CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Easley Town Center

g-man430

• 2 months later...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Any word on the future of the shopping center where Wal-Mart is now?

Kind of a shame for the Wal-Mart to leave Foothills Mall (since demolished- on 123 where Lowe's is now), move to a strip center (sometime in the '90s- I don't recall exactly when, but not THAT long ago), and now be leaving another empty box behind.

• 2 weeks later...

What a shame...I was hoping the recession would kill this project. Between the stretch of car dealerships,golden corral, mega-church (aka the REPENTAGON) and this "town center", this area is becoming the epitome of sprawl. Being a planner for Easley must be the easiest job in the world.

Yeah, I was hoping the recession would have killed it too. 300+ construction jobs, 900+ permanent jobs, road improvements, new bridge, and retailers/restaurants that currently only exist on Woodruff Road in this area...what a tragedy. blink.gif You live in a suburb. Did you expect anything but sprawl?

Yeah, I was hoping the recession would have killed it too. 300+ construction jobs, 900+ permanent jobs, road improvements, new bridge, and retailers/restaurants that currently only exist on Woodruff Road in this area...what a tragedy. blink.gif You live in a suburb. Did you expect anything but sprawl?

What I expect, citylife, is that you can have 300+ construction jobs, 900 + permanent jobs, road improvements, new bridge, and retailers/restaurants in a development that enhances the 123 corridor and doesn't contribute to the same low density sprawl that has ruined the area's character.

The attitude of "since it's a suburb, lets build more crap" is a terrible and defeatist position to have. Look at other town centers around the country and even in similar areas in the south. A better type of development is possible and economically feasible.

What I expect, citylife, is that you can have 300+ construction jobs, 900 + permanent jobs, road improvements, new bridge, and retailers/restaurants in a development that enhances the 123 corridor and doesn't contribute to the same low density sprawl that has ruined the area's character.

The attitude of "since it's a suburb, lets build more crap" is a terrible and defeatist position to have. Look at other town centers around the country and even in similar areas in the south. A better type of development is possible and economically feasible.

Oh, I would love for this to be a mixed use town center with residential instead of big box stores that includes Walmart but DHEC in all its wisdom wouldn't allow it due to contamination on site from the Saco Lowell plant that used to be located there. There is only so much the developers could do under DHEC's restrictions sadly.

Oh, I would love for this to be a mixed use town center with residential instead of big box stores that includes Walmart but DHEC in all its wisdom wouldn't allow it due to contamination on site from the Saco Lowell plant that used to be located there. There is only so much the developers could do under DHEC's restrictions sadly.

I mean even having smaller out parcel stores with big boxes in the back (kind of like shops at greenridge) would of been acceptable. From what I understand DHEC said residential development wasn't allowed on half the site, but that doesn't mean the arrangements of non residential buildings could be far better. I guess I should look at the bright side, we have a beautiful abandoned Wal-Mart vista to look forward to.

• 2 months later...

rather not say, do you know anything?

saw this info on another site, can't vouch for accuracy, however --- maybe it's good news for you?

Yes. Expect Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Dick's Sporting Goods, Red Lobster, O Charley's, Best Buy, Ross, Michael's, Kohl's, Shoe Carnival, and several others. I have the site plan with all of the tenants listed. I can't share it though. These tenants are subject to change of course. I'm pretty sure the Walmart on the other side of town will close. It might get replaced by Sams or Target. That part is just a rumor though, so I can't confirm anything.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/greenville-spartanburg-area/726148-easley-town-center-ready-get-moving.html#ixzz0lxqwXuKo

saw this info on another site, can't vouch for accuracy, however --- maybe it's good news for you?

Yes. Expect Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Dick's Sporting Goods, Red Lobster, O Charley's, Best Buy, Ross, Michael's, Kohl's, Shoe Carnival, and several others. I have the site plan with all of the tenants listed. I can't share it though. These tenants are subject to change of course. I'm pretty sure the Walmart on the other side of town will close. It might get replaced by Sams or Target. That part is just a rumor though, so I can't confirm anything.

Read more: http://www.city-data...l#ixzz0lxqwXuKo

That post on that other forum was made by me. Some of those tenants have signed leases and some haven't. I'm not going to say which ones have and which ones haven't though due to on-going negotiations.

• 1 month later...

No word on any restaurants that have signed leases yet but there are some that are in negotiations with Cedarwood Development to locate in the outparcels. One is a national seafood restaurant with a location on Wade Hampton Blvd. in Greenville and another one used to be located on Haywood Road where Copper River Grill is now. :whistling: It's just a question of if they sign a lease or not to build there.

Looks like the surface of the moon. Somebody plant some trees!

:lol: I thought it looked more like Mars myself.

No word on any restaurants that have signed leases yet but there are some that are in negotiations with Cedarwood Development to locate in the outparcels. One is a national seafood restaurant with a location on Wade Hampton Blvd. in Greenville and another one used to be located on Haywood Road where Copper River Grill is now. :whistling: It's just a question of if they sign a lease or not to build there.

An image of a shy and blushing, or perhaps angry, crustacean just crossed my mind. :whistling:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived