NWA media

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cox sucks.

Any word on any of the NWA cities using the new AT&T internet cable? I know Little Rock is allowing them in and Comcast was none too happy about it. It would be pretty useful to bundle telephone, internet access, and cable into one bill. I'll have to think about it.

I've heard about it but I don't know if it's available around here yet though.

Cox sucks.

Any word on any of the NWA cities using the new AT&T internet cable? I know Little Rock is allowing them in and Comcast was none too happy about it. It would be pretty useful to bundle telephone, internet access, and cable into one bill. I'll have to think about it.

Since I am living in Tulsa for about 1/2 the week, I have all three bundled into one bill. It is a little cheaper, but it is still Cox. I am beginning to have internet problems with them. First I had tv problems, then came the phone, now it internet...it never stops.

Anyone using Cox might be losing their HD channel of KHOG. Doesn't sound like negotiations between Cox and the owners of the station have been going very well so far.

Yeah, I noticed that article. I am not thrilled at all. We are supposed to be going towards all HD eventually, but not here in Arkansas. We have to move backward first. Looking at the guilde for channel 720 (ABC HD in Fayetteville) all it says already is No Data...

It does appear that Fox24 is going to take us on a trip down memory lane to the 70's when the news was centered on Fort Smith. At least it made sense then before all the growth in NWA. I'm surprised that they are catoring so much to Fort Smith on 24 since it is the same people who brought you KNWA centered on NWA. It seemed we had finally turned the corner and the stations were going to pay more attention to the more populous part of the region but time for two steps back.

Channel 5 and 40/29 are doing better at centering most coverage on NWA with 5's Bridgett Schultz here now. I'm not sure what the ultimate plan is with 24 focusing on the lesser populated and slower growing FSM region. It doesn't seem like a good business model. It is like Channel 8 focusing its attention on Bartlesville or Muskogee (where 8 started out at) and having Tulsa news as secondary.

^Welcome JJL to Urban Planet!!

We all agree that it's pretty pathetic for most of the news stations around here to have their central offices in Ft. Smith. I hate hearing about how Bartlesville elected a new mayor, or Salisaw has a new teaching program, when I can be learning about development and crime up in NWA.

Yeah, I noticed that article. I am not thrilled at all. We are supposed to be going towards all HD eventually, but not here in Arkansas. We have to move backward first. Looking at the guilde for channel 720 (ABC HD in Fayetteville) all it says already is No Data...

JJL, interesting.

Despite issues with content, however, the graphics and other elements of Fox 24's newscast I saw the other day were very sharp, very "major-market looking".

It does appear that Fox24 is going to take us on a trip down memory lane to the 70's when the news was centered on Fort Smith. At least it made sense then before all the growth in NWA. I'm surprised that they are catoring so much to Fort Smith on 24 since it is the same people who brought you KNWA centered on NWA. It seemed we had finally turned the corner and the stations were going to pay more attention to the more populous part of the region but time for two steps back.

Channel 5 and 40/29 are doing better at centering most coverage on NWA with 5's Bridgett Schultz here now. I'm not sure what the ultimate plan is with 24 focusing on the lesser populated and slower growing FSM region. It doesn't seem like a good business model. It is like Channel 8 focusing its attention on Bartlesville or Muskogee (where 8 started out at) and having Tulsa news as secondary.

Yeah I think it's a bit odd too. I don't know if they're going to this because the other stations are moving more to the NWA market and they figured they'd have a following for sticking more to the Ft Smith market or what. But when I had first heard about it being affiliated to KNWA I figured it was also going to be NWA news.

JJL, interesting.

Despite issues with content, however, the graphics and other elements of Fox 24's newscast I saw the other day were very sharp, very "major-market looking".

R U sure, because it didn't look very professional to me.

May'be I'll have to sit through an entire newscast.

Hey KJW, did they do the phone interview on Fox 24? Because we all know that 5 News, 40/29, etc all do it and it's so early 90's :sick: ?

R U sure, because it didn't look very professional to me.

May'be I'll have to sit through an entire newscast.

Hey KJW, did they do the phone interview on Fox 24? Because we all know that 5 News, 40/29, etc all do it and it's so early 90's :sick: ?

Matt...? (About the phone interview).

To me, the set decorations on Fox 24 look much more "big media market" than the solid-color background of Channel 5 or the (IMO) medium-quality illustration behind the anchors at Channel 40. Those to me look either a couple of decade behind or something one might envision in a newscast in a market about 100 places behind our current DMA ranking.

I really dislike those cell phone interviews with reporters. Drive the remote truck out there, throw the antenna up and give us a live shot. It's television, a visual media. They can even transmit video from a cell phone, CNN and FOX does it all the time. Just give us a visual instead of a reporters photo and a map.

As far as sets are concerned, someone a few years ago with KNWA told me the industrial look was the new thing. I think the brick wall background looks cheap and it looks like KNWA is doing their news broadcast from someone's basement as a school project. The painted background at 40/29 is just outdated. I do like the look of the new FOX stations newsroom, seems more professionally done, and of course Dana Sergeant can make anything look good.

I know these news stations have limited budgets, but we are a growing area and I think the population here deserves something better that what we're getting now. I would like to see more live shots, a lot more. I won't hold my breath for a news helicopter, but our area is large enough for one.

I finally watched the news on Fox 24 this week. I actually liked it, and it seemed the most progressive news station in the metro. You were right about the background, it's so far ahead of Channel 5. I'm still sticking with KNWA because it only focuses on NWA.

Yeah really my only complaint is that I wish it covered just mainly NWA rather being more regional and focusing a bit more on Ft Smith.

I forgot to mention this earlier but it looks like KFSM 5 is up for sale. The New York Times is selling off some of the tv stations that the own and it is one of them. It may not mean anything but it could potentially lead to some changes.

That's the oldest TV station in the market. (And it's been kind of sad to see their studios because I think they could be doing a lot more with this than they've done.) The NYT's owned it for decades...wonder what the price is and who will buy it?

KFSM - Mid 80s ownership: New York Times / Now: ?

KHBS/KHOG - Mid 80s ownership: The John Hernreich family / Now: Hearst-Argyle

KNWA - Mid 80s ownership: Griffin Grocery Company* / Now: Nexstar

* As KPOM-TV based in Fort Smith

That's the oldest TV station in the market. (And it's been kind of sad to see their studios because I think they could be doing a lot more with this than they've done.) The NYT's owned it for decades...wonder what the price is and who will buy it?

KFSM - Mid 80s ownership: New York Times / Now: ?

KHBS/KHOG - Mid 80s ownership: The John Hernreich family / Now: Hearst-Argyle

KNWA - Mid 80s ownership: Griffin Grocery Company* / Now: Nexstar

* As KPOM-TV based in Fort Smith

Of course I think many of us here would like to see a change like KFSM moved to NWA. Not sure if that would happen. Another thing that could be interesting if someone buys the station that already owns another station in the region. KNWA and KARK in Little Rock are owned by the same company and they now work together on their sports.

Of course I think many of us here would like to see a change like KFSM moved to NWA. Not sure if that would happen. Another thing that could be interesting if someone buys the station that already owns another station in the region. KNWA and KARK in Little Rock are owned by the same company and they now work together on their sports.

Boy, this will be interesting to watch...I still think they don't want to slight Fort Smith but if they move up here that might be nearly an unprecedented move by an original station in the market moving to a new city in the same market 75 miles away.

BTW, small news but news nonetheless...both the Hearst-Argyle and Nexstar web sites are listing this market as the #102 in the U.S., up from #104. (We're now right behind Evansville, IN).

Not great shakes and I question whether they've got 2006 special census figures added in, but still a move up.

EDIT: A few quick comparisons with Evansville:

- Their DMA was previously ranked #100, where we were #104. It comprises 22 counties as compared to FSM/NWA's 10.

- The Evansville MSA is around 345,000 in Indiana and Kentucky according to this 2004 article.

- The other significant metro area in the DMA is Owensboro, Kentucky (Daviess County on the map) with a population estimated at 91,000.

What's that tell us? Looks like given the number of counties, Evansville (in the Louisville Major Trading Area) has been quite the regional trading area for years. And that the FSM and NWA metro areas are almost fully carrying the water for their DMA (which means there's room for expansion not only as the area grows but if neighboring DMAs lose counties to FSM/NWA, as Joplin/Pittsburg lost Benton County in the 90s to this DMA). Nothing we haven't read here before but this market has room to grow...

Boy, this will be interesting to watch...I still think they don't want to slight Fort Smith but if they move up here that might be nearly an unprecedented move by an original station in the market moving to a new city in the same market 75 miles away.

This of course might never happen. But I still figure at some point in the future another station will relocate and be mainly located in NWA along with KNWA. I don't know if it will be a slight change where they still have a studio in Ft Smith that they just end up using less and less. Or if there's a chance that one of the other stations will simply see the growing trend and decide that NWA is where all the population is going to be.

I forgot to mention this earlier but it looks like KFSM 5 is up for sale. The New York Times is selling off some of the tv stations that the own and it is one of them. It may not mean anything but it could potentially lead to some changes.

Good, may'be they'll change their format and move up to NWA.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I seem to be out making comparisons I thought I might as well make one here as well. It's nothing big but one thing I liked seeing on Albuquerque's media was when they'd mention something happening they'd use a Google Earth image zooming in on the location. They'd also use the same thing to show were traffic problems were or road construction. Since NWA is pretty well represented on Google Earth it would be nice to see our local media do the same.

Good, may'be they'll change their format and move up to NWA.

Matt, I was reading an article the other day that said the top 100 DMAs (out of something like 207 of them in America) contend for 86% of the national advertising dollars. The Fort Smith/NWA market is flirting with the top 100 now (we're 102, and I don't know if that includes the special census numbers) and I still wonder whether the powers that be will split their Fort Smith presence.

The way this market's going, one never knows.

Welcome back, Mith!

Archived