CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Easley Town Center

g-man430

Wow, I live in Powdersville and would never think of going all the way to Anderson to go shopping. I can go to Woodruff Road to do some shopping and be back home in almost half the time it would take me to go to Anderson and shop. It takes just 15 mins to go to Best Buy on Woodruff. I don't know anyone who lives around me that goes all the way to Anderson to shop also.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regard to previous posts. The traffic counts on Clemson Blvd. are right around 30,000 Vehicles per day, the traffic counts on Woodruff Road are closer to 40,000 vehicles per day. The busiest non-interstate road in the state if I am remembering correctly is Rivers Avenue in North Charleston.

In regard to Easley Town Center, the development will still be moving forward, it just might change some of the non-retail aspects of the site from my understanding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The Pickens County school board voted not to participate in a proposed tax increment financing district for the Saco Lowell site. They would have joined the City of Easley and Pickens County Council in creating this district. Any ideas what this means for the future of the development?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/710230358

It shouldn't impact it much. A similar thing happened when Travelers Rest created theirs. They still ended up creating one.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did not know that this project had been approved yet. I thought it was on hold due to how it would be financed (something involving TIF and/or the Pickens County School Board, maybe?). Regardless, I am glad to hear that I was mistaken and that it will be starting soon. That location will be great for a town center, and will do a lot for that stretch of U.S. 123 through Easley.

I did not know that this project had been approved yet. I thought it was on hold due to how it would be financed (something involving TIF and/or the Pickens County School Board, maybe?). Regardless, I am glad to hear that I was mistaken and that it will be starting soon. That location will be great for a town center, and will do a lot for that stretch of U.S. 123 through Easley.

You can still establish a TIF district even if the the school district does opt out. It just means subtracting the SD portion ... which or course means a smaller pot to work with.

In my opinion, it is very short sighted of school districts to opt out of these projects that eventually will mean a much larger tax base for them. Give up a little now to gain a lot down the road is apparently not a simple enough concept for many of the upstates school boards.

You can still establish a TIF district even if the the school district does opt out. It just means subtracting the SD portion ... which or course means a smaller pot to work with.

In my opinion, it is very short sighted of school districts to opt out of these projects that eventually will mean a much larger tax base for them. Give up a little now to gain a lot down the road is apparently not a simple enough concept for many of the upstates school boards.

The School District opted out of the Travelers Rest TIF.

• 2 months later...

I haven't been back to the forums in a while, but checked to see if this one had been updated or not, and it appears it hasn't been. The town center project broke ground last Friday (3/7) and demolition of the old Saco Lowell factory has begun. I haven't heard much in the way of confirmed tenants except for Walmart. I also heard from some friends that the old Walmart site on 135 is going to become a Sam's Club. I don't know how reliable that last piece of info is. If anyone has any updates on other tenants at the site, I'd appreciate the knowledge as an interested Powdersville resident

Archived