CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Easley Town Center

g-man430

Other tenants are Kohls, Ross, Bed Bath and Beyond, Office Depot, Petsmart or Petco, possibly Best Buy and Michaels.

Any idea on restaurants for the outparcels? I would think Easley would be in need of more mid-market, sit down type places like O'Charley's, Longhorn, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday, etc, etc.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea on restaurants for the outparcels? I would think Easley would be in need of more mid-market, sit down type places like O'Charley's, Longhorn, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday, etc, etc.

Easley does have a few restaurants of that sort, but I would expect a few more of those names you mentioned to set up there. There's an existing Ruby Tuesday's a little further down 123 and Outback, Copper River Grill, and Golden Corrall just put up locations nearby within the last year.

I don't think Olive Garden has that great a shot, based on rumors I've heard. I have heard Darden is looking at the site for a relo of the Red Lobster, however, as I think they have a fairly old unit nearby - maybe Cherrydale. Wouldn't be surprised to see O'Charley's end up there either.

Five Guys, McAlister's Deli, Starbucks and Joy of Tokyo are a few other end cap/in-line restaurants I've heard through the grapevine.

I don't think Olive Garden has that great a shot, based on rumors I've heard. I have heard Darden is looking at the site for a relo of the Red Lobster, however, as I think they have a fairly old unit nearby - maybe Cherrydale. Wouldn't be surprised to see O'Charley's end up there either.

Five Guys, McAlister's Deli, Starbucks and Joy of Tokyo are a few other end cap/in-line restaurants I've heard through the grapevine.

Thanks for the info. I had wondered when Red Lobster would relocate. The current location seems strange for that chain. This would be a good one for Easley.

• 5 weeks later...

A Red Lobster has been rumored for Easley for at least 10 years. It will be funny if it finally happens! :lol:

I have a friend that is directly involved in the project, and a while back, he told me something to the effect of "the Mayor told the developer if they only bring one restaurant to the project, they want a Red Lobster" so I think there is certainly some external pressure to make the deal happen.

I have no idea where it stands, but I'm fairly certain they're at least engaged in negotiations with RL.

• 2 months later...

Looks like this project just got a grant from the state in the amount of $500,000.

Something about giving a shopping center grant money that is anchored by Wal-mart on one end and Kohl's on the other just doesn't seem right to me for some reason. <_<

I just cannot see the Red Lobster relocating from it's present site. Building another one maybe, but to relocate the existing restuarant to Easley makes no sense. What are you talking about when you state there is a fairly old unit at Cherrydale?

The only Red Lobster in Greenville is at the intersection of N pleasantburg and Wade Hampton (about three miles from the Cherrydale market). I believe it was either the first or second Red Lobster ever developed and I am pretty sure has been in the top ten stores in their chain from the start. part of the structure used to be a Howard Johnson diner which was part of the hotel.

They might do another location in Easley but there is no way they are shutting that store down.

Some of the chain restaurants I have heard have taken pause from what is going on across the street. Mainly that Copper River is eating Outbacks lunch and dinner, with their sales taking a big hit sense Copper River opened. I have heard that several of the bigger restaurant tenants are doing some recalculations in trying to figure out how many sit down restaurants Easley can support.

Outback seems to know what they are doing when it comes to choosing locations, because they always seem to be crowded. I do not know about the Easley location, but I'm sure it does great business. I am also glad to hear that Copper River Grill is doing well.

I am concerned that Easley Town Center will be nothing more than a glorified strip mall rather than a walkable, well-designed town center. Given the high visibility of the site, it will truly be disappointing if it mostly involves Wal-Mart and other relocated business from elsewhere in Easley. On a positive note, at least Easley will finally get a Kohl's and Starbucks. -_-

Something about giving a shopping center grant money that is anchored by Wal-mart on one end and Kohl's on the other just doesn't seem right to me for some reason. <_<

I don't have details, but I expect the money is for road/intersection improvements --- not the shopping center itself.

I don't have details, but I expect the money is for road/intersection improvements --- not the shopping center itself.

I thought usually with retail development the companies were supposed to improve roads, etc. If this is not the case, then many times they can be forced to. It's a shame that $500,000 is coming from taxpayers for this. Just force Wal-mart pay for the roads! I've seen them been forced to do much more than that.

I thought usually with retail development the companies were supposed to improve roads, etc. If this is not the case, then many times they can be forced to. It's a shame that $500,000 is coming from taxpayers for this. Just force Wal-mart pay for the roads! I've seen them been forced to do much more than that.

John, it depends on the project. It is all a matter of economic development. I am not an expert on this particular project however, I understand that this site is basically an abandoned industrial site located at what many consider a gateway into Easley/Pickens County. These two factors, even separately, can get the public sector involved in a project. Also, as I recall, the road intersection involved is apparently a problem with or without the project. Forcing a developer to pick up the cost for public improvements often makes a project cost prohibitive and the developer moves on. The best economic development is a partnership between public and private interests that results in a win-win situation. Hopefully, that is what this development will be.

John, it depends on the project. It is all a matter of economic development. I am not an expert on this particular project however, I understand that this site is basically an abandoned industrial site located at what many consider a gateway into Easley/Pickens County. These two factors, even separately, can get the public sector involved in a project. Also, as I recall, the road intersection involved is apparently a problem with or without the project. Forcing a developer to pick up the cost for public improvements often makes a project cost prohibitive and the developer moves on. The best economic development is a partnership between public and private interests that results in a win-win situation. Hopefully, that is what this development will be.

Gotcha.

• 3 weeks later...

Outback seems to know what they are doing when it comes to choosing locations, because they always seem to be crowded. I do not know about the Easley location, but I'm sure it does great business. I am also glad to hear that Copper River Grill is doing well.

I am concerned that Easley Town Center will be nothing more than a glorified strip mall rather than a walkable, well-designed town center. Given the high visibility of the site, it will truly be disappointing if it mostly involves Wal-Mart and other relocated business from elsewhere in Easley. On a positive note, at least Easley will finally get a Kohl's and Starbucks. -_-

It was never intended to be a walkable town center, it's always been designed as a power/community center. And regarding your comment about relocated businesses from elsewhere in Easley, the only tenant I can think of right now relocating is Wal-Mart, and obviously their existing location in Easley is not a Supercenter but the new one will be.

There will be a number of tenants currently no closer than Woodruff Road in Greenville, everything from mid-anchors to restaurants to small shop tenants. Certainly, some existing Easley tenants will end up relocating there, but very few of the proposed tenants I've heard of have locations there currently.

I just cannot see the Red Lobster relocating from it's present site. Building another one maybe, but to relocate the existing restuarant to Easley makes no sense. What are you talking about when you state there is a fairly old unit at Cherrydale?

My mistake if it wasn't Cherrydale I heard, could be the Pleasantburg location Dtown mentioned, but I do know FOR CERTAIN this was going to be a relo of an existing restaurant. The reason being b/c it was a very old prototype and if they were to leave that location open and open another Easley unit, there was concern about cannibalization. Who knows, maybe they do Easley and open another unit a little east of the current restaurant they've mentioned closing.

Not trying to be argumentative with you guys, just passing along what I know. I don't profess to EVER understand what some of these retailers and restaurants are thinking when they make RE decisions :wacko:

It was never intended to be a walkable town center, it's always been designed as a power/community center. And regarding your comment about relocated businesses from elsewhere in Easley, the only tenant I can think of right now relocating is Wal-Mart, and obviously their existing location in Easley is not a Supercenter but the new one will be.

That's terrible. If this is indeed the case, then Easley continues to dissapoint me. I hope Easley's plans for transportation don't come through, because if development continues in this sprawling fashion with no intentions of pedestrian friendliness, then the system will fail. The City of Easley could save money and put it towards promoting better growth than what already plagues Hwy 123.

That's terrible. If this is indeed the case, then Easley continues to dissapoint me. I hope Easley's plans for transportation don't come through, because if development continues in this sprawling fashion with no intentions of pedestrian friendliness, then the system will fail. The City of Easley could save money and put it towards promoting better growth than what already plagues Hwy 123.

You can't blame the developers or the City of Easley for this. DHEC required it to be built as a power center due to the contamination on site from the old Saco Lowell plant. No residential is allowed on site at all. Also, I highly doubt you will see Red Lobster relocate from Greenville to Easley. If they do put one of their restaurants here, it will be an additional one not a relocation.

You can't blame the developers or the City of Easley for this. DHEC required it to be built as a power center due to the contamination on site from the old Saco Lowell plant. No residential is allowed on site at all. Also, I highly doubt you will see Red Lobster relocate from Greenville to Easley. If they do put one of their restaurants here, it will be an additional one not a relocation.

I'm not talking about residential. I'm aware of the restrictions that are in place due to the contamination. The comment I was replying to was one that stated: "it was never intended to be a walkable towncenter". I don't think walkability requires residential. Am I wrong?

I'm not talking about residential. I'm aware of the restrictions that are in place due to the contamination. The comment I was replying to was one that stated: "it was never intended to be a walkable towncenter". I don't think walkability requires residential. Am I wrong?

Oh, ok. I think a lot of the reason it's non walkable is due to the fact at least 75% of the development is made up of big-box stores and the stores you see at town center developments like the Shops at Greenridge wouldn't come to Easley Town Center due to population demographics. This is only a guess though.

Care to make it interesting? Unless you're RL's broker, I kind of doubt you're as tuned in as I am.

Just saying...

Care to make it interesting? Unless you're RL's broker, I kind of doubt you're as tuned in as I am.

Just saying...

Not really, but I do know a few people who work for the Shopping Center Group who would think different of your opinion. ;) Besides, why would Red Lobster want to relocate if they remodeled the Greenville restaurant a few years ago and make good profits there?

Archived