Columbia Photo of the Day

Firefox

000_0120.jpg

We have got to get people out on these streets.

Well, if there was something to DO on Main Street, I would get out on it! :unsure:

Like I've said before, Columbia is in desperate need of an infusion of high-end, gourmet restaurants on its Main Street. Look at Greenville with its multiple sophisticated choices and variety of cuisine (and of course Charleston's abundance of world-class eateries.) The Vista is mid-brow and Devine Street's you can count on one hand. A new boutique hotel will be opening up soon, adding to the Marriott's throngs of sophisticated and hungry guests. Delicious and lively bistros and full-course restaurants--Thai and other ethnic cuisine, and nouveau southern fusion are particularly needed) are crucial to attract these visitors, and especially locals, to any successful downtown to give it a nightime vibe. This will translate into more shops and night spots opening up as well, and will be a boon for those who will be living downtown.

Let's hope that 2007 will finally be the year that spices up Main Street's palate!

Digi, the Five Points/Devine Street area is the king of the dining out circuit right now, but the Vista is getting more interesting restaurants, especially since 2 new sushi bars have opened recently in the area. Main Street is not the center of nightlife in Columbia, the Vista and Five Points are. In Greenville, Main Street is it; there isn't anything else. Main Street in Columbia isn't totally devoid of fine dining/nightlife (Villa Tronco, Hennesey's, Hampton Street Vineyard, Mac's on Main), but it is not the CBD's primary focus - other parts of downtown cater to the nightlife crowd.

Well, if there was something to DO on Main Street, I would get out on it! :unsure:

Like I've said before, Columbia is in desperate need of an infusion of high-end, gourmet restaurants on its Main Street. Look at Greenville with its multiple sophisticated choices and variety of cuisine (and of course Charleston's abundance of world-class eateries.) The Vista is mid-brow and Devine Street's you can count on one hand. A new boutique hotel will be opening up soon, adding to the Marriott's throngs of sophisticated and hungry guests. Delicious and lively bistros and full-course restaurants--Thai and other ethnic cuisine, and nouveau southern fusion are particularly needed) are crucial to attract these visitors, and especially locals, to any successful downtown to give it a nightime vibe. This will translate into more shops and night spots opening up as well, and will be a boon for those who will be living downtown.

Let's hope that 2007 will finally be the year that spices up Main Street's palate!

Where are Greenville's other urban commercial districts that are their version of the Vista, Five Points and Devine Street? I'd like to know so next time I'm up there I can try a different scene than the same stretch all the time.

And I don't think anybody would trade the Vista, Five-Points, and all the better restaurants that are downtown for JUST Main St. like Greenville

Has nobody noticed that this street in the above picture is not Main Street? Thats Hampton from Sumter Street. In order to get activity here, you first need to get Sumter St to have more shops and restaurants and all of the stuff that needs to go on Main Street too.

We've been down this road before, and we know that comparing Main Streets in Gville and Cola isn't productive.

Where are Greenville's other urban commercial districts that are their version of the Vista, Five Points and Devine Street? I'd like to know so next time I'm up there I can try a different scene than the same stretch all the time.

I see your point, and while I like the fact that Columbia has Main Street, Five Points, and The Vista, Greenville's urban commercial district is not just Main Street. Downtown is one neighborhood (Main St. from Stone Ave. to the Reedy River) and the West End is another (Main St. from the Reedy River to Augusta St. and Pendleton St.). These are two very distinct neighborhoods in Greenville's urban core. Just because they are on the same street doesn't make them any less valid than Columbia's districts - especially since a river separates the two. Augusta Road is another urban commerical district, although not as booming with pedestrians as downtown and the West End.

Regardless of the city, neighborhoods and districts are about character, vibe, and personality. Greenville's urban districts are each unique in their own way, just as Columbia's are. Our two cities both have a lot going for them, and I don't see the need to badmouth one another.

And I don't think anybody would trade the Vista, Five-Points, and all the better restaurants that are downtown for JUST Main St. like Greenville

I for one, dang sure wouldn't, lol and not just because its greenville. ;)

For what it's worth, I kinda see Greenville's West End as a smaller version of the Vista. The West End has the luxury of being a district unto itself, but connected with a thriving Main Street.

Yeah but everything they have in DT Greenville is connected to Main street so its only natural that is is thriving and "better" than columbia's, as well all know Columbias Main Street is the center of bussiness within the city so its not exactly after hours friendly. Like Sumter's Broad Street and Florence's David McLoed Blvd are the most thrving streets in those citys, but Columbia like most major cities has areas/districts in DT that is vibrant and thriving.

Edited by Firefox