West Columbia, Cayce & Downtown Lexington

krazeeboi

Has anyone driven down Knox Abbot near the bridge to see if construction has begun on One Eleven? This will continue the slow gentrification of that area, and improve the gateway for travelers arriving in Cola from the airport.

One Eleven? you talking about that Apartment complex where the old monterrey restaurant used to be?

• 1 month later...

"Thompson, meanwhile, described plans for a development on the brick kiln site near the Knox Abbot bridge, including a hotel, multi-family housing and pedestrian access to the nearby Parkland Plaza". This is information gleaned from an article in the Free Times, on riverfront development. Thompson is the spokesperson for the Guinyard family, which owns so much of the land on both sides of the Congaree. If done right, this could be another spectacular develpment! I like that the kilns have been preserved. Any chance one gets to save and incorporate a piece of history into a modern development- that's good lovin'!  

The Cayce side of the river is a little tricky because it's been partially developed, unlike the Columbia side. There's an apartment complex immediately next to the proposed site (I believe), but there's also a trail entrance to the riverwalk. This could be a nice development if it has a decent street presence.

"Thompson, meanwhile, described plans for a development on the brick kiln site near the Knox Abbot bridge, including a hotel, multi-family housing and pedestrian access to the nearby Parkland Plaza". This is information gleaned from an article in the Free Times, on riverfront development. Thompson is the spokesperson for the Guinyard family, which owns so much of the land on both sides of the Congaree. If done right, this could be another spectacular develpment! I like that the kilns have been preserved. Any chance one gets to save and incorporate a piece of history into a modern development- that's good lovin'!  

What was the date on that article? I feel like I read the same thing about 10 years ago.

What was the date on that article? I feel like I read the same thing about 10 years ago.

It came out in this week's Free-Times. Thompson spoke at the meeting about riverfront development. The Guinyards are a hell of a family, but they take their time in acting on such things. You don't get "do-overs" in this type of activity, so I respect the deliberate approach they're taking. Of course, personally, I want it all done yesterday! Ha.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The developers of the West Columbia project announced 400 parking spaces. I'm not sure if that would be enough for 235 residences and offices and shopping, unless apartment residents were charged for parking (which they may be). 

http://www.thestate.com/latest-news/article54795155.html

Edited by carolinagarnet

On 12/2/2015 at 11:12 PM, carolinagarnet said:

Looks like the riverfront project received initial approval.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article47469260.html

With the way markets are. I am expecting all projects to be put on hold in Columbia pretty soon. Even projects in Charlotte will face construction or planning halts. 

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

With the way markets are. I am expecting all projects to be put on hold in Columbia pretty soon. Even projects in Charlotte will face construction or planning halts. 

Its because of Chinas market if China falls than it will take america down with them. i think if this happens our progress of recovering since 2008 will all be for nothing

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

I work in finance and I'll say I don't think it will have any impact. Stock market adjustments do not necessarily tell us anything about the underlying strength of the economy, particularly the rental market. The growth rate in SC may be low, but we're not in a recession. The only thing that would cause the developers to shelf the project would be oversaturation in the rental market. There's a real risk that Columbia could overbuild if the job market does not expand (which is why I'm glad the city sunseted the tax break for student housing). That said, I don't think we're there yet. If anything, I think the parking garage tower and the library building may be delayed for a couple years.

Nestled at the corner of West Columbia’s State and Meeting streets rests an untapped gold mine.

Just below the property, hundreds of daily visitors flock to the Riverwalk, its pristine views of the Congaree River providing its own unique experience. Across the bridge towering over it lies the Vista, an exploding corridor which continues to swell with new business. And just above the property sits pathways to Cayce and Lexington, two key cogs in the Midlands’ continued growth.

“This community really is the gateway to the city of Columbia, the gateway to West Columbia, the gateway to Lexington County, Richland County,” said Matt Mundy, CEO of real estate developer Estates & Companies. “Everybody passes by it when they’ve got to go from one place to another.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56725-development-rsquo-s-future-west-columbia-home-viewed-as-lsquo-gateway-to-the-city-rsquo

12 hours ago, growingup15 said:

Nestled at the corner of West Columbia’s State and Meeting streets rests an untapped gold mine.

Just below the property, hundreds of daily visitors flock to the Riverwalk, its pristine views of the Congaree River providing its own unique experience. Across the bridge towering over it lies the Vista, an exploding corridor which continues to swell with new business. And just above the property sits pathways to Cayce and Lexington, two key cogs in the Midlands’ continued growth.

“This community really is the gateway to the city of Columbia, the gateway to West Columbia, the gateway to Lexington County, Richland County,” said Matt Mundy, CEO of real estate developer Estates & Companies. “Everybody passes by it when they’ve got to go from one place to another.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56725-development-rsquo-s-future-west-columbia-home-viewed-as-lsquo-gateway-to-the-city-rsquo

Fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article62342257.html

An outlet mall is being planned for Cayce near the interchange of Interstate 77 and 12th Street Extension, according to a Vermont development company’s website.

Columbia Capital Outlets would be located near SCANA Corp.’s headquarters off Saxe Gotha Road. The 300,000-square-foot site, at Exit 2 on I-77, is 11 minutes from downtown Columbia and easily accessible to I-77, according to the development company.

10 hours ago, growingup15 said:

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article62342257.html

An outlet mall is being planned for Cayce near the interchange of Interstate 77 and 12th Street Extension, according to a Vermont development company’s website.

Columbia Capital Outlets would be located near SCANA Corp.’s headquarters off Saxe Gotha Road. The 300,000-square-foot site, at Exit 2 on I-77, is 11 minutes from downtown Columbia and easily accessible to I-77, according to the development company.

My first thought was, "this will impact the Vista and Bull Street Commons", but I think it is more likely to draw business away from Columbiana. Or just generate new business.

• 4 weeks later...

I think its the latter. There are a ton of residential areas in the south and southwest parts of the metro that aren't well served by this type of retail. They will also get a lot of business from people driving to/from the beach and NC (ie: me) if they have stores that I need.

• 1 month later...

Outlets would likely offer some stores that would be new to all of Columbia so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do well here, assuming variety is a factor.

Looks like this whole area is being called "Otarre" and the plan is to expand it a good bit: http://otarre.com/  Their map isn't up to date though - an apartment complex went up last year across from the tennis center and a Courtyard Marriott is under construction next to it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Aye the Brookland Project is set to startby years end. This is exciting. i can't wait to see that area be jam packed with people and retail. the riverwalk will definately get more foot traffic because of this.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article93379657.html

I do have a question. whatever is gonna happen to that land on the Cayce side across the street from the Tremomt Apartments. i wonder if any developer is gonna look at that soon.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...