CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Easley Town Center

g-man430

I agree that it is a poor and un-sustainable design—in fact, it is downright ugly. However, it may be a better plan than the one implemented on Woodruff Road. In this case, there are multiple key access points and a complete, self-contained shopping "district" (separate from the main highway) with several anchor stores, surrounded by a perimeter road, and connected by other interior roads. The monstrous Walmart/Staples/Kohl's/Sam's shopping center on Woodruff Road has thrived for approximately ten years now, despite its TERRIBLY designed connectivity. By Woodruff Road standards, the new Easley Town Center could be a major improvement.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that it is a poor and un-sustainable design—in fact, it is downright ugly. However, it may be a better plan than the one implemented on Woodruff Road. In this case, there are multiple key access points and a complete, self-contained shopping "district" (separate from the main highway) with several anchor stores, surrounded by a perimeter road, and connected by other interior roads. The monstrous Walmart/Staples/Kohl's/Sam's shopping center on Woodruff Road has thrived for approximately ten years now, despite its TERRIBLY designed connectivity. By Woodruff Road standards, the new Easley Town Center could be a major improvement.

I feel this way as well. I think that a positive thing about this development would be that since it has a street network, it will be way easier to repurpose in the long haul compared to a normal strip mall. That Woodruff Road shopping center that you are describing needs to be completely reworked (which may happen because that Wal-Mart is really showing its age).

Construction trailer now on site. Fontaine Construction is the general contractor. Petsmart, Tractor Supply Company, Marshall's, VIP Nails, Dots, Sally Beauty, Rue 21, Sam's Club, Academy Sports, and Shoe Carnival are slated. Subject to change. Jersey Mike's, GNC, and Blueberry Frog are now open also.

Construction trailer now on site. Fontaine Construction is the general contractor. Petsmart, Tractor Supply Company, Marshall's, VIP Nails, Dots, Sally Beauty, Rue 21, Sam's Club, Academy Sports, and Shoe Carnival are slated. Subject to change. Jersey Mike's, GNC, and Blueberry Frog are now open also.

Good to hear about Blueberry Frog, its exciting to see them grow.

• 2 months later...

New site plan: http://www.cedarwooddevelopment.com/images/projects/Easley-Marketing_Flyer.pdf

Petsmart, VIP Nails, and Sally's (tenant spots C and D) are under construction currently.

Site work continues for Academy.

Construction bids go out for Marshall's (tenant spot B) June 8th and Longhorn Steakhouse (outparcel 6) June 5th.

Pretty funny that cheap, non-urban sprawl like Easley Town Center is celebrated here on URBAN Planet. LOL. Strikes me as funny.

It's better to have a site with multiple access points at lights and roads inside the development than more strip malls. Plus this location already had a prior use and was repurposed, at a great expense, to help slow sprawl from continuing down 123. If there must be sprawl, this is how you want it done. This is the highest quality development that Easley will support at this time but it may show the city shifting from having piecemeal development to having some sort of master planning. It's a (small) step in the right direction.

Pretty funny that cheap, non-urban sprawl like Easley Town Center is celebrated here on URBAN Planet. LOL. Strikes me as funny.

The site was previously home to a manufacturing plant that was just sitting there empty contaminating the ground soil. Now it's creating hundreds of jobs, new retailers/restaurants that will help take the burden off of Woodruff Road, and revenue for the City of Easley. Yeah, it's sprawl but the benefits IMO out-weigh the negative consequences with that.

This is Easley we are talking about.

Yes, it is Easley. Sad that a development of this size is filled with low end stores and really nothing more than a glorified power center. Seems they could have done better. But anyway.....I just find this thread funny (haha funny, not strange funny)....

Yes, it is Easley. Sad that a development of this size is filled with low end stores and really nothing more than a glorified power center. Seems they could have done better. But anyway.....I just find this thread funny (haha funny, not strange funny)....

I think this is an improvement for Easley. It is gaining a lot of stores it didn't have before. This will eliminate Easley residents from having to drive to Woodruff Road or Cherrydale for a lot of things. In addition to convenience, it brings a lot of jobs to Easley and Pickens County. That's a win in my book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived