West Columbia, Cayce & Downtown Lexington

krazeeboi

Is this the project that was supposed to go on State St at Meeting St in that vacant lot?

If you drive into Columbia on Jarvis Clapman Blvd, just before you cross over Sunset Drive there is a sign with a rendering. It will sit on a hill next to Jarvis Clapman, kind of behind that shopping center at Sunset, Meeting and State streets.

Bad timing for that market segment. If West Columbia was smart they would be encouraging developers to start with offerings in a lower price range and build the area up from there. I think this project and others like it will be stalled indefinitely in the current climate. People won't pay that there right now -- not to overlook the chicken plant. However, if they built projects at a lower price range and geared them towards the kind of people that actually hang out on State Street -- young creative types and gritty hipsters -- it would fly off the shelves so to speak. Get a clue, developers!

Edited by emerging.me

Bad timing for that market segment. If West Columbia was smart they would be encouraging developers to start with offerings in a lower price range and build the area up from there. I think this project and others like it will be stalled indefinitely in the current climate. People won't pay that there right now -- not to overlook the chicken plant. However, if they built projects at a lower price range and geared them towards the kind of people that actually hang out on State Street -- young creative types and gritty hipsters -- it would fly off the shelves so to speak. Get a clue, developers!

Excellent points. I've long said that if you have a family, why downtown? Unless you're committed to private schools.

Plus, if I have $450k for housing, it won't be spent on 1900SF when I can get three times that in Wildewood or Lake Murray.

And much better public schools.

This rash and rush of overdevelopment is frightening.

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."

Excellent points. I've long said that if you have a family, why downtown? Unless you're committed to private schools.

Plus, if I have $450k for housing, it won't be spent on 1900SF when I can get three times that in Wildewood or Lake Murray.

:rolleyes: if you're just out of college, single, young, a young couple with no kids or an old couple whose kids are out of the house who now want a smaller place, why not? especially if you work in the area and want to save money on gas.

While most people spending that much money on a condo don't want to overlook the chicken plant, I disagree with you about preferring to live in Wildewood or Lake Murray. I can think of no more boring predicament than to live in the suburbs.

• 6 months later...

Triangle City in West Columbia is getting a makeover, the Free-Times reports. The area along 12th St. between B and D Avenues used to be West Columbia's economic core, but has since become an eyesore. Phase 1 and 2 plans include sidewalks, curb and gutter, planters, drainage imporvements, an irrigation system, and landscaping. Overhead powerlines will be buried and utility poles will be replaced with decorative streetlights and poles, as well as new traffic signals. Phase 3 calls for a park at 12th and Augusta St. Completion is expected by year's end. Funds provided through an SCDOT grant and matched money from the city.

That area has really been neglected and looks very run down. Glad to see improvements being made. :good:

Edited by BrasilnSC

Triangle City in West Columbia is getting a makeover, the Free-Times reports. The area along 12th St. between B and D Avenues used to be West Columbia's economic core, but has since become an eyesore. Phase 1 and 2 plans include sidewalks, curb and gutter, planters, drainage imporvements, an irrigation system, and landscaping. Overhead powerlines will be buried and utility poles will be replaced with decorative streetlights and poles, as well as new traffic signals. Phase 3 calls for a park at 12th and Augusta St. Completion is expected by year's end. Funds provided through an SCDOT grant and matched money from the city.

That area has really been neglected and looks very run down. Glad to see improvements being made. :good:

Fantastic news. Triangle City always looked like it coudl be a really cool place to me, except there was nothing to do.

It is the area anear the intesection of 12th Street and US1 in West Columbia. There are a lot of really cool store there and a few good resteraunts (Bogart's, Zestos, Compton's Kitchen). There are a few Mexican grocery stores where you can get Mexican market Coke, which is made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard this project is getting a reboot, and may be moving in a direction that a lot of would deem "way cooler" than it seemed before. :)

Did a little research... The property is actually off of Meeting Street and faces Jarvis Klampman. It's in a little area that is still kind of "gritty" but has a lot of potential.

Edited by emerging.me

I heard this project is getting a reboot, and may be moving in a direction that a lot of would deem "way cooler" than it seemed before. :)

Did a little research... The property is actually off of Meeting Street and faces Jarvis Klampman. It's in a little area that is still kind of "gritty" but has a lot of potential.

That would be like next to the chicken plant, wouldn't it?