Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

Did you mean to say East Blvd, Park Rd, NC stores? or did you mean East Blvd, Park Rd, and SC stores?

sorry, I was being lazy, I meant to say Park Rd shopping center store.

I doubt South Blvd. is HT's clientel anymore. At one time it was, but once you drive south of East Blvd. on South Blvd. there are no potential customers that HT wants, especially near the mall area or anything of that sort.

Thus the source of my question. I am curious if HT thinks the demographics of the scalybark area are going to change.

Remember that HT used to have a store where the Home Economist is today (I think it was their 2nd oldest store), but the demos of South are ever changing so you never know.

Also, is there room (or plans) for the HT @ Park Road to expand like the one in Cotswold did?

Anything could happen with Park Road. At one time Park Road shopping center had an A & P, Montogomery Ward, J.C. Penney, and a lot of old time stores if I am not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if Harris Teeter expanded this location eventually but the problem is that the USPS has a post office almost right next to the HT. I do not know if they would be willing to movesince that USPS location is very busy. Also, that parking lot at Park Road is set up like Cotswold with those sideways parking spaces that don't save much room for anything else.

Anything could happen with Park Road. At one time Park Road shopping center had an A & P, Montogomery Ward, J.C. Penney, and a lot of old time stores if I am not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if Harris Teeter expanded this location eventually but the problem is that the USPS has a post office almost right next to the HT. I do not know if they would be willing to movesince that USPS location is very busy. Also, that parking lot at Park Road is set up like Cotswold with those sideways parking spaces that don't save much room for anything else.

Ok thanks. And do you know why Harris Teeter built that other store just a mile south on Park Road (Park Selwyn Terrace)? I always thought it was because they didn't have room to expand the Park Road Shopping Center store.

Edited by cantnot

I believe that one of the city's unspoken requirements for the Scaleybark RFP was to include a grocery store....perhaps this is where HT would go, though that project appears that it may stall a bit.

It could also be going at Citiline's redevelopment of the Sonoco plant across South Blvd. from Poindexter.

While both locations will have substantial residential adjacent to the sites, I don't forsee enough high-income demographic to attract HT in the next 5 years. I would think Bloom would be more interested.

I believe that one of the city's unspoken requirements for the Scaleybark RFP was to include a grocery store....perhaps this is where HT would go, though that project appears that it may stall a bit.

It could also be going at Citiline's redevelopment of the Sonoco plant across South Blvd. from Poindexter.

While both locations will have substantial residential adjacent to the sites, I don't forsee enough high-income demographic to attract HT in the next 5 years. I would think Bloom would be more interested.

Yes, nothing is holding Bloom back. They are building a Bloom in Fort Mill off Carowinds Blvd right next to a golf course that is a VERY affluent area.

An update on the BiLo remodeling that I mentioned was taking place at their location in Huntersville.

They are now having a Grand Re-Opening. Their advertisements say this is a "Fresher, Quicker, Easier way to Shop". I got some junk mail from them that said "Come have a Look!" So I couldn't resist and I went and looked at it. They have put back some of the things that I said they had removed earlier as the flowers are back and there is a small area to sit down and eat. There is now a self serve salad bar. They have also added some of those mini shopping carts that FoodLion is putting in Bloome and are in some express HTs.

It looked as if all the BiLo brass was here as there were a bunch of middle aged men standing around with BiLo badges on their shirts. They were giving away some energy drinks and other free food. Some of the standing around management were eating the free stuff. (mainly the ones that were too big to fit in their clothes comfortably) Some kind of radio station was there too with big speakers on this van. And they had big balloons flying above the place in violation of Hunterville's sign law. :lol:

Maybe this is the hope for saving BiLo in NC. I will admit the store was clean for a change but that might change once the high ups are gone.

Bi-Lo has the problem of not being able to establish itself as either an upscale grocer or mid market grocer... Plus I still don't know WHY Bi-Lo and HT built right next to each other up there.

Also I was thinking.. With the Vacant Bi-Lo in Cornelius and soon-to-be Vacant Harris Teeter up on Torrence Chapel... It would be a good posistion for stores like Earth Fare and Fresh Market to fill.

The owner of the SouthLake shopping center (where that old HT is located) has said they are working with a Whole Foods/EarthFare/etc. kind of place to go into that spot. He said there were certainly the demographics to support it . He declined to say which of these places would be coming in. This will be the last orginal major store in that shopping center to change hands.

The owner of the SouthLake shopping center (where that old HT is located) has said they are working with a Whole Foods/EarthFare/etc. kind of place to go into that spot. He said there were certainly the demographics to support it . He declined to say which of these places would be coming in. This will be the last orginal major store in that shopping center to change hands.

I can see an Earth Fare going there. I heard the Bi-lo is becoming a Salvation Army store, if it hasnt already become one.

Back to the Lowes Foods taking over the Winn Dixie site in Stallings, I don't believe its going to happen. There is a new shopping center going up at the corner of Antioch Church Road & Weddington-Matthews Road. With Harris Teeter and the future Super Bi-Lo just a mile up the road, this is where I bet Lowes Foods is going. I wouldn't mind seeing Bloom go into the Winn-Dixie space, but I don't think they will because it's too close to Food Lion.

Back to the Lowes Foods taking over the Winn Dixie site in Stallings, I don't believe its going to happen. There is a new shopping center going up at the corner of Antioch Church Road & Weddington-Matthews Road. With Harris Teeter and the future Super Bi-Lo just a mile up the road, this is where I bet Lowes Foods is going. I wouldn't mind seeing Bloom go into the Winn-Dixie space, but I don't think they will because it's too close to Food Lion.

That's too bad. I hope the former Winn Dixie does not just get left as a vacant big box eyesore or anything, I mean the location is still at a prime intersection of Stallings. Yeah Lowes Foods would probably be going up at Antioch Church and W-M Road to get the upscale pull of Weddington. Bloom could work there, if only they'd start building stores in south Clt and Union County...

its pretty bad when a roughly 10 year old strip mall is so outdated and ugly that its ready to be torn down already...talking about potter square of course. Stallings is about the ugliest of the towns around Charlotte really. I cant see a grocer wanting to set up shop there.

its pretty bad when a roughly 10 year old strip mall is so outdated and ugly that its ready to be torn down already...talking about potter square of course. Stallings is about the ugliest of the towns around Charlotte really. I cant see a grocer wanting to set up shop there.

Stallings may be underdeveloped, but ugly? I kind of enjoy the last remaining part of Charlotte that actually has empty rolling hills and some houses with land that's more than 1/8 of an acre. The part of Stallings that is west of Old Monroe Rd. (from CPCC on east) is actually not that bad if you disregard Rt. 74 The landscape out near Stevens Mill and such is actually quite inviting. If you are saying that Potter Square is ugly, then I can agree with you there, but the rest of it doesn't look that ugly to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was reading an article on Consumer Reports about Supermarkets and Harris Teeter was rated number 6. Number 1 is Wegmans, Number 2 is Trader Joes, Number 3 is Publix, Number 4 is Raley's, Number 5 is Whole Foods, Number 7 was Costco, Number 8 is Lowes, Number 50 is Food Lion not a suprise there. Targer Super Center was rated very well at number 14, but Wal-Mart Supercenter was at number 45. They ratings were based on Service, Perishables, Price, and Cleanliness.

I was reading an article on Consumer Reports about Supermarkets and Harris Teeter was rated number 6. Number 1 is Wegmans, Number 2 is Trader Joes, Number 3 is Publix, Number 4 is Raley's, Number 5 is Whole Foods, Number 7 was Costco, Number 8 is Lowes, Number 50 is Food Lion not a suprise there. Targer Super Center was rated very well at number 14, but Wal-Mart Supercenter was at number 45. They ratings were based on Service, Perishables, Price, and Cleanliness.

Harris Teeter did indeed score well on CR's ratings, and Lowes did too (they were added this year to the ratings). Wal-Mart always gets gold on price, but other factors weigh them down. Wegman's and Trader Joe's are no surprise to be in the top... and it's not surprising where Food lion, Bi-Lo rate.

I do not know about the Target Supercenter getting #14, the one near Steele Creek looks like a bomb has gone off if you go there after 5 PM, and the other one up near Concord isn't much better.