NWA media

Looks like Cox and 40/29 still haven't worked out a deal. If something isn't worked out then I believe 40/29 will be pulled from Cox next month. Although you'd think someone will finally blink and make some concessions. But this has been going on for nearly a year. I thought I also saw something about KNWA actually having a noon newscast as well. Granted I'm always at work so I'm never around to see, but I wasn't aware of KNWA having a newscast at noon.

I never watch 40/29 anyway since Cox doesn't carry their HD signal. It's nice having KTUL/ Tulsa as the HD station- I watch their news quite often. I guess if 40/29 carries any Hog games I'll miss it, but otherwise it seems Cox has the upper hand, at least until AT&T starts offering video service through their UVERSE technology. Then the playing field should even out somewhat.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well 40/29 launched it's new state of the art studio today in Rogers. I was hoping they would broadcast in HD, since this is 2007, but I guess that's too much to hope for in our market.

I heard that was coming up but I wasn't sure when they were going to start. Thanks for the reminder.

I heard that was coming up but I wasn't sure when they were going to start. Thanks for the reminder.

Mith, I'm VERY impressed with the new set.

If we're going to be a top 100 market (which it looks like we're getting closer to every day) it's time that our newscasts and sets start looking like it, and this is a GREAT start. One thing...it almost sounds like they're shutting down their Fayetteville operations? Or are they keeping some kind of presence in that city.

Mith, I'm VERY impressed with the new set.

If we're going to be a top 100 market (which it looks like we're getting closer to every day) it's time that our newscasts and sets start looking like it, and this is a GREAT start. One thing...it almost sounds like they're shutting down their Fayetteville operations? Or are they keeping some kind of presence in that city.

Yeah I had gotten the impression earlier that they were relocating. But someone mentioned that they're keeping their Fayetteville studios as well. Although I guess they won't be doing much with them anymore. Maybe they'll keep some focus on sports there. I admit I don't watch 40/29 that often. But I was under the impression the weather was still focused out of Ft Smith. Although that was before this new studio. But I'm still guessing it will still be that way. Ah, their early morning news is on and I'm watching it now. From what I'm seeing their new studio does look nicer and more professional looking. They had said they looked for another location in Fayetteville but couldn't find one. Although I thought that was a bit odd, that they couldn't find any possible location anywhere in Fayetteville. But either way, it's a good idea for them to have something in Benton County. It is the most populous county up here. If the stations finally start making more of a move to NWA instead of Ft Smith I think they'll start bypassing Fayetteville more and choose Benton County.

Yeah I had gotten the impression earlier that they were relocating. But someone mentioned that they're keeping their Fayetteville studios as well. Although I guess they won't be doing much with them anymore. Maybe they'll keep some focus on sports there. I admit I don't watch 40/29 that often. But I was under the impression the weather was still focused out of Ft Smith. Although that was before this new studio. But I'm still guessing it will still be that way. Ah, their early morning news is on and I'm watching it now. From what I'm seeing their new studio does look nicer and more professional looking. They had said they looked for another location in Fayetteville but couldn't find one. Although I thought that was a bit odd, that they couldn't find any possible location anywhere in Fayetteville. But either way, it's a good idea for them to have something in Benton County. It is the most populous county up here. If the stations finally start making more of a move to NWA instead of Ft Smith I think they'll start bypassing Fayetteville more and choose Benton County.

Mith,

No offense to anyone (least of all you as kind as you are) but...I still don't think anyone realizes how unprecedented this is:

- KNWA 24, the NBC affiliate, essentially pulls out of Fort Smith (where they were KPOM), Arkansas' 2nd largest city to relocate to Rogers, Arkansas' 9th largest city. By doing so they raised a bit of a "stink" with Fort Smith threatening to drop the station from their cable system. I believe, honestly, that I-49 is going to be completed some day and that FSM will as a result of then becoming a major interstate crossroad experience growth (from its current 295,000 strong metro) just as studies have said it will - but even with that KNWA wanted to be "up here" rather than "down there".

- KHBS/KHOG (noting the call letters on the latter station), the ABC affiliate, essentially pulls its primary NWA operations out of Fayetteville , home of the University of Arkansas and the state's 4th largest city, leaving behind a smaller staff and facility in order to also relocate to Rogers, Arkansas' 9th largest city.

- By doing so, they're putting their primary NWA ops (and in KNWA's case, their primary ops) in a county that wasn't even part of the Fort Smith/Fayetteville DMA 20 years ago.

This all happens in the past four years.

I know on these UP NWA forums we try to separate fact from myth. (No pun intended to you, sir. ^_^ ) And one of the possible (or not) urban myths was the oft-repeated "There was a study done that said in x number of decades there will be 1 (to 2) million people living within a 50 mile radius of the Rogers Public Library."

Gang, these affiliates cannot afford to make big stupid decisions set in concrete, especially given that they've been serving Fort Smith and Fayetteville a lot longer than they've been broadcasting to Bentonville and Rogers. The more I see things like what the local affiliates are doing the more credence I give the "50 mile radius of the Rogers library" story...it's the only thing that makes sense to me of what they're doing.

Mith,

No offense to anyone (least of all you as kind as you are) but...I still don't think anyone realizes how unprecedented this is:

- KNWA 24, the NBC affiliate, essentially pulls out of Fort Smith (where they were KPOM), Arkansas' 2nd largest city to relocate to Rogers, Arkansas' 9th largest city. By doing so they raised a bit of a "stink" with Fort Smith threatening to drop the station from their cable system. I believe, honestly, that I-49 is going to be completed some day and that FSM will as a result of then becoming a major interstate crossroad experience growth (from its current 295,000 strong metro) just as studies have said it will - but even with that KNWA wanted to be "up here" rather than "down there".

- KHBS/KHOG (noting the call letters on the latter station), the ABC affiliate, essentially pulls its primary NWA operations out of Fayetteville , home of the University of Arkansas and the state's 4th largest city, leaving behind a smaller staff and facility in order to also relocate to Rogers, Arkansas' 9th largest city.

- By doing so, they're putting their primary NWA ops (and in KNWA's case, their primary ops) in a county that wasn't even part of the Fort Smith/Fayetteville DMA 20 years ago.

This all happens in the past four years.

I know on these UP NWA forums we try to separate fact from myth. (No pun intended to you, sir. ^_^ ) And one of the possible (or not) urban myths was the oft-repeated "There was a study done that said in x number of decades there will be 1 (to 2) million people living within a 50 mile radius of the Rogers Public Library."

Gang, these affiliates cannot afford to make big stupid decisions set in concrete, especially given that they've been serving Fort Smith and Fayetteville a lot longer than they've been broadcasting to Bentonville and Rogers. The more I see things like what the local affiliates are doing the more credence I give the "50 mile radius of the Rogers library" story...it's the only thing that makes sense to me of what they're doing.

KNWA still uses the downtown Fayetteville station for its main newscasts right? I thought that they just had a smaller Pinnacle Hills studio in Rogers. I think it is just the opposite for KHOG, they now have their larger station in Rogers and the older, smaller satellite station still in downtown Fayetteville. The reason for the move was because they could not find any decent priced, large commercial space in downtown Fayetteville (I don't think they were looking hard enough). Oh, and Fayetteville is the 3rd largest city in Arkansas thank you very much... :D

Strmchsr, thanks for correcting me and for buttressing my point.

* KNWA leaves Fort Smith, Arkansas' 2nd largest city to essentially become headquartered in Benton County, which wasn't even in their market two decades ago.

* KHOG (again, note their call letters) leaves behind what sounds like a skeleton operation in Fayetteville, Arkansas' 3rd largest city to build its sleek new studio (and essential headquarters north of the river) in Benton County just a mile south of KNWA.

Seriously, I don't think in the entire history of the United States would we EVER find similar instances of multiple local TV affiliates leaving (across county lines) a state's 2nd and 3rd largest cities for new primary bases of operation in a (for now) smaller city, let alone a city that neither affiliate officially served 20 years earlier.

Despite not having 'bigger' cities Benton County has been somewhat populous for a while. Fayetteville and Springdale might still be the top two most populous cities in the metro but Benton County passed up Washington County a while back (maybe late 90's-early 00's). But it makes sense to locate to Benton County, it's second to only Pulaski County. It also probably has better potential growth because Wal-mart is still drawing in vendors. But I am pretty sure Colby was right. KNWA's main broadcast is still out of the Fayetteville Square, not their offices in Pinnacle Hills. Perhaps that will change at some point in the future. But I think I may have been wrong on 40/29. I think they are basically moving most of their operations to Benton County, even weather. I'm sure they'll continue to use their other offices/studios. But I think they are going to try to base most of it out of Benton County. Although I'm still waiting to see if that will mean they'll start covering NWA a little more. Or at least not focus quite so much on the River Valley/east Oklahoma area. I'm also curious to see if KFSM will eventually open something in Benton County as well. Maybe drop or reduce their studio in Fayetteville. Or maybe they'll try to remain as the station that still tries to base themselves mainly out of Ft Smith.

From what I found out, 40/29 has all new digitial factilities in Rogers, they needed a larger facility, and a place for a new transmission tower, Fayetteville didn't have anything available or wouldn't work with them. Rogers seems to have the "yall come here" attitude that is attracting business. They are not going to do an HD news broadcast...ever. The station owners won't foot the bill for expensive HD equipment. They will keep their Ft Smith studio, which is old analog equipment, but the anchors and weather people have all moved up here. Guess we can count out a news helicopter too.

From what I found out, 40/29 has all new digitial factilities in Rogers, they needed a larger facility, and a place for a new transmission tower, Fayetteville didn't have anything available or wouldn't work with them. Rogers seems to have the "yall come here" attitude that is attracting business. They are not going to do an HD news broadcast...ever. The station owners won't foot the bill for expensive HD equipment. They will keep their Ft Smith studio, which is old analog equipment, but the anchors and weather people have all moved up here. Guess we can count out a news helicopter too.

Sorry I was busy and forgot to mention something I had heard. I also heard they had a few problems with some locations in Fayetteville. Apparently the hilly terrain caused some bad 'zones' where they had bad reception with their equipment down in Ft Smith. But you're also probably right about Rogers welcoming them in. That probably made a difference as well. But wouldn't they have to eventually do a HD news broadcast? Just seems like they'd have to eventually switch.

I continue to be impressed with KHBS/KHOG's new site - their sign's lit up like a white bullseye along I-540 now, adding further "color" to the corridor between Pinnacle and Lowell.

Yet, what's more intriguing is that they seem to be using new graphics now, and they seem to be staking out a certain area to deliver news to.

Most of it is the traditional Fort Smith/Fayetteville DMA that we've talked about, with a few exceptions, or rather, additions. Here are the counties highlighted on the map they use to discuss news - those currently in our DMA marked with an asterisk, counties in the DMA 20 years ago marked with a pound sign:

ARKANSAS

Benton*

Carroll

Crawford*#

Franklin*#

Johnson*

Logan*#

Madison*

Sebastian*#

Scott*#

Washington*#

MISSOURI

McDonald

OKLAHOMA

Adair

Delaware

LeFlore*#

Sequoyah*#

So, they're targeting nearly all of the counties, with the very understandable exception of Barry, MO, that we've mentioned being added into the DMA (and possibly the NWA metro if they're not there already). All of the counties with no asterisk/pound sign are adjacent to Benton County. As you can see, this nearly doubles the amount of counties in the DMA two decades ago.

BTW, the news map is definitely not the weather map, which has even more counties added into it, some of which are 98-100% never likely to be added to this DMA. KHBS regularly gives temperature readings for a town in McCurtain County, OK on the Texas border - when I was at KFSM 20 years ago the station used to regularly receive snail mail from listeners in towns near the Red River in the southern portion of that county.

No, the new FCC law says "digital" which is not HD. HD news is expensive to do and they will never ever ever do that in our market. If you have an HD tv watch HDNet news and you'll see the difference. It's amazing.

It'll be awhile but not never ever ever. Like most all electronic gear studio-level HD equipment drops in price a lot every year. I would bet within 5 years or so they will start converting over. Once the price of the electronic stuff drops they just have things like better makeup and sets to deal with.

I continue to be impressed with KHBS/KHOG's new site - their sign's lit up like a white bullseye along I-540 now, adding further "color" to the corridor between Pinnacle and Lowell.

Yet, what's more intriguing is that they seem to be using new graphics now, and they seem to be staking out a certain area to deliver news to.

Most of it is the traditional Fort Smith/Fayetteville DMA that we've talked about, with a few exceptions, or rather, additions. Here are the counties highlighted on the map they use to discuss news - those currently in our DMA marked with an asterisk, counties in the DMA 20 years ago marked with a pound sign:

ARKANSAS

Benton*

Carroll

Crawford*#

Franklin*#

Johnson*

Logan*#

Madison*

Sebastian*#

Scott*#

Washington*#

MISSOURI

McDonald

OKLAHOMA

Adair

Delaware

LeFlore*#

Sequoyah*#

So, they're targeting nearly all of the counties, with the very understandable exception of Barry, MO, that we've mentioned being added into the DMA (and possibly the NWA metro if they're not there already). All of the counties with no asterisk/pound sign are adjacent to Benton County. As you can see, this nearly doubles the amount of counties in the DMA two decades ago.

BTW, the news map is definitely not the weather map, which has even more counties added into it, some of which are 98-100% never likely to be added to this DMA. KHBS regularly gives temperature readings for a town in McCurtain County, OK on the Texas border - when I was at KFSM 20 years ago the station used to regularly receive snail mail from listeners in towns near the Red River in the southern portion of that county.

The surrounding area should be happy. At least it seems to me they focus quite a bit on news in the surrounding area like Oklahoma. I wouldn't mind some news from the surrounding areas but not quite as much as they seem to do. I'll probably check them out some more but I get the feeling I'll end up sticking to KNWA because of their focus to NWA.

• 1 year later...

As a bit of a surprise, apparently there's talk of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette and the Morning News merging. Basically leaving NWA with only one newspaper. The Ark Dem-Gaz is already charging for it's online news. I'd think that is this merger goes through then no more free online news from the Morning News either. Not sure if what obstacles there are or how long it would take for this merger to take place. Not sure if the Morning News employees will simply be folded into the NWA edition of the Dem-Gaz or how all of this will unfold.

Just to update my previous post. First of all the Morning News has to be put up for sale. If there's a buyer then things will pretty much continue as before. But if no buyer comes about then the partnership will be allowed. I'm not sure if this would really be a merger. Apparently both sides would still remain. The Morning News staff would focus more on the editorial aspect of the paper. I'm wondering if the Morning News would essentially become an insert into the Arkansas Democrat Gazette the way the NWA Times or the Benton County Record. Maybe the Dem Gaz would simply cut out their NWA section to make room for the Morning News part. Either way apparently the newspaper would still remain separate entities.

Just to update my previous post. First of all the Morning News has to be put up for sale. If there's a buyer then things will pretty much continue as before. But if no buyer comes about then the partnership will be allowed. I'm not sure if this would really be a merger. Apparently both sides would still remain. The Morning News staff would focus more on the editorial aspect of the paper. I'm wondering if the Morning News would essentially become an insert into the Arkansas Democrat Gazette the way the NWA Times or the Benton County Record. Maybe the Dem Gaz would simply cut out their NWA section to make room for the Morning News part. Either way apparently the newspaper would still remain separate entities.

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised- NWA is one of the few metros with two daily newspapers although I sure hate to see it happen. I read the Morning News article and wasn't sure how it is going to work either. It may indeed be like the NWA Times and Record are now and the Morning News will become an insert type paper. As far as editorial control the papers aren't that different - both are conservative right wing leaning although I think the Gazette is more strident in it's editorials ( to a fault IMO).

It's a shame what is happening to the newspaper industry. People don't realize how valuable a service these organizations provide. Where else will we get the in-depth local and state news coverage that they provide? I look at investigative reporting like what was done on the University of Central Arkansas troubles of the last couple of years and wonder who else would have done the hard work looking into what was happening. Here in Fayetteville we likely would never have known about the recent fiasco concerning the Fire Department personell firings (although we still don't know what really happened). Most of the in-depth reporting about local development news is done by the newspapers. It's like people don't recognize that it takes money to run these businesses and that they deserve support. I fear we will wake up one day and be in the dark about what is going on in our communities or at least only receive our news from sources that are not accountable to any standards. We certainly can't count on the soundbite coverage provided by local televison news- no offense intended- it's just the nature of tv news to do short segments.

I don't know what the answer is but I understand the need to charge for content- someone has to pay for the expense of producing that content.

True, a lot of other metros are now served by just one newspaper. But I think we all know that newspapers have taken a beaten in recent years. So I guess this shouldn't come as too big of a surprise. Sorta ironic how the Arkansas Democrat Gazette kept mentioning how well it was doing compared to other newspapers around the country. But turns out it was just just a little behind the curve. I don't regularly get the Morning News. But I've noticed the Ark Dem Gaz has been shrinking it's newspaper down lately. While this may not be a move we'd like to see I guess it's better than the Morning News just shutting down. I hope maybe this will lead to more NWA news in this overall paper. It's always irked me how the Ark Dem Gaz has non-NWA sometimes right on the cover of the NWA section of the paper. While it is nice to read about other things going on in the state, I've always felt the NWA aspect of the newspaper is being overlooked. I also wonder in the future if we're left with one newspaper if the Ark Dem Gaz eventually shifts just just one newspaper for the whole state with most of it's focus just in central Arkansas.

True, a lot of other metros are now served by just one newspaper. But I think we all know that newspapers have taken a beaten in recent years. So I guess this shouldn't come as too big of a surprise. Sorta ironic how the Arkansas Democrat Gazette kept mentioning how well it was doing compared to other newspapers around the country. But turns out it was just just a little behind the curve. I don't regularly get the Morning News. But I've noticed the Ark Dem Gaz has been shrinking it's newspaper down lately. While this may not be a move we'd like to see I guess it's better than the Morning News just shutting down. I hope maybe this will lead to more NWA news in this overall paper. It's always irked me how the Ark Dem Gaz has non-NWA sometimes right on the cover of the NWA section of the paper. While it is nice to read about other things going on in the state, I've always felt the NWA aspect of the newspaper is being overlooked. I also wonder in the future if we're left with one newspaper if the Ark Dem Gaz eventually shifts just just one newspaper for the whole state with most of it's focus just in central Arkansas.

I posted a comment on the article on the Morning News' website with to a similar effect- but this could be either good, giving us a paper with the local news attention/modern style of the morning news and the better national and regional stories of the Dem-Gazette... or it could leave us with a mediocre, watered-down version of the two. Don't get me wrong- I'm glad they'll still exist and won't be owned by Gannett or another giant, and I'm glad I'll still have a source for news that doesn't involve the excessive personal opinion and commentary of network news (none of them present true news anymore- they're editorial tirades with occasional news thrown in).

The latest I've heard is that the Ark Dem Gaz would focus on regional coverage and let the Morning News focus more on events in specific NWA cities. It also sounds like, they would have people in Springdale in Rogers get a Morning News sections. A bit like Fayetteville gets the NWA Times and Bentonville gets The Daily Record. Not sure if that also means the Morning News will basically focus on Springdale and Rogers events. While the Fayetteville market will continue to get the NWA Times and also Bentonville gets focus from The Daily Record.

• 4 weeks later...

One very disappointing aspect of the pay for content change at the ADG and NWA Times is you will have to pay for articles that have been archived. At what point after publication articles are archived I'm not sure but because I have already paid for the content I certainly shouldn't have to pay for it again if I want to view it a few days later. If the purpose of double-charging for content is to simply make a little more money I think it will backfire. I certainly won't pay twice- I'll either continue to add to my pile of hard copy, save it digitally or look for the information elsewhere. Anyone researching an issue in NWA online will find a roadblock on the NWA Times site- right now the archives aren't even set up. Viewers will look elsewhere thus lessening traffic to the sites and any potential revenue from online ads.

I fully understand the need to charge for content but double-charging is a bad idea. It isn't like the cost of digital storage is so high that this step is necessary- it's cheaper to store digital information now than it has ever been.

One very disappointing aspect of the pay for content change at the ADG and NWA Times is you will have to pay for articles that have been archived. At what point after publication articles are archived I'm not sure but because I have already paid for the content I certainly shouldn't have to pay for it again if I want to view it a few days later. If the purpose of double-charging for content is to simply make a little more money I think it will backfire. I certainly won't pay twice- I'll either continue to add to my pile of hard copy, save it digitally or look for the information elsewhere. Anyone researching an issue in NWA online will find a roadblock on the NWA Times site- right now the archives aren't even set up. Viewers will look elsewhere thus lessening traffic to the sites and any potential revenue from online ads.

I fully understand the need to charge for content but double-charging is a bad idea. It isn't like the cost of digital storage is so high that this step is necessary- it's cheaper to store digital information now than it has ever been.

Just curious when you say double pay do you mean even if you have a current subscription you still have to pay to look up older articles or do you mean you bought the newspaper back then and now have to pay to look up the old articles? Either way it basically boils down to the newspaper desperately looking for a way to bring in some income. I do have a nostalgia for newspapers and not sure I want to see them disappear. But in a number of ways it's hard for me to feel too sorry for them. I read a recent article online talking about how newspapers were basically monopolies and they grew stagnant and did nothing when change finally came about. I also think it's pretty ironic that the Ark Dem-Gaz just a few years ago was bragging how it's subscriptions were up compared to most other newspapers. When the sad truth was that Arkansas was just behind the curve and the same problems happening everywhere else finally hit here as well. Maybe instead of bragging it should have realized the problems happening everywhere else was going to eventually happen here as well and done more to prepare. The same article I read mentioned not all media is struggling. Some have adapted and are doing just fine.

Just curious when you say double pay do you mean even if you have a current subscription you still have to pay to look up older articles or do you mean you bought the newspaper back then and now have to pay to look up the old articles? Either way it basically boils down to the newspaper desperately looking for a way to bring in some income. I do have a nostalgia for newspapers and not sure I want to see them disappear. But in a number of ways it's hard for me to feel too sorry for them. I read a recent article online talking about how newspapers were basically monopolies and they grew stagnant and did nothing when change finally came about. I also think it's pretty ironic that the Ark Dem-Gaz just a few years ago was bragging how it's subscriptions were up compared to most other newspapers. When the sad truth was that Arkansas was just behind the curve and the same problems happening everywhere else finally hit here as well. Maybe instead of bragging it should have realized the problems happening everywhere else was going to eventually happen here as well and done more to prepare. The same article I read mentioned not all media is struggling. Some have adapted and are doing just fine.

I currently subscribe and when I try to look at an article from last week it gives the title and the first sentence or so of it and then a note saying that it will be in the archives for a price at a later date. There's got to be a better way.........

Archived