Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

I may have just missed it, but the Columbia Business Report article on Tin Lizzy's Cantina and City Bar & Fondue included a rendering of the renovations to the new West End Alley. While I don't love the parking lot right on Gervais, this definitely makes it feel more connected.

1437062485-700-gervais.jpg

Yes, surface parking saps the energy out of a downtown, but this will probably be an improvement over the way it is now. 

I don't want to see it fail, but I am still not thrilled about Twin Peaks. I wish that location could have been a high end steak house. I'm a little disappointed it opened in the Vista, and hope there won't be any other businesses with faux antelopes, or whatever, greeting visitors to the nicest entertainment district in our city. 

I may have just missed it, but the Columbia Business Report article on Tin Lizzy's Cantina and City Bar & Fondue included a rendering of the renovations to the new West End Alley. While I don't love the parking lot right on Gervais, this definitely makes it feel more connected.

1437062485-700-gervais.jpg

Yes, surface parking saps the energy out of a downtown, but this will probably be an improvement over the way it is now. 

I don't want to see it fail, but I am still not thrilled about Twin Peaks. I wish that location could have been a high end steak house. I'm a little disappointed it opened in the Vista, and hope there won't be any other businesses with faux antelopes, or whatever, greeting visitors to the nicest entertainment district in our city. 

I don't understand why everyone hates twin peaks so much?

Twin Peaks is a lot like Hooters, so it doesn't have great food and is generally geared towards a specific crowd of sports bar patrons. While I personally enjoy that kind of thing occasionally, the Vista seems to have a lot of sports bars (regardless of type). Also, I was in Columbia last week, and my friend (who had never been there) commented on how many chains are on Gervais St. I know that there are lots of local places in the Vista, but they aren't as obvious while driving through.

Twin Peaks is a lot like Hooters, so it doesn't have great food and is generally geared towards a specific crowd of sports bar patrons. While I personally enjoy that kind of thing occasionally, the Vista seems to have a lot of sports bars (regardless of type). Also, I was in Columbia last week, and my friend (who had never been there) commented on how many chains are on Gervais St. I know that there are lots of local places in the Vista, but they aren't as obvious while driving through.

It's true. Chains are taking over because start ups can't afford the rent anymore. It has become too popular for its own good.

A Virginia-based development firm is giving the historic Columbia fire station in the Vista a face-lift and bringing restaurants, shops and office space to the downtown business district. Construction already has started on the structure that originally was built in 1949...

The 35,000-square-foot building will be refurbished and leased out for retail, restaurant and office space. Guion said renovations will maintain the historic integrity of the building and could include photo prints of the station in its heyday.

The second floor roof could be removed to create an outdoor patio, according to Guion. The garage behind the building will be salvaged, and the tall tower will be saved and reused in the design.

http://coladaily.com/2015/07/18/developer-to-refurbish-columbia-historic-fire-station-in-the-vista/

columbiahistoricfirestation.jpg

• Like 2

A Virginia-based development firm is giving the historic Columbia fire station in the Vista a face-lift and bringing restaurants, shops and office space to the downtown business district. Construction already has started on the structure that originally was built in 1949...

The 35,000-square-foot building will be refurbished and leased out for retail, restaurant and office space. Guion said renovations will maintain the historic integrity of the building and could include photo prints of the station in its heyday.

The second floor roof could be removed to create an outdoor patio, according to Guion. The garage behind the building will be salvaged, and the tall tower will be saved and reused in the design.

http://coladaily.com/2015/07/18/developer-to-refurbish-columbia-historic-fire-station-in-the-vista/

columbiahistoricfirestation.jpg

Thats beautiful. this should add even more density to the vista

There is a report today, that a new landowner in the Vista is seeking rezoning to allow for apartments and mixed use at Lady and Park. That is a great parcel, and would be close to the new Aloft, and all the other great stuff popping in the Vista. I feel sure he will get his wish, as right now, it is only surface parking.

Has anyone heard anything more about this?  

Aloft or the Possible High Rise?

No, it's not the Aloft, but is very close to it. There has never been any formal announcement about what would be built there, that I remember, but they want to do residential. There is so much happening these days, it's hard to keep up!

No, it's not the Aloft, but is very close to it. There has never been any formal announcement about what would be built there, that I remember, but they want to do residential. There is so much happening these days, it's hard to keep up!

well i remember the city is trying to change the zone for that plot of land so the developer can build high as he wants. its supposed to be residential non student housing. thats all I know

• Like 1

Here's to hoping our Convention Center has plans to expand. I think Cola could really be a convention destination with a larger facility. I know, however, a certain architect and engineering firm we won't be contracting with again any time soon, though.

• Like 2

Don't know. The convention center area will be even nicer once Foundation Square is completed. I can imagine convention goers, as well as students, congregating there under a leafy canopy, and enjoying something to eat and drink. You can walk there from the convention center in less than two minutes, or go the opposite direction and enjoy a multitude of other dining and drinking options. 

Now that I think about it, there's nothing to eat near Foundation Square other than the Moore School restaurant and the new food court/restaurant in 650 Lincoln. I wonder if the city would allow a food truck or two to operate there? Technically the city owns the parking lots between CLA and the Greek Village, though USC leases them. There seems to be a market for food trucks in Columbia, even if it has to be off of USC's campus so as not to compete with their dining.

Now that I think about it, there's nothing to eat near Foundation Square other than the Moore School restaurant and the new food court/restaurant in 650 Lincoln. I wonder if the city would allow a food truck or two to operate there? Technically the city owns the parking lots between CLA and the Greek Village, though USC leases them. There seems to be a market for food trucks in Columbia, even if it has to be off of USC's campus so as not to compete with their dining.

I think it would be a great place for a few food trucks. The renderings of the square, and articles I've read, usually make it out to be almost a park, with the possibility of al fresco dining. I believe those lots will eventually disappear, though, as I believe plans call for more student housing-I just don't know the time frame.

Edited by victory

I think it would be a great place for a few food trucks. The renderings of the square, and articles I've read, usually make it out to be almost a park, with the possibility of al fresco dining. I believe those lots will eventually disappear, though, as I believe plans call for more student housing-I just don't know the time frame.

I wonder where the balance of student housing and Regular housing will come into play soon? I think Green Street should be a good mix of both. especially when it comes to getting riverfront property. I wonder how much of that land  of the Innovista Project is supposed to be Student housing in the first place?

also another question. Anyone know why that 29 Story Student Apartment plan died? I really think that Tower would still look good in that area like right across the street from the Arena. but designed different to comply with the Innovista design zoning. From my knowledge of the zoning of Innovista. buildings lining Greene St facing towards Greene street are supposed to be taller but i dont know by how much. I know closer to the riverfront I seen zoning calling for 10+ floor buildings I was wondering if that same zone applies for the front facing buildings of greene st

Honestly I don't think that was a serious proposal. I vaguely remember the developers asking for potentially millions in public infrastructure, not to mention the size of building would also be completely out of character for the district. Since USC owns or controls all of that land, there's no way they would allow something of that size to dwarf their own buildings. Just think about how they reacted to a 15 story building potentially casting a shadow on the Horseshoe in the dead of winter.

I don't know if this development technically falls within the accepted parameters of the Vista, but SCANA is mulling the sale of its former bus site property on Huger. Look for a "big box" retailer which can serve the needs of downtown residents, AND if it is special enough might draw customers from Irmo, Chapin and other places just up I-26. The options range from..well, anything which might constitute a "big box" retailer from Wal Mart (God, PLEASE NO) to IKEA (ain't gonna happen), and everything in between.  

^Here's the link to that story from The State: http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article30008226.html

I was actually hoping that that lot would be combined with the Kline site for a larger project. But either way, I hope they are connected in some way. A big box wouldn't be my first choice, but depending on what it is and how it's designed, it may not be so bad.

^Here's the link to that story from The State: http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article30008226.html

I was actually hoping that that lot would be combined with the Kline site for a larger project. But either way, I hope they are connected in some way. A big box wouldn't be my first choice, but depending on what it is and how it's designed, it may not be so bad.

Good point. If combined, I could see several national retailers being attracted to this site. Frankly I think apartments should be a minor component of a site this ideal. It really should have a strong retail component, and multiple other uses (office, residential, restaurant).  Look at all the positives:

Great frontage on THREE major thoroughfares

Literally across the street from Publix

Literally next door to tourist magnets like the State Museum, Children's Museum, the Riverfront 

Very close to the Convention Center/Arena and all the hotels thereof

Pretty short distance to the USC Baseball field  

Essentially just as close to the USC campus as Columbia Common.    

My first thought when I read this was actually that Bright-Meyers shifted their focus from Capital City Stadium to the Vista. I really hope it's not Walmart, but even Walmart is now adapting their stores to urban environments. There would be an uproar if the developer tried to build a traditional suburban box store with a massive parking lot fronting the building. I wouldn't mind something in the character of a Sandhills, albeit denser, as long as the big box was paired with other shops and restaurants. There's an opportunity to connect with Kline and continue the look and feel of the development down Huger. Chain stores could potentially draw from smaller, local boutiques, but overall the Vista would become more of a hub.

I think a Costco or a Walmart Market would be nice in that spot. or a Multi big name stores there. like (Sorry if i keep bringing this up)  Metropolitan.

Imagine Best buy, Target,  as  major store clustered together. with a few restaurants other smaller store *cough cough* Gamestop plz and a Garage for parking be built above the stores. to avoid the whole massive parking crater that would possibly be created if a big name store arrives at this location.

Also I hope its announced soon and is built along side the Kline City Center development so we can have grand openings of major development in that location all together.

ps. can anyone else see Huger St being redeveloped soon. like a whole project to streetscape Huger into something like Assembly st