Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Target is more interested in urban stores than Walmart. larger cities have a concept called 'City Target." If the parking is structured and the urban design is good (ie: it has other retail/restaurant opportunities and fronts the street) then I think a 'big box' store can do well in an urban center. The biggest challenge I see with the Kline site or anything in that area is that the pedestrian environment sucks and there isn't much density at this point, so any big box store will be a drive-first destination. Improving walkability in the area means adding residential and making wider sidewalks with interesting things along the way. So, if this proposal can help that concept happen then I'm all for it.

Target is more interested in urban stores than Walmart. larger cities have a concept called 'City Target." If the parking is structured and the urban design is good (ie: it has other retail/restaurant opportunities and fronts the street) then I think a 'big box' store can do well in an urban center. The biggest challenge I see with the Kline site or anything in that area is that the pedestrian environment sucks and there isn't much density at this point, so any big box store will be a drive-first destination. Improving walkability in the area means adding residential and making wider sidewalks with interesting things along the way. So, if this proposal can help that concept happen then I'm all for it.

Totally agree with you. DC has a complex in Columbia Heights (slightly transitional, but popular neighborhood) called DC USA that has a Target, a Best Buy, a Bed Bath & Beyond, and a Modell's (sports paraphernalia). It doesn't have the best street presence, but packs a lot of retail into one space. The challenge with this lot is that it's very large, relatively inexpensive, and not in a dense area. Let's hope that the developer tries to take advantage of the momentum by trying to fit a lot of stores into one compact, interconnected complex. There is a great opportunity for a residential connection on the back side of Publix and of course the buildings across and diagonally across the Gervais/Huger intersection will feed demand.

Totally agree with you. DC has a complex in Columbia Heights (slightly transitional, but popular neighborhood) called DC USA that has a Target, a Best Buy, a Bed Bath & Beyond, and a Modell's (sports paraphernalia). It doesn't have the best street presence, but packs a lot of retail into one space. The challenge with this lot is that it's very large, relatively inexpensive, and not in a dense area. Let's hope that the developer tries to take advantage of the momentum by trying to fit a lot of stores into one compact, interconnected complex. There is a great opportunity for a residential connection on the back side of Publix and of course the buildings across and diagonally across the Gervais/Huger intersection will feed demand.

I've been there a few times and aesthetically, it kinda sucks although the design is pedestrian-oriented, as you mentioned. I'd expect some concessions for cars in this location along Huger but I still hope it will be designed with a more pedestrian-oriented future for that area in a mind.

Edited by krazeeboi

Plans for a previously announced private student apartment project at Assembly and Pendleton streets, a block from the South Carolina State House, call for the building to be slashed in height.

The building is one of two student apartment complexes planned near the State House. The other is caught in a controversy about its height.

After last year proposing a 14-story, 848-bed private student dormitory tower at Assembly and Pendleton streets, Manhattan-based developer Park7 Group has returned to the city with a revised site plan. The new plan features nearly 20 percent fewer beds and would be less than half the originally planned height

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article31054317.html

well this is dissapointing . I was really hoping that lot would get a high rise there but i guess since USC is b****ing about the proposed 15 story tower I guess they want to complain about something else

It still looks good not as tall but the 6 story design looks amazing still non the less.

1015%20assembly%20apt

1015%20assembly%20apt2

• Like 1

It would have been nice to see a hotel at Assembly and Pendleton to help serve an expanded convention center in the future, but at least another vacant lot is gone. Maybe by the time the convention center does become expanded, the state DOT might be open to moving somewhere else and a Westin or something can go up at that location.

• Like 1

It would have been nice to see a hotel at Assembly and Pendleton to help serve an expanded convention center in the future, but at least another vacant lot is gone. Maybe by the time the convention center does become expanded, the state DOT might be open to moving somewhere else and a Westin or something can go up at that location.

Aw man that would be nice.  a westin hotel her in columbia and I know that spot they might want to build it big especially if columbia is very popular by then and a lot of events already come to the city that fill hotels and such. I can see a beautiful 20 Story Westin Hotel being built where the DOT Building is at. but for now i dont see it happening yet.

Plans for a previously announced private student apartment project at Assembly and Pendleton streets, a block from the South Carolina State House, call for the building to be slashed in height.

The building is one of two student apartment complexes planned near the State House. The other is caught in a controversy about its height.

After last year proposing a 14-story, 848-bed private student dormitory tower at Assembly and Pendleton streets, Manhattan-based developer Park7 Group has returned to the city with a revised site plan. The new plan features nearly 20 percent fewer beds and would be less than half the originally planned height

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article31054317.html

well this is dissapointing . I was really hoping that lot would get a high rise there but i guess since USC is b****ing about the proposed 15 story tower I guess they want to complain about something else

It still looks good not as tall but the 6 story design looks amazing still non the less.

1015%20assembly%20apt

1015%20assembly%20apt2

I really liked the original design, but this fits the immediate area much better. USC set the tone for lower rise buildings along this stretch of Assembly with the music school, Koger, the Moore School, and the Coliseum. Now that this building is six stories, I have a feeling EdR will need to do the same. I wonder if they can purchase one of the other lots on the block- maybe the SC Beer Wholesalers Assn. between Sandy's and the gas station? If not, they might be able to work out a deal with SCANA for the surface lot across college. It would add to construction cost, but they could move parking to that side (it's already somewhat subterranean) and add more apartments above them with a connecting 2nd/3rd floor skybridge. I doubt the economics would still work, but it's an idea at any rate.

• 1 month later...

Was sitting at the stoplight at the intersection of Gervais and Gadsden, and noticed the good work being done across the street. Tin Lizzy's and City Bar should be opening soon, and I hope they continue to brick in the entirety of the building's facade. It already seems less Myrtle Beach looking, so it's a big improvement in my view. 

Edited by victory

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Empire Supper Club looks awesome. Such an interesting concept, especially now that the Vista is starting to diversify.

I was invited in to the empire supper club on its opening night.  It was unique for Columbia and I do think that it will do well as more people learn about it.  Employees/owners were very professional and friendly.  

I was invited in to the empire supper club on its opening night.  It was unique for Columbia and I do think that it will do well as more people learn about it.  Employees/owners were very professional and friendly.  

What is the concept exactly? 1920's flappers, and guys smoking cigars, while sipping on brandy? I like y'alls enthusiasm, and am interested to learn more about it.

What is the concept exactly? 1920's flappers, and guys smoking cigars, while sipping on brandy? I like y'alls enthusiasm, and am interested to learn more about it.

The concept is 1920's Gatsby/Roaring 20s.  The waitresses were dressed as flappers and servers dressed in 1920s Gatsby style as well.  They intend to have swing dancing and live swing music.  They also request that you show up in at least business casual attire.  It seems like a great idea I just hope it will last.  I suggested swing dance lessons on weeknights as I'm not sure I know anyone who knows how to swing dance and I certainly do not my self. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried Newk's or Tin Lizzy's yet? I'm excited about the brew pub opening behind Newk's.

I have been to the Tin Lizzy's in Bulkhead, but have not been to the new location.  I don't expect to be disappointed.  It was great when in ATL.  Also, there was an article in ColaDaily about the Brew Pub.  

Something New is Brewing in The Vista

• Like 1

I have been to the Tin Lizzy's in Bulkhead, but have not been to the new location.  I don't expect to be disappointed.  It was great when in ATL.  Also, there was an article in ColaDaily about the Brew Pub.  

Something New is Brewing in The Vista

I'm excited about the brewpub, as it will be very close to work. However, I am ecstatic about the Hunter Gatherer, full fledged brewery, and tasting room, at the renovated hangar at Owens Field!! This will become a craft beer tourist attraction. It will be so awesome, on a pretty day, to sit on its observation deck to watch the planes take off and land.   

Edited by victory

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Bull Street Commons or the Vista, but opted for the latter given the location. The Columbia Fireflies have opened a team store in anticipation of the upcoming season. They will only maintain it until March, at which point it will move to the baseball stadium. Still cool though.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56350-columbia-fireflies-unveil-team-store-in-the-vista?rss=0

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

A craft brewery that is new to the market is going into the DuPre building at 807 Gervais. They expect it to open in May 2016.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56537-craft-beer-franchise-coming-to-vista-next-spring

I saw that. Sounds like a great development. It will be just a block or so from the Twisted Spur (I believe that's the name). Craft beer is really settling in for the long haul, and I love it!

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot to include this yesterday: the exterior renovations for the old fire station across from Monterrey's and Tin Roof were approved. The parking lot between Tin Roof and the Hilton, coupled with the fire station as it is right now, make the whole street feel dead. Bringing a restaurant on line would liven the whole area and better connect the Convention Center, Alumni Association, and Hilton to the State House.

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article54761960.html

• Like 1