River Place Condominiums

richyb83

Might you be talking about a couple of blocks away from RiverPlace where the crane is at?? That's going to be a new parking garage bordering North Street, Lafayette Street, and River Road. Parking has been a big complaint in the past; they continue to improve that :thumbsup:

Good to see you back Trel-Ellis :good:

The three blocks along the riverfront (RiverPlace, old Advocate site, new parking garage) will soon be undergoing a major transformation. Nothing much there now, but it's about to happen.

I need to the a "before & after"..of course that may take a few years.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if it's signifigant or not, probably not but they moved a large stack of lumber on the site of Riverplace condos last week. Maybe for forms, maybe for another construction site? Probably not for Riverplace. I'll feel better when they actually start to work on this place.

It may be. A few months back I heard that June was RiverPlace grundbreaking month, but I havent heard of it breaking ground. :dontknow: Do they shape out the foot prints on skyscrapers with wood though? Maybe Richy might know something?

I surely hope this thing goes up and soon.

All of the remarkable new changes, renovations, and projects in Downtown BR are exciting,

But when river place goes up, that changes EVERYTHING!

It will be the most noticeable difference. I surely surely hope it breaks ground, before summers end!!!

I saw that lumber stacked there myself the other day, there's no telling what that's for?? But something brewing...it's only a matter of time. RiverPlace WILL happen no later than Labor Day, probably before that :thumbsup: I should have asked the lady at the hospitality center on Third Street when I had the chance. I only asked her would it be 30-stories? she said "yes".

Nearby(a block away) they are working and gutting the historical Kress/Levy & Welch building on Third at Main.

It's good to see the next wave of development downtown, other southern cities will begin to take notice, especially when RiverPlace rises into the sky! :shades: Other nice developments should follow on it's footsteps.

A good example was when the Shaw Center for the Arts opened; that spurred the renovation to the Capitol House; it became more $ feasible; then the restuarants and other projects followed.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to break it to you guys, but someone told me that the site where Riverplace is supposed to go is being used as a lay down yard for the Crest building renovation for the next year. That might explain the light duty lumber and crane being stored there.

Used for a lay down yard for the Crest renovation next year? Does this mean that once again Riverplace will not start construction this year? Which wouldn't surprise me one bit. Ya know had I been one of those people that already bought in there I would have pulled my investment out. It is taking entirely too long for this to get off the ground.

Used for a lay down yard for the Crest renovation next year? Does this mean that once again Riverplace will not start construction this year? Which wouldn't surprise me one bit. Ya know had I been one of those people that already bought in there I would have pulled my investment out. It is taking entirely too long for this to get off the ground.

It's just what I heard from a friend of mine that works at a commercial construction company in BR. He could be wrong.

I just wouldn't hold my breath.

If this is true, you might as well stick a fork in this project.

That is really sad. With all the construction going on in cities all over and Baton Rouge only has this one little high rise project on the board. Now it can't even support that. How pathetic! Now I know there are a few others around the downtown area, but just this one signature project. The others are really small potatoes and will have nominal if any impact on the skyline, in my opinion. Just compare what's going on in Orlando for instance to BR. Even with the real estate slowdown, we've got at least 5 or 6 highrises about to begin, well under way or just finishing.

:stop: I'm not sticking a fork in this project; until it becomes official. Last time I checked the Third Street RiverPlace hospitality center is still open, running alive and well. :thumbsup: I had heard that at least 60% of the units had been pre-sold. I do realize patience is running thin; I have anticipated this "landmark" development as much as anybody. Don't yall give up just yet....

I'll get to the bottom of this sometime next week.

:stop: I'm not sticking a fork in this project; until it becomes official. Last time I checked the Third Street RiverPlace hospitality center is still open, running alive and well. :thumbsup: I had heard that at least 60% of the units had been pre-sold. I do realize patience is running thin; I have anticipated this "landmark" development as much as anybody. Don't yall give up just yet....

I'll get to the bottom of this sometime next week.

I like your enthusiasm. I'm not giving up either. I look forward to hearing what you find out next week.

I'm as dissapointed as anyone that this project hasn't started yet but Richard Preis is a stand up professional developer and I believe that if the project was dead, it wouldn't do any good for him to keep acting like it's alive. He would be better off either developing something else on the site or selling it for someone else to develop. He got Howell Place going when everyone said it was a bad location and no one could do what he said he was going to do.

Baton Rouge, like Rome won't be built in a day but we've come a long way in the last few years and it's good to step back once in a while and realize how far we have come as a city. There will be setbacks along the way, two steps forward , one step back but we're on the right track imo.

You're right Drew. I think we've had so many successes that we forget how to deal with the set backs.

Well here's something that might lighten/dappen spirits.I cut out a few floors to see what it would look like, it's alright I guess, definetly better than One American and Chase. :D

41hw6.jpg

I like your enthusiasm too drew :thumbsup: That's a great way to look at it "two steps forward, one step back". Nearly every city's downtown revitalization efforts have setbacks at one time or another. Like you said... downtown BR is headed in the right direction!

:shades: Thanks Dan for posting the height chart for BR's "Future 2nd Tallest"; that put's in perspective! It's going to transform the riverfront area, I'm not giving up yet. The penthouse is going to look smooth too!

Don't forget to include II City Plaza's spire(40ft'??), since it's acceptable to include that into the height too, like everybody else does :lol:

___BR's Tallest____

State Capitol - 450'ft

*RiverPlace - 385'ft ???

One American Place- 310'ft

Chase Tower- 277'ft

Riverside North(other Chase Tower)- 229'ft.

Marriot - 224'ft

* II City Plaza - 200'ft?? (including spire)

For curiousity sake...the heights for??? Galvez Bldg; LaSalle Bldg; *New Courthouse; Governmental Bldg; Republic Tower(Dean Tower); Woodale office bldg; Shaw Plaza; Jacobs Plaza

Over 150'ft; but not 200'ft

If reiverplace does not go up, I will be very disappointed. Downtown needs a highrise.

High rises are not extinct. they are still popping up all over the south. If Baton Rouge really had some motion behind us, we'd have a new high rise too. Thats why riverplace is so important. Tall still makes a statement. i think if riverplace went up, it would have encouraged other projects like it to actually get off of the drawing board and onto the hard hat

Well I for one have not given up on our downtown. We ARE moving in the right direction and I have to disagree with you, Louisiana Thunder. Other cities our size do have a viable downtown. Our city officials have visited them and looked at what they have done to revitalize their downtowns. Shreveport for instance is alot smaller than BR and they have more of a skyline than what we have. Chatanooga, TN and Louisville, KY are both cities our size and they both have viable downtowns that draw crowds of locals and tourist alike. Yes we may be slow in alot of our ways, but we ARE growing and to agree with what someone said in a reply, "Rome was not built in a day and neither will BR". We have made tremendous progress in the 3yrs I have lived here and I am excited and looking forward to my future years here in the Capital City. If I am going to be completely honest I actually love the fact of living in a city where I have the opportunity to watch it grow instead of living in an already made city.

I don't like the Rome wasn't built in a day idea, we are not talking about Italy, or some other world class places, we are speaking of home. I feel things are out of order and to get some major progress, we have to think outside it all, ideas from W. Palm Beach, Austin, and Memphis cannot apply here. Baton Rouge is way to unique to carbon copy things spotted elsewhere.

But its all good......

^

^

^

^ Come on Louisiana Thunder, that's not the spirit of an UrbanPlaneteer. :)

Actually I do like the Rome idea. Rome wasn't always a world class city. :thumbup: But I understandwhat you meen. You're right we can't just copy something from somwhere else we have to invent things ourselves.

When our city officials visited those cities they weren't going there to carbon copy what they did. They went there to see what they did to "re"vitalize their downtowns, to get ideas of what kind of things worked. It was simply a fact finding mission, nothing more. If we are revitalize our own downtown we need to look at other cities our size and see what can work and make our own ideas. What really gets me and I see this alot is people like Louisiana Thunder who would rather be negative about what is trying to be done with downtown instead of looking at the positives of what has already been accomplished. If BR is going to amount to anything each and every one of us need to be a part of the solution and NOT a part of the problem.

When our city officials visited those cities they weren't going there to carbon copy what they did. They went there to see what they did to "re"vitalize their downtowns, to get ideas of what kind of things worked. It was simply a fact finding mission, nothing more. If we are revitalize our own downtown we need to look at other cities our size and see what can work and make our own ideas. What really gets me and I see this alot is people like Louisiana Thunder who would rather be negative about what is trying to be done with downtown instead of looking at the positives of what has already been accomplished. If BR is going to amount to anything each and every one of us need to be a part of the solution and NOT a part of the problem.

Talk negative, I'm being realistic about high rise luxury living downtown. The developers should take a look at basic housing with parking garages, offices, and retail. Mixed use, but in the meantime, doing up downtown will take some time.

There are more non-luxury options in and around downtown...Riverview, River Palms, Inn on the Lake, as well as the future Brownstones on Laurel, the Kress, Levy & Welch bldg; some around Third Street and Shaw Center. And a few down south in BeauregardTown. Hopefully more on the way too:thumbsup:

I like your mixed-use ideas LT! They need to get on that.

The higher in the sky- the higher the $price. Anytime something starts going over 10-stories youstart to pay for the view.

Hey LT...did you draw/place those incredible buildings all over Seattle in Sim City IV ?? Dude, those are awesome!!! :shades:

Archived