Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

What do you guys think about starting a thread called Richmond Business?

Anyways...Richmond has the 22nd hottest job market in the country among all metros over 250k....

As a comparison with our neighbors, D.C. ranked 3rd while HR ranked 46th.

Good job and getting jobs Richmond! :)

Hottest Job Markets

Sounds good and logical to me. My following entry should go in there.

Carter Ryley Thomas, one of Virginia's largest independent public relations agencies, has merged with the Patrice Tanaka Agency in New York City. The firm will be known as CRT/tanaka and will maintain its headquarters in Richmond.

Sidebar: If I'm not mistaken Carter Ryley occupies the building in Manchester that at one time was the Spaghetti Factory Restaurant.

Tanaka counts among its clients Mercedes-Benz and Target Stores. Carter Ryley does PR and marketing services for Sprint, Phillip Morris. Pfizer and Capital One among others.

When asked how she feels about reporting from Manhattan to a headquarters in Richmond, Patrice Tanaka responded:

"I think that's exotic". :lol:

she must be confused about where Richmond was from when she saw my pics of Maymont's Japanese Garden :lol:

haha this is good news though. Richmond is starting to emerge as a small but competitive player in marketing and PR...

Ah so, coupe-san!!

:)

Are you going to move this to Richmond Business?

Only problem is the 'burbs grabs all the newbies. There are height restrictions in Henrico and probably Chesterfield, because there are no high rises in either county. But office parks and swanky shopping centers keep spreading further and further west and activity in the city, thus far, has been mostly residential. However, with Centennial and, hopefully, Bow Tie the tide may be changing.

Speaking of businesses going out in the burbs, your area reminds me of the RTP (Research Triangle Park) area in Raleigh. Only now are significant new construction going up in the downtown area.

Edited by guynvb

well downtown used to be home the big 3 banking institutions (Signet, Crestar, Central Fidelity)...once they were bought out, the biggest company based downtown is Dominion...

And...ahem...we all know where those banks went!

How about Media General? Isn't that as big or bigger than Dominion? Of course, the State Government is the biggest of all followed by the city govt.

I think those law firms are Richmond based. The largest is McGuire Woods

Aside from the law firms, I was talking about corporate HQ's ... I don't think Media General is larger than dominion. Dominion is like top 5 for Energy Companies in the U.S. They make a lot of money out of their gas exploration businesses and of course, through Virginia Power....

and there is the new Richmond Business section for this kind of stuff too :)

Edited by wrldcoupe4

regarding the discussion in the Developments section

The banks, though the main HQ's left, still kept major operations here.... Suntrust Mortgage and their Mid-Atlantic HQ are based in Richmond. Wachovia Securities (maybe their mid-atlantic office too) are based in Richmond as is BB&T's Capital Markets. Bank of America has regional HQ in Richmond as well I think too... could be wrong though.

Yes! We have to remember that this thread is here now! Let's use it. Of course, now that Jet Blue is coming to town, I'm hoping we'll have lots of opportunities to post here.

(Didn't think I was going to let this be the only thread without mention of Jet Blue, did you? hahahahaha). :rofl:

I think those law firms are Richmond based. The largest is McGuire Woods

Aside from the law firms, I was talking about corporate HQ's ... I don't think Media General is larger than dominion. Dominion is like top 5 for Energy Companies in the U.S. They make a lot of money out of their gas exploration businesses and of course, through Virginia Power....

and there is the new Richmond Business section for this kind of stuff too :)

Before we go to the new thread, I think Hunton Williams is larger than McGuire Woods. It used to be. Both are headquartered in Richmond and have offices all over the World. They both rank up there among the 100 largest law firms in the country, I believe.

Edited by burt

Yes! We have to remember that this thread is here now! Let's use it. Of course, now that Jet Blue is coming to town, I'm hoping we'll have lots of opportunities to post here.

(Didn't think I was going to let this be the only thread without mention of Jet Blue, did you? hahahahaha). :rofl:

:rofl: Good job Burt! I like. I like! In all honesty though, JetBlue will be a boon for business and HQs in Richmond. I'm glad that they are going to focus on NY, but I hope they expand their service westward and southward as well soon. I think they may seriously consider it because I believe that they will see a lot of riders and packed aircraft flying to and from Richmond and will want to capitalize on other popular destinations from Richmond. The business community in Richmond has to be ecstatic about this announcement - oh, this is a dream come true for them!

The Goya Food company out of New Jersey is going to build and operate a distribution center at Southpoint business Park in Prince George county in the Tri-Cities area. Goya specializes in Mexican/Puerto Rican foods and condiments. The Prince George center will employ 60 people with salaries ranging from $19K to $90K.

The Capital Club, a fitness center that had flourished in James Center, will relocate to 10,000 sq. ft on the 2nd floor of Bank of America at 1111 East Main Street. The space used to be a cafeteria.

The new Capital Club will offer all the fancy services formerly available at the James Center site, about 2 blocks away. Plush locker rooms, workout facilities, conncierge service and, apparently, fancy food service. Opening is expected in the spring.

The Old site is now the James Center YMCA.

Tech Jobs for Chesterfield... :thumbsup:

Chesterfield to gain up to 80 new jobs

Richmond.com

Friday, October 14, 2005

Governor Mark R. Warner announced that Redemtech, Inc., a leading provider of information technology asset management solutions, will invest $1.2 million to open a facility in Chesterfield County. The company will initially create 30 new jobs and grow to 80 within 30 months. Virginia successfully competed against Connecticut, Pennsylvania and South Carolina for the project.