SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Apparently, the residents of this apartment complex have been told they have 1 month to move out because First Colony Capital has a contract to buy it, and they want everyone out so they can tear it down. They have not disclosed what they plan to do with the property.

This building was originally built as a motel, but had fallen into disrepair by the 70s. It had some rather interesting architecture, but there was a horrible recladding done to which is why it looks so bad now.

Edit: This is the follow on discussion to this archived topic where it was speculated this project would occur.

I'm pretty sure this means that other proposal is dead....several people have tried within the last year to buy it.....First Colony Capital however I believe has the resources to do it...they've already another downtown office building. In this case, it's obvious it will be redeveloped. I'm hoping for more office space, or at least a mix of office and residential.....I guess we'll see.

Edit. I enjoy how negative WSOC makes everything sound.

People living in low-income housing in the heart of uptown were suddenly informed this weekend that they'll have to get out before bulldozers tear down their homes to make way for new development.

For decades Renaissance Place has been home to some of uptown's less fortunate residents, but its location on the corner of North Tryon and 10th streets has become a prime spot for redevelopment.

This place isn't low income subsidized, it's just plain cheap housing that requires no background check, resulting in a hotbed of crack dealers and transvite hookers. As far as the Section 8 renters that are there.....they'll better off IMO almost anywhere else, though it would be nice of First Colony Capital to assit those that are elderly in finding a place and moving.

Edited by atlrvr

Me too. Tryon is such a valuable aspect to this city, and sometimes projects on the edge fail to have the imagination that in the future their land will be included in the heart of things, rather than the edge. I think that if the design choices are right, and properly relate to Tryon Street, then this part of Tryon will not give the 'oops, I've gone too far' feeling it does now.

I also hope they front Church Street better. North Church is a good address, but it is not built out in a way to support much activity. Renaissance is abyssmal on Church, and marginal on Tryon.

I think we all have kind of resigned that the CBJ was flat wrong on the 50 story proposal, as even the rendering was 25 stories. But does today's new information mean that that developer is out altoghether?

This isn't to be confused with the Renaissance Place Suites which is currently being auctioned off in individual parcels.

I did hear an advertisement on 1110 WBT about a Land Auction out at the Renaissance Place Suites where they will be selling land parcels from all over the Southeast...but they are not actually selling the hotel...just having the auction at the hotel.

But I'm sure if you came with a big enough check you could buy the hotel too.

Edited by uptownliving

^Are you looking at first-colony.com, or firstcolonycapital.com (they both appear to be parts of the same company)? They seem to do a lot of Morrocroft-style stuff. Lots of brick Georgian suburban kinda buildings, or Ballantyne-style strip centers. Is there a different First Colony that's involved? If not, I can't imagine a UNCC or CPCC "new old" type of building on Tryon St. right there.

It is owned by Renaissance Place LLC based here in Charlotte. The principal of Renaissance Place is David Kossove. I am not aware of any goverment subsidy going to this development. It is just a cheap place to live downtown.

L8090938.JPG

He bought the property in 1996 for $3,000,000

The structure was built in 1958 and has a Tax Value of $6.7M

Edited by uptownliving

• 1 month later...

Well, I'd say they have a pretty good idea of what they want to build already, just signing a few contracts before they announce.

That kind of land price would justify 250 condos and 250k sq. ft. of office with some retail, assuming there is a mix as speculation indicates. Of course, they could go for more to try and maximize the land.

I think reponsible development would be 400,000 sq. ft. of offices facing Tryon

and 180 condos along Church.

To take the speculation 1 step further, I see the uses in two towers, over a combined above/below ground deck. The condo tower being 17 stories and the office tower 24 stories.

Looking at the satellite image this is a pretty good sized piece of property, and one of the few left of that size directly on Tryon. Hopefully whatever they do with it, they do a much better job of integrating the street front retail than the awful Odell building next door. Unfortunately there is so much dead space between this property and the square it's going to be hard to do something unless some how they could revive the old Sears property across the street into some kind of urbanopolis.

^Agreed. There is definitely a large gap between all the happenings on Tryon and this project. The question becomes do you go ahead and build street level retail with the hopes that more retail will span between the square and this project, or do you go ahead and leave it an option for the future if/when retail does move north on Tryon.

Just a quick question, where is Twelve Charlotte located in relation to this project?