Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

I welcome this project with open arms! However, I would advise the developers to make this as much like an urban Harris Teeter as they can. The current Deep Roots is a specialty store. A wide range of items must be offered to make this a "one stop shopping" food market! Also, no $4 loafs of bread or $6 gallons of milk or it will fail just like the clothing stores on Elm St. that offered $100 jeans and $50 t-shirts!

Edited by luvdowntowngso

I welcome this project with open arms! However, I would advise the developers to make this as much like an urban Harris Teeter as they can. The current Deep Roots is a specialty store. A wide range of items must be offered to make this a "one stop shopping" food market! Also, no $4 loafs of bread or $6 gallons of milk or it will fail just like the clothing stores on Elm St. that offered $100 jeans and $50 t-shirts!

I agree! the only problem is that store owners downtown charge ridiculous prices because of high leases. Its a big reason downtown retail doesn't have a high success rate. Its also more expensive to build downtown is you are planning to build your own establishment. But I hope Current Roots make their products affordable as possible and they should carry everyday food products that you would find at a Harris Teeter.

Edited by cityboi

The city thinks downtown will require two more parking decks over the next 18-36 months. One has been proposed for Green and McGee, near the new building going up at 324 S. Elm. Read more here.

The pizza chain Donatos appears to be opening a new restaurant on the bottom floor of the Smothers Place lofts at 360 S. Elm. Anyone know anything about this? I haven't heard anything, but saw the signage when I was driving by tonight. Their pizza is delish by the way.

post-22919-12615411204536_thumb.jpg

post-22919-1261541123895_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what's going on beside Fisher's Grille?

post-22919-12615411165309_thumb.jpg

A shot of 324. S. Elm that I took tonight. All five floors appear to be in place, at least the steel.

post-22919-12615411111359_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality. They were taken with my phone.

I havent noticed this but it looks like downtown has a new night hot spot. Called "Boston's House of Jazz" its located in the building that use to be Left Field Tavern next to the ballpark. Apparently the lounge has been in business since July.

a sample of an evening at the House of Jazz. Its about time we have a true Jazz night spot in downtown Greensboro. I love Jazz, it really has an urban vibe to it.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as the jail, there not much to see yet except for the foundation and two high-rise construction cranes. But I need to get some photos of the Lindbrook building. The exterior is virtually done and it looks great at night the way the building is lit up. It really turned out to be an attractive development and it looks better in real life than in the renderings. Usually its vice versa.

Edited by cityboi

downtown greenway loop leads to Trek Bicycle opening up 4,500 foot store in Greensboro. The greenway loop isnt even completed and its already attracting businesses. I think Greensboro is quickly becoming a hot spot for bicyclists with races on the city streets ever year. The greenway will serve as a perfect biking track for local races and will provide recreation for nearby residents.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/06/14/article/bike_shop_chain_opening_store_in_greensboro

Edited by cityboi

^ thats pretty cool! when paceline went out of business it left greensboro without a trek dealer, which enables trek to open a corporate store. trek couldn't do that in most markets because they wouldn't want to cannibalize existing independent trek dealers (ex. ken's bike shop in winston). i know the independent bike shops and their loyal customers will grumble at the notion of a corporate store moving to town, but i see this as another positive sign of the rising popularity of cycling as fun recreation and healthy transportation. kudos to kotis properties; they have a reputation for attracting top-shelf retailers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

construction photo update:

324 South Elm Street (almost complete!) Bin Restaurant will be on the first two floors, office on the 3rd and 4th floors and ultra expensive apartments on the top floor. The building looks really nice lit up at night.

4821225347_7fba3ab31b_b.jpg

4821237397_0d1e7a9e49_b.jpg

4821845800_4a7d1bd6a1_b.jpg

4821847774_e541e84de4_b.jpg

4821857536_4645215b3a_b.jpg

4821853730_9d9ba361cc_b.jpg

4821851744_3c19817338_b.jpg

4821231337_da282c7143_b.jpg

The new 8-story Guilford County Jail tower is making progress.

4821241353_1fdf5e7dac_b.jpg

I'd forgotten all about that project. While it's not the best or the worst in terms of urban development, I wish it had the traditional storefront set-up and wasn't adjacent to a small surface lot.

Its a great project. Actually the main entrance does face Elm Street. That was something the historic preservation committee wanted because the original plan called for the main entrance to face the parking lot. What you see on the side facing the lot is actually the outdoor patio seating area. Its a similar setup to Natty Greene's which is a corner building. I love the architecture but a little more could have been done to make it fit in better with surrounding architecture so that it looks like the building has been there all along. The scale is slightly off. If you'll notice the 3rd floor on the new building doesn't match up with the 3rd floor of the historic building next to it. I would also have liked to seen more architecture detail on the brick and around the windows like the surrounding buildings. But its a great improvement over the first design which was modern and had a lot of glass. I think eventually another development project will be built in that parking lot to close that gap on South Elm. More than likely it will be a parking deck that looks like a commercial building with storefronts on Elm Street. That way anything that gets built there wont remove the badly need parking spaces and at the same the project would have storefronts on Elm Street so that its a seamless row of commercial buildings. A deck would provided more parking space than the current lot. I'd like to see them tear down the ugly Greene Street parking deck and start all over with a historic traditional brick looking deck with storefronts and a restaurant on Greene Street across from city hall.

Tear this sucker down and start all over

20060917-130947-Parking-Greene.jpg

and build a deck like this in its place. On a smaller scale, something similar could be built in that parking lot next to 324 South Elm. By having businesses lease spaces on the ground level, it helps pay for the deck.

405447510.jpg

Edited by cityboi

Its a great project. Actually the main entrance does face Elm Street.

I realize that, but the entrance is cavernous compared to the regular front entrances of the traditional storefronts. It doesn't have the same "face," with windows directly fronting the street. In that regard, it serves as an interruption of sorts.