River Place Condominiums

richyb83

Bernhard, Trahan plan mixed-use development for RiverPlace site

A lot of people have been wondering what Jim Bernhard is going to do now that The Shaw Group has been acquired by CB&I. Land development, perhaps? Late Monday, in a move that has taken many by surprise, Bernhard paid $3.3 million for the downtown riverfront property that Richard Preis has been trying for some nine years to turn into a residential development called RiverPlace. The catalyst for the transaction was architect Trey Trahan, who already owned an 18,500-square-foot tract adjacent to the RiverPlace property. Trahan says he long had his eye on Preis' parcel and had conceptualized a 22-story condominium project for the site. In early December, he pitched Bernhard on the idea of partnering with him to acquire Preis' tract and begin working toward doing a much larger, mixed-use development. "We hope it will include condos, offices and retail," says Trahan, adding that there is no time frame for the development at this point. "Jim really wants to make a significant contribution to downtown, so as an architect that is exciting to me." As to what Bernhard's interest might be in developing downtown and whether he might start a new company that would be located downtown, Trahan declined to comment. Bernhard could not be reached for comment. —Stephanie Riegel Read the full story here.

Businessreport.com

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*Had to get this on Top of New Page :thumbsup:

Why so tall?? Man, that sounds like our city council here. A few years ago, the developers of the Island Park neighborhood in south Shreveport originally wanted to build a multi-story condo development, and the city council couldn't wrap their feeble little minds around it. Really?? Those are the people we elected to run our city??

LOL Brian! I hear you! At least SBC riverfront is lined up with some nice high-rise towers! BR had never heard of the term "vertical neighborhood"......at least some of those goofy councilman are now gone!

Still thinking this will be a "Condotel".....Shaw may make their presence felt downtown afterall...if not with a Office HQ's...then this...maybe Bernhard can get the ball rolling despite the volatile global economy??  Rumor had it.. Skip Bertman & Shaquille O'Neal would be interested in some of the upper floors....

Here was the latest rendering again...accidentally deleted above bec of silly Imageshack..this shows 30-floors...if it's now 22 that's cool too!

preishotel071108.jpg

Sometimes forget Trahan owns the small edge of the block(1/5th?)...now if we could hear any news at the next block to the North/old Advocate property??

*Sorry the rendering(Post#348) for the Orlando Skyhouse apts is listed forbidden...i'll try to retrieve it...

Here is pic from Post#341 (accidentally forbidden 403)...3rd/Tallest Proposal at 36-stories...the 4th/most recent proposal sure is sleek

riverplace1.jpg

• 6 months later...

I guess this won't be a reality. I wonder what is taking so long with the development of a "true vertical neighborhood" I'm sorry but the 11 story residental IBM tower is just not appealing to me.

I understand and share your enthusiasm for "bigger and better", but IBM is worth being pleased with.

I'd rather see the redevelopment of some of the empty space downtown into lofts and residential units before a new tower saturates the market. There is a very good chance the next larger building downtown (after IBM) by a private developer will be a hotel. Hopefully it will be eye catching and tall.

• 1 month later...

We really need something to compliment the IBM development.  I think it's too wide.  The renderings don't impress me either.  I'm pleased with the jobs that will be brought downtown.  I just think the IBM project could have been the project to define the Baton Rouge skyline.

We really need something to compliment the IBM development.  I think it's too wide.  The renderings don't impress me either.  I'm pleased with the jobs that will be brought downtown.  I just think the IBM project could have been the project to define the Baton Rouge skyline.

Maybe one day..........when somebody wakes up! :yawn:

Patience. In fill developments should come before a vertical single entrance subdivision.  I want demand to be at its absolute highest when someone develops the remaining vacant properties on Lafayette street.

Something awesome will go there. I think Bernhard owns that block now. I'm sure he'll announce something cool there.  I think it will be a mixed use building with hotel, office, retail, and residential uses....possibly more than one building.

• 5 months later...

Maybe Bernhard will build this: 345px-Trump_Tower_New_Orleans.jpg

If only, thanks Dan for these beautiful renders:

riverplace7ap8.png

untitled4555555555ec1.png

@dan326 could you do an updated sketch up with IBM, the third River Place design, NOLA Trump tower, the original Alive design, the Water Campus, River Center plan with the hotels, and various unbuilt BR buildings, Images below: 

River Center Hotel Expansion

133811.jpg

Trump Tower:

345px-Trump_Tower_New_Orleans.jpg

River Place Condominiums:

riverplace1qw1.jpg

Fidelity Bank Tower (North 4th Street) 

25-FidelityBankTower-COLOR_t600.jpg

Riverside Towers: (Where the chase towers are now)

25-RiversideTowers-COLOR_t600.jpg

ALIVE:

aliveleadartncap1.jpg

It would be so cool if you could, just to see what might have been/could be.

Yes indeed Timelordnerd! Just think if all of those high-rise towers had been built.... The BR skyline would have been on another level! Not the

malnutritioned  skyline it has been accused of!  Dan did nice work on those renderings :thumbsup:

I still have most of those pics saved from when this was posted a few years back here on UP....on what could have been! A striking landmark/signature tower would be nice! The iconic design of Alive along the riverfront would be icing on the cake!

Those Riverside Towers would have actually been built in the old Centroplex parking lot(now expanded River Center); where Government Street curves into River Road.

The 400ft'/30-story Fidelity Bank Tower in the 80's(current parking garage on Third St w/ YMCA) would have been 90 feet taller than One American Place; Just one block west

While the 3rd proposal of 36-stories may have been too much to ask of River Place(though I would have loved it!)...the original 23-story proposal "One River Place" would still seem doable.....

us9x.jpg

This was the most recent proposal at 30 stories

k68v.jpg

• 9 months later...

Continued this from the IBM Block thread where link was posted...Bumped the River Place condo tower thread from Page 3 for Mr. Bernham....this at one time was BR's most popular forum

Could not locate the pic that showed the cool street scape for River Place along Lafayette Street; it would have looked really nice next to the IBM Block...many of the past images are showing a small black box with lil' X on it...and their website seem to be down

Post #356 shows the Tallest proposal(36 floors) before they changed it to 30....the orginal was 23-floors; then changed to two towers 27 & 17...then to the 36 back down to 30ish....when all is said and done I would hope it's at least tall as the original proposal.

Hopefully things still happen...in early 13' the property sold for 3.3$ million...if Austin can pull off 7,8 or 10 high-rise condo's ...one would think BR could build at least one!

Continued this from the IBM Block thread where link was posted...Bumped the River Place condo tower thread from Page 3 for Mr. Bernham....this at one time was BR's most popular forum

Could not locate the pic that showed the cool street scape for River Place along Lafayette Street; it would have looked really nice next to the IBM Block...many of the past images are showing a small black box with lil' X on it...and their website seem to be down

Post #356 shows the Tallest proposal(36 floors) before they changed it to 30....the orginal was 23-floors; then changed to two towers 27 & 17...then to the 36 back down to 30ish....when all is said and done I would hope it's at least tall as the original proposal.

Hopefully things still happen...in early 13' the property sold for 3.3$ million...if Austin can pull off 7,8 or 10 high-rise condo's ...one would think BR could build at least one!

I thought this was where IBM is, but it was on the block next to IBM?

Someone made the comment a while back that those riverfront blocks should remain for shorter towers like IBM. It preserves the view of the river for the other buildings.

True, that would look nice and I think smaller towers or buildings along waterfronts look nice, the competition should be in the back. 

I agree, I think a skyline that slopes up and away from the river would look good, with the taller buildings set farther back. When you look at a picture of a great skyline, your tallest buildings are in the middle. All you can see is their "crown."

Does BR have enough blocks downtown in the back to have this though? It seems like all of the blocks with potential are home to a church or government building. Maybe make the government buildings towers and encourage the Church's to move?

Archived