Downtown Developments (North of Calhoun)

Spartan

That's really good to know. This area might not be a tourist hotspot like other areas of downtown (which is probably for the best), but the quality of life will dramatically improve for the residents of this area. The last I remember from riding through that area back in September (almost a year ago), the baseball stadium appeared somewhat isolated. I don't know how feasible it would be to try to integrate it better with the urban fabric of the neighborhood. But still, it represents investment, which is a good thing.

Marion Square represents a congregating area, that is enhanced by the 'borders' that mid-rises can provide.

I never thought about it like that, but that's true. The new Hilton will be to the north, the Francis Marion hotel is to the west, and the Mendel Rivers Federal Building is to the east. It's almost like these structures tower over the square, protecting it.

While I myself would like to see more revitalization take place on upper King, I really hope it doesn't become an extension of lower King. I like the local, down home flavor of upper King. It actually reminds me of Orangeburg's main street, Russell Street. It seems to be the place that a lot of locals would patronize before going down to lower King. I say keep the higher-end stores on lower King, and the city should try to make sure that locals aren't pushed out along upper King.

I never thought about it like that, but that's true. The new Hilton will be to the north, the Francis Marion hotel is to the west, and the Mendel Rivers Federal Building is to the east. It's almost like these structures tower over the square, protecting it.

While I myself would like to see more revitalization take place on upper King, I really hope it doesn't become an extension of lower King. I like the local, down home flavor of upper King. It actually reminds me of Orangeburg's main street, Russell Street. It seems to be the place that a lot of locals would patronize before going down to lower King. I say keep the higher-end stores on lower King, and the city should try to make sure that locals aren't pushed out along upper King.

That would be my hope as well. The area closest to Marion Square will probably 'nationalize' but hopefully the areas further away will be able to keep the local merchants. local OWNERSHIP of the buildings is key.

Quote from the City of Charleston's website:

"Trolley Barn Workshop

Trolley Barn, 665 Meeting Street

A Workshop to discuss and evaluate appropriate future use for the Trolley Barn. On Wednesday, October 12 the Civic Design Center held a community workshop to discuss the future use of the Trolley Barn. Over 100 people attended the event and provided input. Students from the Clemson Architecture Center investigated ten different possible uses for the Trolley Barn ranging from affordable housing to business incubator space."

Cool, huh? I've admired this marvelous old building for years, and the new bridge has just showcased its potential and brought it out into the open for consideration. I'm so excited at the possibilities! Here is the link:

http://www.charlestoncity.info/dept/conten...44&cid=3349

Edited by digital_sandlapper

• 4 weeks later...

Anson House Website

Website for the AnsonHouse, which is going up at Laurens and Concord.

The penthouse lists for $1,630 per heated square foot. heated space. WOW!

Another great site I found today. A blog on Charleston real Estate. The peninsula seems to be weathering the downturn very well.

Charleston Real Estate blog

Edited by vicupstate

The Charleston School of Law has signed a five-year lease on the vacant Chase Furniture building at 414 King St. in order to hold some of its classes there, according to the property's new owners. Plans call for classrooms on the first floor and faculty offices on the second floor. Renovations are expected to start soon, and the school could move in as early as Jan. 1.

Good to see upper King continue to attract investment. This building is located right beside the old library where the Hilton will be going up.

Anson House Website

Website for the AnsonHouse, which is going up at Laurens and Concord.

The penthouse lists for $1,630 per heated square foot. heated space. WOW!

Another great site I found today. A blog on Charleston real Estate. The peninsula seems to be weathering the downturn very well.

Charleston Real Estate blog

I noticed that the Anson House Site has a preliminary conceptual plan for Concord Park, which I havent seen. Maybe it is old news but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.ansonhouse.com/pdf/concord.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article from the latest edition of the Charleston Business Journal that talks about how the area north of Calhoun is experiencing a hotel boom. We've discussed the Hilton here on the site of the old county library building, but I didn't know that a 62-room boutique hotel is planned for 442 King St (behind Fish--I guess that's a restaurant, I'm not sure). Also, a third hotel is planned for the upper King and Meeting streets area and will be built off Meeting Street between Wolfe and Reid streets. Developers have received zoning approval for 180 rooms, plus condominiums, retail, a restaurant and spa in the mixed-use project. The new complex will include the Burris Liquors store at the corner of Meeting and Wolfe Street and is in the design review process.

The proposed 77-foot tall, 65-room boutique hotel for 442 King has gotten approval from the city. One of the local architects that designed the hotel stated, "We didn't want to do a building that would jump out, and we didn't need to do a building that would jump out." Apparently the design was a factor in the project getting an approval from local preservation groups as well as city planners.

Also, a new restaurant will be debuting on upper King. Called Virginia's on King, the new dining spot at 412 King St. will specialize in "sophisticated, high-quality Southern cuisine," according to one of the developers.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, it appears as though plans for the 180-room hotel off Meeting St by Tara Hospitality have temporarily been shelved, and plans have been canceled for the 65-room boutique hotel mentioned above. Elsewhere, plans for a 42-room hotel proposed for the corner of Meeting and Society streets were pulled last month after the would-be developer could not agree to a price on the land.

However, it appears as though the Hilton on the site of the old county library will still go on as planned, and a 250-room luxury hotel is planned for the Midtown property.

Source

• 2 months later...

Marion Square Hilton receives another approval

Just as the North end of Upper King will undergo further renaissance with the Midtown project, the south end of Upper King Street will do likewise with this project. Throw in the Mendal Rivers building, also facing Marion Square, and this area is about to explode.

• 1 month later...

I love the sound of that. Making a grand entrance to a city is something local governments have neglected in the past 100 years.

Anyway, I was curious if anybody knew what was being built by MUSC. It looks to be a 6 or 7 story building. I don't have a pic but you can see it rise from the ashley river bridge. The structure is about a block over from Cannon St.

Is it not part of their campus expansion process? I think we have a thread on that somewhere...

edit: Is this it?

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/MUSC-Tow...ton-t28360.html

Nope, it is quite a distance from the Ashley River Tower facility. The exact spot is on Bee St. precisely halfway between President st. and Ashley Ave. If you look on virtual earth you will see a cleared dirt lot. As of right now, just the steel frame of the building has been erected. However, you can see the steel frame driving over the ashley river bridge. I'm sure it's part of MUSC expansion but I have no clue which building it is.

Nope, it is quite a distance from the Ashley River Tower facility. The exact spot is on Bee St. precisely halfway between President st. and Ashley Ave. If you look on virtual earth you will see a cleared dirt lot. As of right now, just the steel frame of the building has been erected. However, you can see the steel frame driving over the ashley river bridge. I'm sure it's part of MUSC expansion but I have no clue which building it is.

That would either be the College of Dental Medicine's new building, or the new Drug discovery building. According to the university master plan those buildings are a part of phase 2 in reference to the vision 2020 expansion. The parking garage on Bee Street should be coming soon also.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Green on Meeting, a proposed five-story project of shops, offices and residential condominiums, is making its way through the city planning process. The project is planned for the corner of Reid and Meeting streets, now a vacant lot next to a gas station. The building will be constructed using environmentally friendly techniques. Plans call for 24 condo units to be built over ground-level parking and retail space. The second floor will also have offices, giving the project a total of about 5,000 square feet of commercial space. Fifteen of the residential units are designated as "work force housing," and residents will have to fall within designated income levels to qualify as buyers under city zoning rules. Prices for those units will likely start around $210,000.

green.jpg