Charlotte Pride

voyager12

Sunday is pretty much the same as Saturday except compressed into fewer hours. So... no. I'd say it's even more crazy especially as the parade ends and the throngs descend into the festival. Right at 3 the parade ends and the main stage will fire back up, as well as the karaoke bar right at Trade street. (Incidentally that's our highest need for volunteers, too.)

I'll be out at the festival Saturday and Sunday too.  I'm hosting out-of-town friends but would volunteer otherwise.  In my opinion, Charlotte Pride is one of best festivals in Charlotte every year, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a gay man.  It's an amazing celebration of diversity and inclusion in Charlotte (and an overall fun time for attendees), and our Pride has started to rival those of much larger cities.  Over 100,000 people attended over two days last year, and it keeps growing.  A far cry from a few years ago when there was no parade, no big-name entertainment, and no official recognition from our mayor or city council (which now has two openly-LGBT members - and possibly a third if former interim council member Billy Maddalon is elected to an at-large seat), and the festival was confined to private property to keep protesters (now almost non-existent) from harassing attendees.

• Like 1

I joined Pride in 2012, it's first two-day event and second year in Uptown and joined the committee in 2013 when it disassociated from the community center. We have several folks on the committee that have been with Pride since it's Gateway days, (not sure if anyone goes back to marshall park days). Hearing them talk about how far the festival has come in just a few years usually leads to tear-jerking and hugs.

• Like 2

I'm still in shock that such a large, successful Pride event happens in Charlotte.

It's a pleasant shock, of course.

So happy that I lived to see it, because when I blew out of here nearly 30 years ago vowing never to return, I would have bet my last dollar that Charlotte would never, ever embrace the gay.

Now look!

I did return and Charlotte has embraced the gay in a very public, out and loud kinda way. :P

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

https://mynorthwest.com/1027150/thousands-to-pack-seattle-streets-for-annual-pride-parade/

I was in Seattle for their parade and fest in June and my hotel was in the middle of the parade route. The report above says expecting 300,000 for that day. I was disappointed that in my window of  parade watching  their were no dogs in costume. I was promised dogs in costume. In the contract

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

https://mynorthwest.com/1027150/thousands-to-pack-seattle-streets-for-annual-pride-parade/

I was in Seattle for their parade and fest in June and my hotel was in the middle of the parade route. The report above says expecting 300,000 for that day. I was disappointed that in my window of  parade watching  their were no dogs in costume. I was promised dogs in costume. In the contract

There were a lot of dogs in costumes yesterday.  My favorite was in a  "Gay Service Dog" vest.  My dog was dressed as an overly hot dog and I kept the bottled water guy in business.   LOL.   

I think the 200k numbers they are reporting would be pretty accurate.  I took my daughter and got there around 1:45 and was shocked at how crowded it was (equally shocked that I didn't see one jackass heckler). Even the Jesus Saves guy was super nice and polite.  I was nervous about letting my young  teenage daughter attend without parent supervision but was totally fine (not that I would allow it in the near future) so I tagged along and was impressed with what the city displayed.

• 9 months later...

The other thing that makes this even more pleasing is Gorsuch (Trump nominee) wrote the majority opinion on this.  I do not follow Trumps tweets, but I am thinking it didn't make him happy.

Edited by nashbill
changed appointee to nominee
  • Like 1