3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Not sure if there is a Latta Arcade/Brevard Court thread, but WSOCTV just tweeted that Latta Arcade was being evacuated due to structural concerns from blasting at the 300 S. Tryon site.

You guys, one of you, said this could happen

• Like 1

There's what looks to be one huge rock right up against Latta. Maybe it was cautionary in case the blast shock traveled through the rock underneath? Anyhow they've already split it once along that wall. I'm amazed by how precise they can be with those charges.

• 1 month later...

Woodfield:

IMG_1075.JPG

Also, I was talking with a bartender at Draught about the remodeling/redevelopment of the Foundry. He says the owners of Draught are close to "breaking ground" on a pizza place on the other side of the Foundry. Now, I'm not sure if he meant the smaller of the two Foundry buildings, or they're literally going to build something new, but maybe someone else knows more?

• Like 2

Also, I was talking with a bartender at Draught about the remodeling/redevelopment of the Foundry. He says the owners of Draught are close to "breaking ground" on a pizza place on the other side of the Foundry. Now, I'm not sure if he meant the smaller of the two Foundry buildings, or they're literally going to build something new, but maybe someone else knows more?

I've heard nothing of the sort but that would be interesting. I'm surprised they think there's the foot traffic to justify that. 

I've heard nothing of the sort but that would be interesting. I'm surprised they think there's the foot traffic to justify that. 

if you build it they will come. Draught does pretty well, I've heard, people go there.

• 3 weeks later...

Some day in the future people will exit our grand Gateway Station in uptown and this will be the inspiring view that faces them as they enter the city...

I guess I'm asking....are they really planning to just have gain generators facing Graham Street right across from Gateway Station?  Really????

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have you seen how much beige there is in this project? They clearly haven't thought of anything really.

The Mint actually has quality materials.  But it's the least exciting thing I've ever seen in my life.  And it makes me sad that it'll greet visitors to Charlotte when they exit Gateway.  

In in a way it's kind of funny/sad.  We build in Charlotte the same way I build when I play Sim City drunk.  "Hmmm, where should the Trash Incinerator go??  Oh!  There's some space, right next to my Commercially Zoned District!"

The Mint really isn't that bad

I'm sorry I don't agree.  It is a travesty both Mint and Woodfield got built.  Big deal they slapped some brick/stone on it.  You should see how the gutters meet the sidewalk, shoddy work all the way.  The blank stone walls around the whole building is disgusting and not right for its location.  There is not one thing I consider acceptable about either of these projects.  Most positive thing can say about them is they are stick built and in 30 years, hopefully less, they will be easy to bulldoze.

• Like 3

I'm sorry I don't agree.  It is a travesty both Mint and Woodfield got built.  Big deal they slapped some brick/stone on it.  You should see how the gutters meet the sidewalk, shoddy work all the way.  The blank stone walls around the whole building is disgusting and not right for its location.  There is not one thing I consider acceptable about either of these projects.  Most positive thing can say about them is they are stick built and in 30 years, hopefully less, they will be easy to bulldoze.

Agreed.  At street level, they are monolithic garbage surrounding what is becoming one of the most active parts of Uptown.  In 10 years, we will shake our heads at these lots and realize how big of waste these projects are.

There are two separate complaints going on here. The first is aesthetic and detailing: beiging. That's all fine and well. Apart from historic districts you can't regulate aesthetics (and, I would argue, you shouldn't.) It's a totally neutral building to me. Completely forgettable, not ugly or nice enough to remember even when you're staring at it.

One factor in the historic districts is that it deters investments, and makes it hard to improve the aesthetics because ugly misdeeds of the 70s and 80s are treated as historic by virtue of being there.   So you can't say tear out a bad addition from the 70s and replace it with a better one without a major fight.   

Meanwhile all over the place the city is allowing new misdeeds by not have some basic expectations of quality.  

Color is not something that should be regulated, but quality should be and there are very quantitative ways of measuring quality that could be added to the codes. 

Reading back through our 2020 plan, given our unhappiness with the quality of development around the ballpark.  This quote kills me.  What's the point of making a plan if you decide it ignore it completely?!

The 4th Street edge should be developed with
commercial and/or residential uses as part of the
Knights Stadium development. The intersections
of Graham/4th streets and Mint Street/MLK should
include plaza space, iconic architecture and public
art to maximize visibility from the surroundings.

Ground-fl oor spaces should be designed to be
fl exible and accommodate changing uses over time;
market demand for retail and restaurants would
grow gradually as redevelopment on adjacent
properties occurs and the ground-fl oor edges of
the stadium should be designed to maximize this
potential over the long-term.

There are two separate complaints going on here. The first is aesthetic and detailing: beiging. That's all fine and well. Apart from historic districts you can't regulate aesthetics (and, I would argue, you shouldn't.) It's a totally neutral building to me. Completely forgettable, not ugly or nice enough to remember even when you're staring at it.

Do you agree with the General Assembly's move to remove authority from local jurisdictions to make the decision for themselves?

Do you agree with the General Assembly's move to remove authority from local jurisdictions to make the decision for themselves?

I could be wrong, but I think he is basically saying: "Architecture is less important than Urban Design". The idea that for a four-story apartment building, an urban designer has no interest in what is above the first 12 feet of wall fronting the sidewalk. But rather does that wall space activate the sidewalk, and make it interesting or worth-while to walk down as a pedestrian? etc.

As far as State v. City control over development, I believe state has little to no role to play in most cases. But I feel as though regulating how buildings "look", the architecture, is a tricky, sticky business. I think