The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I rode by today, and it's still empty. Between Charles Schwab and Sticky Fingers is unfinished shell.

OK. I wasn't 100% sure. It seemed to me there were offices there the last time I parked at the Spring Street Garage and walked to Sticky Fingers. Granted, that's been a while, so my memory isn't that great.

• 2 weeks later...

I read about these two shops recently. Doesn't Talloni have a shop in Greer already? It wouldn't be the first time Greenville and Greer has the same shop/restaurant. :shades:

Edit: Quick search discovered their official website, and yes, they are located in downtown Greer, as I remembered. Very nice shop for downtown Greenville to have. :thumbsup:

Edit #2: Plaza Suite is currently located in Lewis Plaza on Augusta Road. I wonder if they will be relocating completely?

Edited by Skyliner

I read about these two shops recently. Doesn't Talloni have a shop in Greer already? It wouldn't be the first time Greenville and Greer has the same shop/restaurant. :shades:

Edit: Quick search discovered their official website, and yes, they are located in downtown Greer, as I remembered. Very nice shop for downtown Greenville to have. :thumbsup:

Edit #2: Plaza Suite is currently located in Lewis Plaza on Augusta Road. I wonder if they will be relocating completely?

Looks like Plaza Suite is starting to franchise, so I would think this will be an additional location. I've seen a sign for another new location near Five Forks, in a new center off Woodruff.

Talloni's in Franchinsing, both stores are opening Five Forks locations as well.

Does anybody know anything about this new Jimmy John's sub place at the Bookends? I've never heard of them before. Pictures look tasty.

I've eaten at a Jimmy John's in Pittsburgh and Nashville. Their subs are pretty good (much better than Subway IMHO) but you pay more than Subway too if i recall correctly. Definitely would be a decent lunch type place - though I think their subs are larger than what you find at Subway

Does anybody know anything about this new Jimmy John's sub place at the Bookends? I've never heard of them before. Pictures look tasty.

Welcome to UP, Mr.Downtown. :)

When I was by Jimmy Johns today it looked like it was coming along nicely. Should be opening soon, I hope. I've eaten at one in Charlottesville. I really liked them. :thumbsup: Like gregtrob says, they are more expensive. I remember thinking they were priced more like a Potbelly.

I've eaten at a Jimmy John's in Pittsburgh and Nashville. Their subs are pretty good (much better than Subway IMHO) but you pay more than Subway too if i recall correctly. Definitely would be a decent lunch type place - though I think their subs are larger than what you find at Subway

Jimmy John's is pretty good. I used to eat at Columbia's from time to time. I'm glad to know Greenville is getting one. Where is it going?

They will have to be incredible to take my business away from Bellacino's. Something about those hot grinders makes them very addicting. :wub:

^ I agree. That is just a fantastic restaurant.

Jimmie John's will soon be opening on the first floor in The Bookends, at the corner of McBee Avenue and Spring Street. One positive is that eating lunch there will give you a great view of The Peacock Hotel & Spa (98 McBee) as it begins to rise across the street.

Hopefully they will be able to make it on that corner before McBee Station and the Peacock are finished.

Welcome to UP, Mr.Downtown. :)

When I was by Jimmy Johns today it looked like it was coming along nicely. Should be opening soon, I hope. I've eaten at one in Charlottesville. I really liked them. :thumbsup: Like gregtrob says, they are more expensive. I remember thinking they were priced more like a Potbelly.

You just had to mention Potbelly, didn't you? ;) I used to love going there when I lived in DC, and would love for them to open a Greenville store. Last time I checked, they had not expanded south (much like Trader Joe's, another place I REALLY wish we had).

I have never been to Jimmy Johns, but look forward to trying it.

You just had to mention Potbelly, didn't you? ;) I used to love going there when I lived in DC, and would love for them to open a Greenville store. Last time I checked, they had not expanded south (much like Trader Joe's, another place I REALLY wish we had).

I have never been to Jimmy Johns, but look forward to trying it.

Sorry....did I make you hungry? :lol:

Potbelly would be fantastic here!

I heard about a year ago that Cosi is entering this market (and thought it was kind of a done deal). I guess it could be a 2007 entry. I'll call my source and see. With some of the types of retail centers we have coming online in 2007....Magnolia Park, McBee Station, more Riverplace, more at the Point.....several of them seem to be made perfectly for Cosi locations.

Sorry....did I make you hungry? :lol:

Potbelly would be fantastic here!

I heard about a year ago that Cosi is entering this market (and thought it was kind of a done deal). I guess it could be a 2007 entry. I'll call my source and see. With some of the types of retail centers we have coming online in 2007....Magnolia Park, McBee Station, more Riverplace, more at the Point.....several of them seem to be made perfectly for Cosi locations.

I agree about Cosi being a great fit here. How about in the West End?

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is more bad news coming on this front. I overheard someone say an off-Main St. retailer was closing next month. I won't repeat the name here, but they are a unique retailer that have been DT at least 10 years.

The source was a commercial realtor, so they should know.

This is starting to be a trend, a very bad one....