South Florida Restaurants

DaiDreamer5

I like food. While some people go to exploring different bars, I explore different restaurants (good thing I have a high metabolism :lol: ). In the Tallahassee forums, there is a fairly active topic about local restaurants. I was hoping to start one here to get the dirt on local restaurants, etc. I am returning to the area in a few months so I want to have a list of place to try out by then. :yahoo:

Here are a few places I remember from my childhood/teenagehood:

Pizza Girls: I used to attend the drum circles on Thursday night. Before things got setup I'd head over to Pizza Girls for some yummy Pizza. I hope it's still there.

John G's by the Beach: They used to do the Fish Fry's at the local Catholic Churches (might still do). I have never eaten at their restaurant, but I hear there is usually a line.

The Bomber Squadron: One of my Favorite Restaurants. I love the atmosphere of the whole place and the food is good too.

All of these are in Palm Beach County but I wouldn't mind traveling a ways to try out a new place. :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few of my favorites in Fort Lauderdale:

Mark's Las Olas- downtown Fort Lauderdale- great fusion cooking, nice atmosphere- expensive

Eduardo de San Angel- Commercial Boulevard- F.L.- outstanding Mexican/fusion cooking in an otherwise dreary setting

Casa d-Angelo- F.L.- Italian restaurant with expert cooking in a strip mall. Go inside and you will be surprised.

Southport Raw Bar- sit outside on the deck and enjoy raw oysters, clams and more- very basic atmosphere, but great seafood

I will add more places as they come to mind.

• 2 months later...

The Bomber Squadron Closed in October of 2006. Quite sad, I loved that restraunt, but it is really part of a chain of restraunts, and the higher-ups only saw numbers, and didn't look at the actual area. The problem was that the road it was located on, Southern Blvd, underwent extensive construction, and is now a limited access highway. The construction made it extremely difficult to get into the place, and so business declined. Quite sad that they closed right before season, and right after the construction was fully complete.

I also heard there's been some controversy over the John G's on the Beach; Lake Worth wants to redevelop the area. I really enjoy John G's breakfasts.

I just got back from Fort Lauderdale today. We paid another visit to the Cafe Seville on East Oakland Park Boulevard yesterday. While it certainly doesn't look like much (inside or out), their kitchen is usually up to something good. It's certainly better than the over-hyped Cafe Martorano across the street.

• 9 months later...

I ran across this today in the Sun-Sentinel. A restaurant devoted entirely to cereal? I've heard of weird restaurant concepts before, but this is over the top. Trix with strawberries? Count Chocula with grated coconut? Somehow, I don't see this lasting very long. The "restaurant" in the article is in Plantation. Supposedly, there's a similar restaurant in Coral Gables which has done well. I suppose there's no accounting for taste...

The Sun-Sentinel

I ran across this today in the Sun-Sentinel. A restaurant devoted entirely to cereal? I've heard of weird restaurant concepts before, but this is over the top. Trix with strawberries? Count Chocula with grated coconut? Somehow, I don't see this lasting very long. The "restaurant" in the article is in Plantation. Supposedly, there's a similar restaurant in Coral Gables which has done well. I suppose there's no accounting for taste...

The Sun-Sentinel

• 9 months later...

Highrise dining? You have got me there- at least in Miami. Most of the restaurants I have visited in Miami hug the ground. There is a restaurant at the top of the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel in Fort Lauderdale. I think the former Westin in Miami Beach has a rooftop dining room, though the hotel is now known as the Miami Beach Resort and Spa. In most cases, I have found that restaurants at the top of buildings place more emphasis on the view than they might place upon the food. If I can think of others, I'll post here.

Highrise dining? You have got me there- at least in Miami. Most of the restaurants I have visited in Miami hug the ground. There is a restaurant at the top of the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel in Fort Lauderdale. I think the former Westin in Miami Beach has a rooftop dining room, though the hotel is now known as the Miami Beach Resort and Spa. In most cases, I have found that restaurants at the top of buildings place more emphasis on the view than they might place upon the food. If I can think of others, I'll post here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note on a much-heralded restaurant in Oakland Park. I finally went to By Word of Mouth (Oakland Park Blvd. at 12th Street) about a week or so ago. There's no doubt that the fiid is good, I just wonder whether or not it's worth the expenditure. There's no atmosphere whatsoever. The food was good, but I'd almost rather go to Riley McDermott's downtown. Thoughts?

• 3 months later...

The Latest Todd English Outpost....

I was pleasantly surprised by our lunch yesterday at da Campo Osteria, the new Todd English bistro at Il Lugano, the condo-hotel on the Intracoastal. I was expecting something along the lines of the Olives in Washington- overpriced food served with extra helpings of attitude. Nothing could have been further from the case here. The food was excellent, the service friendly (ok, so it wasn't perfect in every detail- but a good attitude makes up for a lot). and the prices were comparable to what one would pay on Las Olas.

A quick shot of the open kitchen....

3132211628_ecc8540442.jpg

Archived