Charlotte Pride

voyager12

^It should probably up shortly (the times of each performer) but Leanne will likely not be till Sat evening.  Here's current roster:  http://charlottepride.org/entertainment/

On a related matter - I hope everyone has seen that the Levine Museum of the New South is having an exhibity (Grand Opening tonight) called LGBTQ Perspectives on Equality".  It will include a history timeline of CLT LGBT events and as far as I know is the first major  exhibit of LGBT Life in the Carolinas!

• Like 2

Also Pride has lots of need and positions for volunteers! Everything from selling beer tickets to bar tending, helping with saturday morning setup to sunday evening break down. Lots lots lots. Message me if your interested, or you can swing by the volunteer page: http://charlottepride.org/volunteers/ for more info. It's a great time, and this year will be crazy :D

• 2 weeks later...

So I never been to pride and only considering it this year because Leanne Rimes grabbed my attention.

I had friends from Mnt. Airy coming down, and well. Now I'm sort of nervous to go because I personally found speed street to be extremely dull. Now I'm debating in Chimney Rock/Sliding Rock & Looking Glass falls vs. Carowinds vs. White Water Center...

Maybe I'll do White Water after Pride. Hmmm. I just don't want to be disappointed if its basically Aflac booths down Tryon. I admit more than anything I only want to go to support Charlotte and show how great we are :D butttt ... After looking at a YouTube video of 2013 parade... It doesn't look to promising.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

No Aflac, just Metlife and Liberty Mutual :)

While Pride does have significant corporate presence (BAC, Wells, PNC, TWC), participation in the festival is very diverse. From the food court and one end to the stage at the other, there are tons of exhibitors ranging from churches to aethiests, pets to political parties, AIDS organizations and LGBT arts groups. You won't have to look far for a variety of drinking opportunities (including a karaoke bar that was crazy last year), and if you are looking closely enough you'll find some fun, uh, toy booths. You could also just spend your money getting Charlotte Royals rugby boys wet at their dunk booth. I'm particularly proud of the "Faces of Diversity" art project that will be in front of the Bechtler - over 10,000 thumbprints will be collected to create a huge collage piece. And of course, the Parade steps off at 1 on Sunday. That's a whole other level of crazy. 

More than anything, I'd say Pride is set apart by a much lighter and more fun atmosphere than Speed Street. SS always feels "forced" to me, and most people at Pride are there to have a fun time. 

#sortofbiased

• Like 1

No Aflac, just Metlife and Liberty Mutual :)

While Pride does have significant corporate presence (BAC, Wells, PNC, TWC), participation in the festival is very diverse. From the food court and one end to the stage at the other, there are tons of exhibitors ranging from churches to aethiests, pets to political parties, AIDS organizations and LGBT arts groups. You won't have to look far for a variety of drinking opportunities (including a karaoke bar that was crazy last year), and if you are looking closely enough you'll find some fun, uh, toy booths. You could also just spend your money getting Charlotte Royals rugby boys wet at their dunk booth. I'm particularly proud of the "Faces of Diversity" art project that will be in front of the Bechtler - over 10,000 thumbprints will be collected to create a huge collage piece. And of course, the Parade steps off at 1 on Sunday. That's a whole other level of crazy.

More than anything, I'd say Pride is set apart by a much lighter and more fun atmosphere than Speed Street. SS always feels "forced" to me, and most people at Pride are there to have a fun time.

#sortofbiased

Thanks!

I think I'll go. Get there @ 12 - 6pm Sunday.

I want to ask something sort of OT. Where is a good place to eat during pride? i love Merts. I love the atmosphere & prices. Preferably uptown

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/08/13/5103612/charlotte-gay-pride-event-expects.html#.U-usbUjgW14

30 years ago the city refused to accept bus ads for the parade... 2014: expecting the most attendees ever as well as having the most corporate sponsorship (even if thats all PR bs). Quite amazing to see how this city has progressed and stepped out of the Stone Ages....unfortunately the same can't be said for the state.

• Like 1

Pride is really fun :) 10x better than any other parade or festival

Edit: the pride was really really fun. Stayed from 11am-6pm.

Leanne Rimes was Awesome!! I liked that the parade was really long. I'm really really glad I went. Afterwards went to Birkdale to Fox & Hounds and then we went bowling right by Birkdale right at Statesville & Sam Furr

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

Well, my feet hurt like hell, but it was worth it.

http://charlottepride.org/3278/charlotte-pride-breaks-100000-attendance-record/

I am impressed by the way Charlotte Pride has grown each year, especially the past four years. There was a really sad one in 2002 or 2003 and the one at the Music Factory was just weird and disjointed but now our little festival is all grown up. Can't wait to see how it does next year. We met some people up from Atlanta which given the size of their Pride makes me thing there's something to our fair city that's a draw. It made me smile.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So happy about this ruling! I'd love it even more if our fellow North Carolinians actually were the ones that made it happen, though. Right-wingers love to boost the parts of the constitution that they agree with, but of course they tend to ignore those parts that they don't agree with. I am glad the SCOTUS stepped up and knocked Amendment one down. A premature "Congrats!" to the UPers out there (and non-UPers, for that matter) that will now be able to have the same rights as everyone else and tie the knot!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I believe this law allows magistrates to deny marriage licenses to ANYONE, not just same-sex couples. Expect a lawsuit, and costly court battles. I could also see this reaching the Supreme Court.

Our GA is beyond psycho.  Hopefully next year, we can filter out just enough so that they don't have a veto proof majority. Laws like this are really damaging NC's reputation (what's left).

• 2 months later...

Charlotte Pride 2015 is upon us. Weather looks beautiful, the festival is bigger than ever (Stonewall to Trade), the parade is bigger than ever (120+ entries,3000+ participants), and the mood is happier than ever! I'll be running around in a green staff shirt, but if you see me say hi!

Also: if you're up for a little volunteer action, it's never too late to pitch in. We especially need help after 2:00 both days. http://charlottepride.org/volunteers/ or just come by the volunteer station at MLK & Tryon

• Like 1

Charlotte Pride 2015 is upon us. Weather looks beautiful, the festival is bigger than ever (Stonewall to Trade), the parade is bigger than ever (120+ entries,3000+ participants), and the mood is happier than ever! I'll be running around in a green staff shirt, but if you see me say hi!

Also: if you're up for a little volunteer action, it's never too late to pitch in. We especially need help after 2:00 both days. http://charlottepride.org/volunteers/ or just come by the volunteer station at MLK & Tryon

I'm flying into town for a funeral (ugh) but I'm going to probably check out the festivities. I'll come find you