Baton Rouge Restaurants

byrde

Good for Chef Varnedoe; former Belaire-grad! What is moderately priced "upscale" mean?? The renovation of the Kress sure looks great!! I would like to check-out the roof-top terrace. Only wish the little box-theatre would have been part of the mix. Encouraging to see more residential units added downtown.

Now that end of Third Street needs an "anchor" entertainment destination adjacent to the Kress; like the Plan BR proposal...

I didn't know he was a Belaire Grad. Did he add the "E" after his BHS days? You know, an attempt to make it "frenchy". :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

:lol: Good question Bryde!

New Orleans-area restaurant to open downtown location

Another New Orleans-area restaurant operator has plans to open a Baton Rouge location. Wags on the Levee is scheduled to open on Third Street by June 15. It's the local version of Wags Food & Culture, a 16-year-old Marrero eatery. Wags will specialize in "Southern classic" dishes, such as gumbo, fried seafood, crawfish cornbread and stuffed bell peppers, says owner Colleen Collins. "Downtown Baton Rouge is growing, and we figure we could bring some good food down there," says Collins. Plans are for Wags to be open for lunch and dinner until 11 p.m. during the week and until 2:30 a.m. on weekends. The restaurant plans to add a Sunday brunch by August. The restaurant will open in the same space that has been occupied by several eateries in the past few years, including Miller's, New York Bagel and Caf

Just FYI.

Im working at Stroube's waiting tables. To make a long story short we are opening friday the 24th, or saturday the 25th. I am really excited about the resturant. All of the products are made in house, and NOTHING other then fresh ingrediants are shipped to the resturant. Also, as many local farmers as possible were used for providing fresh produce. So please come in and try it out, when we open, and support a new downtown business, just remember to ask for "Steven" and tell me you are from UP!

Are you still waiting tables at Stroube's? I was there tonight with a group from work, but for the life of me I couldn't remember your name. I didn't want to ask for you by your name from board. I brought in some big timers from my company that were here for a meeting. They loved it.

Are you still waiting tables at Stroube's? I was there tonight with a group from work, but for the life of me I couldn't remember your name. I didn't want to ask for you by your name from board. I brought in some big timers from my company that were here for a meeting. They loved it.

Yea, I was working tonight! (we were pretty dead)

Did yall have a party of 6, were sitting near the restrooms, and your waiter was Alec?

If anyone else happens to want to give it a try and want me to take care of ya, my name is Steven. :thumbsup:

Yea, I was working tonight! (we were pretty dead)

Did yall have a party of 6, were sitting near the restrooms, and your waiter was Alec?

If anyone else happens to want to give it a try and want me to take care of ya, my name is Steven. :thumbsup:

Yes! I was at that table. I was there with our CEO, Chief Medical Director, Regional VP, a Local Medical Direction and an Account Executive. For 3 of them, it was their first trip to BR and they were very impressed with the Hilton Capitol Center, Shaw Center and Stroube's. Tell Alec he did a great job and two thumbs up to the chef!

Are Mondays always slow?

Yes! I was at that table. I was there with our CEO, Chief Medical Director, Regional VP, a Local Medical Direction and an Account Executive. For 3 of them, it was their first trip to BR and they were very impressed with the Hilton Capitol Center, Shaw Center and Stroube's. Tell Alec he did a great job and two thumbs up to the chef!

Are Mondays always slow?

Yea, Monday's are slow at all restaurants, but that night was particularly slow. Business has been picking up every shift though, so its really starting to catch on. I'm really glad you and your business associates enjoyed it and downtown, spread the word!

So how was Stroubes?

I'm thinking about going there with friends this weekend if I don't break down and drive up to Omaha.

The food was good, but it is not the cheapest joint in town. I actually like to refer to food @ places like Stroube's as pretty food. They do a great job with presentation. Personally I like to go to "belly rubbin'" food restaurants like Parrains, Drusilla or Mike Anderson's. I don't like to stuff myself, but I do like walking away not having room for desert.

• 5 weeks later...

N.O. restaurant opening location downtown

Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar and Restaurant, a New Orleans Warehouse district eatery, plans to open a location on Third Street. Bruce Rampick, who owns Lucy's, says a lease has been signed for the old D'Agostino's/Caf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

"Shreveport pizza restaurant coming to Baton Rouge

PieWorks Pizza By Design is scheduled to take over the two buildings recently occupied by Schlotzsky's Deli. The Shreveport-based chain says on its Web site it is going into the former Schlotzsky's locations on Jefferson Highway and South Sherwood Forest Boulevard. PieWorks has been open since 1990, offering pizzas with a variety of toppings, including shrimp scampi and roast beef, in addition to classic pies. The company, which has four locations in Shreveport and Monroe and one in North Carolina, has recently started franchising and is set to open a restaurant soon near Jackson, Miss"

businessreport.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Pizza chain plans Airline Highway location

Isabella's Pizzeria is set to open its second Baton Rouge location, in the Bluebonnet Square shopping center. Officials with Isabella's say the new restaurant at Bluebonnet Boulevard and Airline Highway should be open by the spring. The restaurant has posted a sign for its alcoholic beverage permit. Isabella's, based in Covington, has three locations in South Louisiana, including one on George O'Neal Road. The chain, which has a Mediterranean flair, specializes in pizzas, sandwiches, calzones and pasta dishes."

From the businessreport

"Todaro plans to open new wine, liquor store

Gene Todaro is set to reopen his Marcello's Wine Warehouse this spring on Perkins Road, right in front of his Enoteca Marcello’s Wine Bar. Marcello's Wine Warehouse closed at the end of 2009 but will reopen around April in the Glass Works Unlimited building. "I've got my own little fiefdom," says Todaro. "People who are shopping at the store will be able to walk across the parking lot and pick up something to eat in the wine bar and vice versa." Todaro sold his old Marcello's, at a location just west of his wine bar, in the fall. The new Marcello's will have about 15% more space than the old location, with 20-foot ceilings, so bottles of wine and liquor can be stacked high. The setup will be similar to the wine warehouse Todaro operated out of the old Books-A-Million building on Perkins a few years ago. Along with selling beer, liquor and wine, Marcello's will now carry gourmet dishes to go, Todaro says."

from the Business Report

• 2 weeks later...

Couyon’s moving to LSU-area site

Couyon’s, the Texas barbecue eatery at Burbank Drive and Gardere Lane, will move by March to commercial space in the Staybridge Suites hotel near LSU. Now a piggyback location in a Shell convenience store, Couyon’s will triple its space, change from a quick-service to a full-service restaurant, it aims to open in R.W. Day’s Southgate Tower development in time for much of LSU’s baseball season across Nicholson Drive at Alex Box Stadium.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/82955442.html

• 1 month later...

"Pancho's Mexican Buffet rides again

Pancho's Mexican Buffet is set to return to Baton Rouge nearly five years after the popular family restaurant shut down its local restaurant. A Pancho's will open in early April in the Siegen Village Shopping Center, across from Target. Ralph Romero, manager of the Pancho's in Metairie, says the chain has new owners but kept the same recipes. Pancho's operated a restaurant in Baton Rouge for years, then closed its Florida Boulevard location in summer 2005. The chain kept open its locations in Metairie and Bossier City. A Facebook page for the Baton Rouge Pancho's already has more than 3,750 fans."

businessreport.com

"Pancho's Mexican Buffet rides again

Pancho's Mexican Buffet is set to return to Baton Rouge nearly five years after the popular family restaurant shut down its local restaurant. A Pancho's will open in early April in the Siegen Village Shopping Center, across from Target. Ralph Romero, manager of the Pancho's in Metairie, says the chain has new owners but kept the same recipes. Pancho's operated a restaurant in Baton Rouge for years, then closed its Florida Boulevard location in summer 2005. The chain kept open its locations in Metairie and Bossier City. A Facebook page for the Baton Rouge Pancho's already has more than 3,750 fans."

businessreport.com

Sweet! That place was cheap and the food was decent.

Another jolt of good news for the area...

Cane’s buys Cortana site

Flor-Line Associates has sold a .77-acre site on the northwest corner of the Florida Boulevard service road and Centerway Boulevard to CAN-TEC for a new Raising Cane’s restaurant at the entrance to Cortana Mall. The sale price was $345,830, or more than $10.20 per square foot. Mark Hebert with Kurz and Hebert Real Estate brokered the transaction.

The site has 170 feet of frontage on the service road and about 180 feet of frontage on Centerway Boulevard. It is located across the boulevard from a Burger King. Raising Cane’s intends to begin construction within six months.

*from Business Report

• 2 weeks later...

"Rock-n-Sake opens on Perkins

Walking in, you might think you've taken a wrong turn and ended up in New York through some accident of geography. The decor is slick and modern, from the walls hang funky pop art, and colorful schools of neon-lit glass jellyfish dangle from the ceiling. This is Rock-n-Sake, the latest restaurant to open in the fast-growing Perkins Road overpass area. The restaurant’s original location in New Orleans has already made a name for itself as a hip sushi spot, and owners Tisbee and Dirk Danton and Duke Nelson had been looking for an opportunity to expand to Baton Rouge for some time. "We were really just waiting on a good locale," says Tisbee Danton. Behind the mostly glassed-in façade is an airy, industrial space, much roomier than it looks from the outside, with a spacious bar and mezzanine dining area for private parties. Dirk Danton also serves as the executive chef, and his sushi is much more than standard fare. Along with offering classics like dragon rolls and Philadelphia rolls, Rock-n-Sake serves up specialties like the LSU roll (tempura shrimp, snow crab, tuna, avocado and cream cheese drizzled with eel sauce) and the Hawaii 5-0 roll (coconut-tempura shrimp and cream cheese with mango and avocado)."

http://businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

• 2 weeks later...

"Five Guys coming to LSU, Towne Center

Five Guys, a popular burger and fries restaurant with more than 550 locations nationwide, will open two locations in Baton Rouge within the next four months. One will be built in the Towne Center at Cedar Lodge located next to Zea Rotisserie & Grill, and the other one will replace the LSU area Blockbuster on Highland Road, says franchisee Billy Jacob, a Lafayette native, who hopes to open both locations before football season starts.

Jacob says those restaurants will be the first of 15 he brings to southeast Louisiana in the next 10 years. Covington and Lafayette locations are expected to open within 18 months. More stores will eventually be brought to Ascension, Livingston, Tangipahoa and Jefferson parishes. Each store will create at least 15 jobs. Five Guys was created in 1986 in Arlington, Va., and grew popular in the Washington, D.C., metro area. The never-frozen menu offers burgers, hotdogs and twice-fried French fries with a variety of toppings.

"The food is strong enough to survive the palate of people in Louisiana," Jacob says. "I wanted to be the one that brought it to Louisiana, because if it wasn't me, there would definitely be someone else. It is consistently designated a Zagat 'best restaurant." Five Guys was ranked the fastest-growing restaurant chain in the nation in 2009, according to restaurant consulting firm Technomic."

"Brick House Tavern + Tap planned for Mall of Louisiana

The first Brick House Tavern + Tap in the state is set to open in October at the Mall of Louisiana. Plans are for the restaurant to open in the old Bennigan’s building, says Todd Denton, mall manager. Brick House is set to go before the city-parish Planning Commission this month to get an alcohol permit. The tavern eatery is owned by Houston-based Ignite Restaurant Group, which owns Joe’s Crab Shack. There are more than 10 Brick House locations across the U.S. The restaurant is aimed at young men, featuring a menu with burgers, chicken wings, sloppy joes and tater tots, along with plenty of TVs, Brick House girls as waitresses and 100-ounce “beer bongs.”"

^Haha. Sounds like a the pub version of Hooters. :lol:

Both from BusinessReport.com

Edited by dan326

• 3 months later...

We have real seafood in south Louisiana...isn't that the reason why Red Lobster has so much trouble here in BR??

CompUSA building set to become Red Lobster

Plans have been filed to demolish the vacant CompUSA building by the Mall of Louisiana and to replace it with a Red Lobster restaurant. The CompUSA building has been largely empty since early 2008, when the chain went out of business. Although Red Lobster has nearly 700 locations in North America, the chain hasn't had a Baton Rouge location in years.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/