Winnipeg: MTS Centre

MadVlad

Hey guys, I just wanted to pose a question to you. Being from Hartford, and losing our NHL team just as Winnipeg lost theirs, I wanted to ask the question "is the MTS Centre big enough"? Holding 15,105 (is that correct?) for ice hockey just doesn't seem big enough for an NHL team. What are the opinions of the Winnipeg locals? Can it be expanded to accomidate an NHL team? Could it have been built just small enough to hinder efforts for Winnipeg to get another franchise?

I'm asking these questions because Hartford is also looking into a new arena, and the size of the arena has come up. It's been a prevailing opinion that anything under 17k would be too small to draw an NHL team into the city. That being said, we aren't in Canada and maybe the lines are drawn different just to get another team in Canada, which is fine.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm

24js1.jpg

the new arena has been a hit.. origly it was only supost to be 10k arena but are mayor at the time glen murry forced them to make it as many as the site could handle... even got rid of 1 lane of traffic... on one side of it..

the fight we had with this building was not its size.... but was the building it was replacing...

eatons_prior.jpg

but i don't think 17k would hurt you guys hopefuly its going in your downtown also

hmm

24js1.jpg

the new arena has been a hit.. origly it was only supost to be 10k arena but are mayor at the time glen murry forced them to make it as many as the site could handle... even got rid of 1 lane of traffic... on one side of it..

the fight we had with this building was not its size.... but was the building it was replacing...

eatons_prior.jpg

but i don't think 17k would hurt you guys hopefuly its going in your downtown also

Well, there is no definite plan for it... yet. But the wheels are in motion. The old Hartford Civic Center is old, the Mall that surrounds it is now a 25+ story apartment building, and the guy that owns that wants to build a new arena and buy a team for the city, and yes it would be downtown. Not bad, but all the pieces have to fall into place. I remember going to see the Jets play the Whalers every year, and I actually got to see the first ever Phoenix Coyotes game (their first game ever was on the road in Hartford). I remember people booing them and even a "Let's go Jets" chant. Do you guys feel your arena is too small though? I think that's the one drawback I've heard of any bid Winnipeg would have for a new team. I yearn for the days when the Whalers, Nords, and Jets (and North Stars) were around....

Well, there is no definite plan for it... yet. But the wheels are in motion. The old Hartford Civic Center is old, the Mall that surrounds it is now a 25+ story apartment building, and the guy that owns that wants to build a new arena and buy a team for the city, and yes it would be downtown. Not bad, but all the pieces have to fall into place. I remember going to see the Jets play the Whalers every year, and I actually got to see the first ever Phoenix Coyotes game (their first game ever was on the road in Hartford). I remember people booing them and even a "Let's go Jets" chant. Do you guys feel your arena is too small though? I think that's the one drawback I've heard of any bid Winnipeg would have for a new team. I yearn for the days when the Whalers, Nords, and Jets (and North Stars) were around....

i personaly think its not bad size always a sell out and since its opend the moose have been doing alot better

we even have biger acts coming to town since it opened. its has been a big sucess

as for the seating issue i don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

MTS Centre is beautiful, we were out there for a concert on Labour Day. A bit off topic but I have a question - why was ABSOLUTELY everything closed on Labour Day? Not Polo Park, not even Wal-Mart was open for goodness sakes... is there some kind of law on stat holidays in Manitoba or the City Of Winnipeg? It was a ghost town downtown, horrendous.

Archived