeale.com

theyve got a small flash movie at the beginning in which you can sort of see the buildings up close.

i want a rendering thats far away

speaking of towers when is groundbreaking on the Horizon start?

This is great. This is a great city and all it needs is some downtown improvements. Crime is everywhere, and beloved Phoenix has the highest crime rates in the country. While in Orlando I was shocked at all their crime. With improvements to the downtown, this city will again be a true jewel.

When I put "Crime is everywhere", I was referring to all across the country just in case we have trollers.

Jacksonville has an incredible crime rate as well (leads the state), and is undergoing something of a boom.

At which point it settles, I'll be willing to stand on top, but I'd need some help. We'll need to work in shifts.

Count me in i'm 6' tall barefoot, and 6'3 in my wifes heels... omg did I say that (FORGET THE HEEL PART) lol

We're doing these one at a time right? Otherwise, I'm agonna request different days than memphica. No offense dude. But I'm gonna have to get rid of these visuals. :sick:

GRRR!!! Looks like our fine socialite and occasional fashion designer Pat Kerr Tigrett and some of her Waterford Place buddies oppose the One Beale project because it might block some of their views. Now it's a 30-day delay for Carlisle to get project approval.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/real_e...4908663,00.html

You know, I don't want to go off on a rant here, but good grief, it's that kind of thinking which has given us a downtown which has had one class A office building constructed in the past 21 years. Just when we're finally, maybe starting to turn a corner, people such as these who actually have some pull in city politics try to reduce the scale of the project or even eliminate it. One Beale can only improve the real estate values downtown, and who knows, Tigrett just might have the money to buy one of the new condos.

Enough of that; at least the article has a decent rendering of the project and the print edition even has a rendering of the St. Mary's project in North Downtown. It's a decent looking tower.

Enough of that; at least the article has a decent rendering of the project ... It's a decent looking tower.

You meant to say - a great rendering right? LOL

Glad it came out - we've been sitting on it since Monday. Actually thought it was going to show up in the Thursday article. News 3 showed the video clip that we created for the website last night at 10 as well.

You meant to say - a great rendering right? LOL

I was 1/2 referring to the St. Mary's rendering. Not much detail in the small black-and-white picture the print edition had. Unfortunately the online edition didn't have the St. Mary's picture and only a small rendering of the One Beale. When are we going to see a great, er, fantastic, 800x600 or better picture on the website?

Hate to be a board hog (sorry, RK), but I saw this blurb in the MBJ about the Land Use Control Board freeze. Looks like One Beale grew to 468 feet in the past few days...

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

If that's the case (if Tigrett and Co. don't kill it), Clobber, Dale, and Memphica can rest easy and the high heels can thankfully stay put :thumbsup:

I'm sure this happens in other cities. But since I live here in the Memphis area, I guess i just hear about small minded thinkers more. How could these towers be anything but good. And as far as the veiws are concerned I think ONE Beale would be a great veiw! Not to mention bring up the areas realestate prices. Oh well kick on Tigrett, ask walter baley where that got him with the FORUM. (PS I'm putting the heels up temporarily mind you 30 days ha ha)

I think this project will be stalled but not to long. Memphis is getting a possible "Icon" tower and a possible increase in real estate values, like mentioned above. Sorry, Waterfront, but these types of things happen with time. Skylines change shape over a period of time. They have to be realistic. "Its obstructing our views?" Like Waterfront is supposed to be the only tower with a good view. This is called competition and right now its One Beale's turn to shine. I say build the hell out of this tower. (Right in front of Waterfront).

Sorry about the rant.

Even though I'm in support of One Beale, I can see the concern of the people of Waterford Plaza. If I was investing $1,800/month, I certainly won't want my condo's resale chances to go down. Dunno how much their worries would matter since its basically Waterford Plaza vs. Waterford Plaza+One Beale. According to the MBJ article, Carlisle said "The project, which has been redesigned from the initial proposal, will minimize obstruction of views because of the building's placement on the property and the nature of the two towers, which will allow for light and views in between the residential and hotel components. You can't do this project or any kind of project of any stature without some kind of obstruction." These kind of things happen in Chicago all the time. Its just the reality of city life.

Edit-Another article on One Beale w/ rendering for those of you who don't have CA registration...

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A18488

The supporters of this project are Office of Planning and Development staff and the Center City Commission and I believe their opinions would be the only one that counts in the end.

I was 1/2 referring to the St. Mary's rendering. Not much detail in the small black-and-white picture the print edition had. Unfortunately the online edition didn't have the St. Mary's picture and only a small rendering of the One Beale. When are we going to see a great, er, fantastic, 800x600 or better picture on the website?

What did the St. Mary's rendering look like?

And the only compromise I would encourage would be to maybe back One Beale away from the tracks. It looks like it abuts it. Maybe if the property allows it, push it toward Front? I remember someone saying that Carlisle owned the parking lot by Front west from the Orpheum. Same height, maybe preserves more views? The prob with Waterford is that it's built against Front, and there's that parking lot between it and the tracks. That's available, developable land that is wasted, and with projects like this, they will suffer b/c of it.

Under no condition would I want the project shrunk.

Archived