NWA media

I currently subscribe and when I try to look at an article from last week it gives the title and the first sentence or so of it and then a note saying that it will be in the archives for a price at a later date. There's got to be a better way.........

Yeah if you're subscribed I can't believe they're trying to charge again to view an older article. That does seem like a big rip off. I just don't see that if you're a paying subscriber you should be charged again to view an article you might have seen just a few months ago. As you mentioned earlier, the cost of digital storage isn't that high right now. Seems to me the Ark Dem-Gaz is going about it the wrong way to try to increase dipping revenues.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One very disappointing aspect of the pay for content change at the ADG and NWA Times is you will have to pay for articles that have been archived. At what point after publication articles are archived I'm not sure but because I have already paid for the content I certainly shouldn't have to pay for it again if I want to view it a few days later. If the purpose of double-charging for content is to simply make a little more money I think it will backfire. I certainly won't pay twice- I'll either continue to add to my pile of hard copy, save it digitally or look for the information elsewhere. Anyone researching an issue in NWA online will find a roadblock on the NWA Times site- right now the archives aren't even set up. Viewers will look elsewhere thus lessening traffic to the sites and any potential revenue from online ads.

I fully understand the need to charge for content but double-charging is a bad idea. It isn't like the cost of digital storage is so high that this step is necessary- it's cheaper to store digital information now than it has ever been.

I don't disagree. I am on-line subscriber and thought the same thing.

Mark

The ADG is really backward when it comes to its online edition. During the coverage of the recent merger one of their managers said something to the effect that online advertising was ineffective, and that they charged for the online version mainly to keep the print edition dominant. Would certainly discourage me from ever doing an ad buy on their site.

That said, I still like to get the paper as I think it's a more efficient way of reading news, if not as timely. I've tried to cobble together an online equivalent using the papers' RSS feeds, local TV websites, various websites for the circulars, etc. But the experience just isn't the same and both the News and ADG leave out many things that you get in the paper versions.

The ADG is really backward when it comes to its online edition. During the coverage of the recent merger one of their managers said something to the effect that online advertising was ineffective, and that they charged for the online version mainly to keep the print edition dominant. Would certainly discourage me from ever doing an ad buy on their site.

That said, I still like to get the paper as I think it's a more efficient way of reading news, if not as timely. I've tried to cobble together an online equivalent using the papers' RSS feeds, local TV websites, various websites for the circulars, etc. But the experience just isn't the same and both the News and ADG leave out many things that you get in the paper versions.

Yes, I'm more comfortable with the newspaper than trying to read the online edition . It's much more portable for me ( I refuse to try and read the paper on my phone!) and much easier to scan through. The local paper is essential for local news- I can get more up to date national news briefs from any number of outlets online. I do like the indepth reporting of national news found in the local paper though. I usually read every headline and then scan through the article, letter or column until I find those that I want to read carefully. There is much more in the hard copy and I do use the ads to find out information.

The flip side is that the online editon is much easier to look up old information with.

• 3 weeks later...

Well looks like it is official now. The Morning News will be merging with the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. The Morning News will soon be relegated to just being part of the newspaper in Springdale and Rogers. Does make me wonder though where newspapers are going. Sounds like as a whole newspapers are really dropping big time. Haven't heard any news lately about any other big newspapers closing down. But all the news I keep hearing are how sales keep dropping. Makes me nervous just having one newspaper not only representing the area but much the state as well. I admit I did tend to read it the most over the Morning News. But I did occasionally pick up the Morning News. They sometimes had an interesting article that the Ark Dem Gaz didn't. I saw the other day the newspaper mentioning it had moved up and it now the 45th (I think it was the 45th biggest newspaper) in the country now. Even though Little Rock is well below the 45th biggest city in the US. Of course it's also picking up a lot of readers outside of Little Rock as well. I believe it's also the major paper not only of central Arkansas but also southwest Arkansas. It had also pretty much become the major paper for NWA as well. The Morning News has been hanging in there and still does alright, but the Ark Dem Gaz had surpassed it in numbers quite a while back. Just as long as they don't get cocky about it like a few years ago. What really seems to be the case is that the state seems to be a bit behind to the overall trend. In a few years the Ark Dem Gaz could be in just as bad of shape as most of the newspapers seem to be in right now.

Sunday is the first newspaper between the two merged companies.

It's sad to see another newspaper bite the dust. It's sadder to see more productive and valuable employees lose their jobs. It's a case of we won't know how much we have lost until it's too late- chances are the quality and quanity of true independent reporting will go down in NWA. It's also true that the cost of the best impartial sources of news in NWA will go up. AND, for those idiots cheering for the demise of the Morning News- congrats- to a large extent you got what you wished for- less input in the public arena of differing opinions.

It's sad to see another newspaper bite the dust. It's sadder to see more productive and valuable employees lose their jobs. It's a case of we won't know how much we have lost until it's too late- chances are the quality and quantity of true independent reporting will go down in NWA. It's also true that the cost of the best impartial sources of news in NWA will go up. AND, for those idiots cheering for the demise of the Morning News- congrats- to a large extent you got what you wished for- less input in the public arena of differing opinions.

Were there people really cheering the demise of The Morning News? Even if you didn't care for it. There was a very easy solution, just don't buy it. As you said, now there's a monopoly that could hurt let alone more people unemployed.

• 1 month later...

I am annoyed with the our news paper! Stupid paid content. They should give me a 6 month free trial run for being a loyal customer and making them money by visiting their site before it required a fee... Now, it will say that an article doesn't require subscription but when you go into it you can't read all of it. Bothers me.

I am annoyed with the our news paper! Stupid paid content. They should give me a 6 month free trial run for being a loyal customer and making them money by visiting their site before it required a fee... Now, it will say that an article doesn't require subscription but when you go into it you can't read all of it. Bothers me.

Yeah I think they're really making a mistake setting it up like that.

Good news! The new NWAonline is avaiable and it gives subscribers the abilty to research the archives. I'm not sure how far back they go but there is a link to 2007 so it must be a ways back. The new site is clean and easy to navigate. Links to the individual papers takes to an online edition of the hard copy where you can expand each article to read- very nice. Itr turned our much better than some online newspapers around- some have so many popups and such that they are hard to read.

• 3 years later...

Hooray! The NWA Times has started publishing the metro buildings permits again. They are monthly and show the increase in activity in NWA. This is a very valuable service that while public information is diffibult for the average person to find.

Hooray! The NWA Times has started publishing the metro buildings permits again. They are monthly and show the increase in activity in NWA. This is a very valuable service that while public information is diffibult for the average person to find.

Sweet.   :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

Archived