Progress on I-49 continues.

bigboyz05

Work to build a 6.9 mile stretch of I-49 continues with clearing, grubbing and dirt work between Mira, La and the Arkansas stateline. That should be completed by May and paving will begin in September 2007. Design and engineering work has begun at the interchange of where I-49 will intersect with I-220 in Shreveport. Right of way is being picked up between Mira and Shreveport. Total construction should cost $400 million dollars. A five mile section from I-30 to U.S. 71 North will begin grading and structure work in the spring. A 1.5 mile section from Loop 245 to I-30 will also begin soon and both sections will pretty much take care of the urban section of Texarkana. Read more at: http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news01.txt

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree! The faster the better. This highway will be so important to the area. Not just in providing a quicker route between Texarkana and Shreveport but in providing many jobs.

Well, the construction jobs will be temporary so I wouldn't put too stock into that. The spinoff from building the freeway, however, could result in truck stops being built in towns between Texarkana and Shreveport, ultimately resulting in quite a few permanent jobs.

I wasn't really talking about the construction jobs but the more permanent ones. Such as stores and companies. I've heard this rumor that a large truck stop will be built near the future interchange of I-30 and I-49.

Okay, I follow you now. I thought you were talking about the construction jobs! My bad... :D

Anyway, the intersection of I-30 and I-49, where is that going to be exactly?

Okay, I follow you now. I thought you were talking about the construction jobs! My bad... :D

Everyone likes to talk about how the funds aren't there for I-49 in Arkansas between Fort Smith and Texarkana, how it will take so long to build through the Ouachitas, etc.

But I know this...I've talked with truckers in Northwest Arkansas (members of my church) and in northeast Texas in the Marshall area (customers of ours) and the consensus is that this route will be used HEAVILY if they ever get it built between KC and New Orleans, and SHV to Houston.

Keep the good words coming...(btw, any further word on I-49 work between Texarkana and Ashdown, AR)?

I cant believe this project has come along so quickly. Now that Louisiana is building their portion to the state line is Arkansas going finish off the last few miles from Doddridge?

Here's what Darius said about that: "A five mile section from I-30 to U.S. 71 North will begin grading and structure work in the spring."

So I'd say yes. And I'm so glad, because I'm ready to see this road built... finally.

A few miles east of the existing Hwy 245/I-30 interchange. (I-49 will curve to the east, then curve back north to I-30)

Here's what Darius said about that: "A five mile section from I-30 to U.S. 71 North will begin grading and structure work in the spring."

So I'd say yes. And I'm so glad, because I'm ready to see this road built... finally.

Actually Brian that section you speak of is to be constructed from I-30 north to Hwy 71 going towards Ashdown. The section from Doddridge to the Arkansas/Louisiana stateline is gathering funding from what I've last read. So work on that section shouldn't be too far off.

Everyone likes to talk about how the funds aren't there for I-49 in Arkansas between Fort Smith and Texarkana, how it will take so long to build through the Ouachitas, etc.

But I know this...I've talked with truckers in Northwest Arkansas (members of my church) and in northeast Texas in the Marshall area (customers of ours) and the consensus is that this route will be used HEAVILY if they ever get it built between KC and New Orleans, and SHV to Houston.

Keep the good words coming...(btw, any further word on I-49 work between Texarkana and Ashdown, AR)?

The section going north from Loop 245 over I-30 and up to Hwy71 North is part of the section going towards Ashdown.

The section going north from Loop 245 over I-30 and up to Hwy71 North is part of the section going towards Ashdown.

Hey Darius, thanks alot for all of the updates! Now, the stretch of I-49 between Texarkana and Ashdown is very interesting to me, so I want to make sure I have my facts right. The future I-49 north of Texarkana will follow the current path of HW 71 past I-30, and up towards Ogden and Ashdown? And if that's the case, what is the current status of this section?

Hey NCB! How are you? Anyway, I-49 will branch off from 245 a little past the Arkansas Boulevard exit and go east around the Four States Fairgrounds and turn north crossing over near where Sugarhill Rd. crosses over I-30. From there it will turn northwest and intersect with Hwy 71 North. That section should begin work in spring 2007.

• 3 weeks later...
As an alternative, you can take Hwy. 59 from Texarkana, through Atlanta, and eventually you link up to La. Hwy. 1 which is a much nicer road and goes through bigger towns... so you actually see some life along part of the trip. This eventually comes out in north Shreveport and meets Hwy 71 at the fork. It take sprobably 20 minutes longer on a bad day, but it's SO much easier to drive. The only part of it I hate is the stretch through Atlanta where there are always deer along the sides of the road.

:lol: Did you drive it at rush hour? North Market (Hwy 1) in north Shreveport is always like that at rush hour, but even if you'd taken Hwy 71 you'd have run into the same thing. The rush hour traffic on North Market is something I HATED when I was living in Texarkana and commuting to Shreveport every day. The rest of the day, though, it's fine. Just avoid it between 7:00 and 8:00 am and between 5:00 and 7:00 pm.

Yeah it was around 8 when I got there. The traffic was backed up a good ways. Youree seems to be jammed at certain times as well. Bossier's traffic is ridiculous! I was on Airline I think and the damn line didn't seem to move even with the gren lights. I swear I sat through a couple of lights before I even moved, lol!

Archived