West Columbia, Cayce & Downtown Lexington

krazeeboi

^ You beat me to it. And its still dead, sadly. I did mean to ask about the parcel across from Monterrey's, but forgot.

I walked by Cayce School yesterday and it looks like it will be replaced by a 24-28 unit town home development. I haven't seen any action other than erecting a sign, so I'm not sure how viable it is right now. The homes are to be three bedrooms priced fom the 150s according to the sign.

I think the big bugaboo in the Cayce school project would be the asbestos abetment.

• 4 weeks later...

Story in The State today about the project on the West Bank (or "Vista West," as I prefer to call it) in "the pit." It will be a three-story, 150,000-square-foot complex of shops, restaurants and offices to be built between State Street and the riverwalk amphitheater on the west side of the Congaree River. The Rivertown complex, as it is called, will front Meeting and State streets and Alexander Road and feature 350 parking spaces on two internal decks.

891-westbank-map-071024.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

One potential issue with the design is the removal of the gravel parking lot adjacent to Alexander. This lot is nearly full on weekends in the summer with people heading down to the river area. Granted, the lot is an eyesore, but it does serve a purpose. I'm not sure what the solution to this is: perhaps using the land across meeting near Bridgepointe or, connect the new park being built across the bridge with a walkway to the other side of the river?

• 1 month later...

Did you notice a small item in yesterday's State - I couldn't find it on line, but it was in the Neighbor's section of the paper:

Riverfront Development Imminent

Preliminary work has started on a mixed-use development at the north edge of Cayce. The site is a 16.4 acre tract along the Congaree River that abuts the Blossom Street Bridge. It is a project of the development company owned by the Guignards, descendants of early settlers whose family has controlled almost 100 acres on the riverfront for generations. Family representative Charlie Thompson outlined the undertaking:

What's planned there?

The finishing touches are still being applied, so it's premature to say what the mix of homes, offices and stores will be. The cost of the project is uncertain until those questions are answered. There's flexibility in what could be built. For instance, the area near the bridge on the river could be either a hotel or condominium. A building there will be no taller than about 70 feet - six or seven stories - but others elsewhere will be shorter. Some of it could be built by the family company while other developers tackle pieces in accord with the plan.

When will construction start?

Late spring is the goal once final details are settled. Everything could be built in as soon as five years.

What's going to happen to the four "beehive" kilns and office that remain from when the site was used for making bricks in the early 1900's?

Those will be preserved as a "museum component" of the development. However, the work under way includes tearing down an addition to the office that is not historically significant.

Yes, I saw that. Yesterday afternoon as I was driving into Columbia from work, I took Knox Abbott past that parcel. It was exciting to imagine that someday soon I'll be riding past a built development there and then suddenly Columbia's downtown skyline will appear just as I'm hitting the Blossom Street bridge. That scene will be impressive to first-time visitors.

I analyzed it again today. Depending on how many trees they have to remove to make way for the development, and depending on how high the buildings are, it's possible you'll see the Downtown Columbia skyline above the Cayce development from Knox Abbott and Alexander Road, the intersection shared by Guingnard (sp) Park and Monterrey Restaurant, since that intersection and Columbia's Main Street are both high points.

I can very easily see this being called "RiverGate @ Brickyard Terrace."

I can easily see it being another generic, poorly designed, pseudo-lux, gated community without an authentic sense of place. ;) But I hope I'm wrong! It's not a huge amount of land to work with, but I do hope they go for a town center/traditional neighborhood vibe. The Guignards, from what I've read in the paper over the last few years, seem to want to be good stewards, so I'm hoping they are working with someone on this who legitimately knows something about design and creating a community. They certainly came through when it came to planning development for their property on the Columbia side, so I'm hopeful. Would love to see them do a master plan, developing some themselves, and farming the rest out to developers that are bound to abide by the plan. That may be what they're doing, but it isn't exactly spelled out that way in the recent State piece.

Edited by emerging.me

• 1 month later...

The three-story, 39,000-square-foot Southern First Bank Midlands office will be the first part of a long-discussed retail, office, residential and hotel development planned for the nearly 17-acre parcel fronting Knox Abbott Drive and the Congaree River and owned by the Guignard family. Developers already are working at lining up tenants for other retail and commercial office space. Residential development is proposed for later. Developers did not offer a timeline or cost estimate for building out the project.

The three-story, 39,000-square-foot Southern First Bank Midlands office will be the first part of a long-discussed retail, office, residential and hotel development planned for the nearly 17-acre parcel fronting Knox Abbott Drive and the Congaree River and owned by the Guignard family. Developers already are working at lining up tenants for other retail and commercial office space. Residential development is proposed for later. Developers did not offer a timeline or cost estimate for building out the project.

Which side of Knox Abbott are we talking about? Or is it both sides? I know the Guignards own both.

Across Knox Abbott from Monterrey's, if that helps any.

BTW, it looks like they've finished street curbing and landscaping in old downtown Cayce. They even have streetlights put up on a few blocks of State Street.

I live near the street improvements in Cayce, but they are a joke, IMO. They didn't do enough: the power lines are still high on ugly poles, the street light poles are stark and flimsy, the improvements only go for one block, and most importantly, there is no new paving for the street itself! Hopefully, they are not finished and the old industrial street lights will come down at least, or maybe even a miracle will happen and the city will actually pave State Street!

I was hoping they would bury the lines, install attractive light posts, and re-pave the terrible pavement on State Street from Knox Abbott (or at least Lexington Ave.) all the way to the quarry entrance. Better yet, extend the streetscaping down Frink Street to the intersection with 12th Street, installing curb & gutter, sidewalks, street lighting, new pavement, etc. along the way. That area could use the investment, with the older buildings then getting revitalized with businesses opening in them. I would be wonderful to have that area become a small cafe/boutique/nightclub district. Think of all the potential customers within walking distance or a short drive!

I imagine they will eventually repave it, but you have to remember that the road down there gets pretty chewed up from the heavy quarry trucks accelerating up to speed. It'll start getting rough again soon after repaving.

I wouldn't count on SCE&G doling out the dollars to bry the lines either. I think they favor the dollar over aesthetics.

Is there any motin being made on tearing down Cayce school? If not, I think that housing project may be defunct....

Is there any motin being made on tearing down Cayce school? If not, I think that housing project may be defunct....

I'm not sure if it's defunct or not. I saw a classified ad in The State (I think) last week advertising new townhomes coming soon to the Avenues. Could be that one...

Edited by emerging.me

May be. I'll run by there this afternoon and see if anything is being done.

I think there were some apartments over on B and C that were being redone and sold as condos. I'm kinda hazy on that, so don't take it as gospel.

PS Is the Eclectic House still open on 378? I seemed to have missed it last time I came in on 378, but have to admit I was kinda in shock from all the stuff that had gone up between Lexington and the hospital.

Edited by Captain Worley