Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

It leaves quite the first impression. "Welcome to West Michigan! Here's some beer, here's a Grand Rapids Magazine store, he's some burned toast!"

I can't believe no one from the airport authority has cited them for it. A tenant couldn't get away with it at Woodland Mall, why at the airport?

I'm not sure why it hasn't been addressed.  The F&B at the airport is all handled by HMS Host.  I don't know if the Bells is operated by them as well, but like in most airports almost every brand and food option is operated by a single company.  Usually the HMS management is in lock step with airport management.

They just got done remodeling Concourse B. I assumed they would take care of the problem when they moved them across the hallway. I emailed a staff person with much the same comments - "welcome to GR smell the burnt bagels  and "you know your in GR by the smell ".  I only fly GRR to TPA and back once a year but nothing like that in the Tampa airport. I asked him if the HVAC engineer screwed up. No response yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although it should open a lot of options from Midway, which is good. More options!

Joe

Although MIdway is a better connection, SW is ending the St Louis option as well as Tampa and seasonal to FT Meyers.....bigger losses than gains here.

Still on the wish list....SW adding daily flights to Vegas

Delta to JFK and BOS, seasonal to CAN

American to LGA,  DCA and PHX

Allegiant to LAX

Air Canada returns to TOR

All possibilities! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/9/2015 at 9:49 PM, jdkacz said:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/12/airport.html#incart_river_index

I am pretty excited. Investments in the airport are a good move I hope to generate higher traffic and hopefully lower prices and more non-stop options.

Took a few pictures of the airport construction today.

First, inside they are working on the new floor.  The wavy part is the new floor so far.  The partitioned off part is where they're working now.  It's quite a mess:  

NEW FLOOR.JPG

From the observation deck here is a shot looking east toward concourse B along the edge of the existing terminal wall:

LOOKING EAST ALONG TERMINAL WALL.JPG

Here's another shot looking east slightly away from the terminal:

LOOKING EAST.JPG

Here's looking straight south towards concourse A where they are beginning to build the foundation for the south wall of the terminal:

LOOKING SOUTH.JPG

And this one is looking west.  They've built a foundation and floor for what will be a widened ramp to concourse A.  This is pretty much on the other side of the wall where TSA is now in concourse A.  The pale yellow boxes are new Kohler backup generators:

LOOKING WEST.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing. Is that Terrazzo? I'm glad they are going with a hard surface. I don't like the carpet and acoustic tile-type walls as you walk from check-in to security. 

Joe

Yes, it is Terrazzo.  It should hold up a lot better than the carpets and the linoleum like flooring material they put in last remodeling.  Based on the renderings on the airport and the TowerPinkster sites, it’s hard to figure out how this all is going to fit together.  I can’t see where the floor they’ve done so far matches much the flooring in the renderings.  I guess it’s too early to see how all the pieces fit together. 

TOWERPINKSTER renderings

GRR website renderings

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, arcturus said:

There's a huge warehouse under construction right next to the airport visitor center on Kraft.  Anyone know who's going in?  Looks like Wolverine is the contractor.

You mean by the viewing area? I believe that's Bob Grooters next big thing/project.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/85036-grooters-pushes-aggressive-construction-timeline

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...