Mural Idea for the police station

DwntwnGeo

I also think that they need to do something better with the Police Station. Windows would be a nice start. It looks too much like the Great Wall of Fulton.

I doubt anything will be done with the Police Station. They just remodeled it before they moved in a few years ago.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that idea! A mural dedicated to the civic services would make an excellent addition to that building.

Or one that shows police services leaping tall buildings, like the Hawaii 5-0 type of shirt I found on an auction site a while back. (It showed all their units -- choppers, boats, bikes-- amidst the typical island backdrop you'd expect on such a print.) Tried to get Ernie to buy it.

Or one that shows police services leaping tall buildings, like the Hawaii 5-0 type of shirt I found on an auction site a while back. (It showed all their units -- choppers, boats, bikes-- amidst the typical island backdrop you'd expect on such a print.) Tried to get Ernie to buy it.

They could have mural and 3D objects like this HBO display in NYC.

2163748710076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

In regard to that wall on the police station, it used to have fewer windows than that when it was a mall. However, a mural would look cool, and is lined up perfectly w/ Commerce Ave:

373583248_f98e9077ed_b.jpg

373583252_e90106531c_b.jpg

I asked the artist of the "GR Furniture City Gateway arch" mural, Richard Haas, to take a look at these pics.

[dang I love the Internet]

I asked the artist of the "GR Furniture City Gateway arch" mural to take a look at these pics.

[dang I love the Internet]

Ha! I was just thinking of some sort of artistic mural of an outdoor scene or something, and that it would be a "focal point" at the end of the street. I didn't even think of it being a mural of an extension of the street with buildings, etc.. Is that what you were thinking? That would be wild!

OK, a bad sketch, but this would be pretty cool (I got tired of drawing in all the individual windows :silly:) :

373620608_67e5682ce8_o.jpg

Someone would probably crash right into the police station.

That's just my idea. Any others? I think any kind of mural here would be cool!

Unfortunately with that, look at it from any other angle and it wouldn't make sense.

I think more of a mural depicting what Grand Rapids is, and its history, would be great here. Perhaps a mural depicting Monroe Center back in the 20s.. complete with streetcars and all.

I think that would add to the appeal of it. People would HAVE to go over to Commerce to see it. What would be even more interesting is if an abstract mural were painted on there that looked like something from Ionia & Fulton, and totally different image from Commerce. Optical illusion art.

Unfortunately with that, look at it from any other angle and it wouldn't make sense.

I think more of a mural depicting what Grand Rapids is, and its history, would be great here. Perhaps a mural depicting Monroe Center back in the 20s.. complete with streetcars and all.

From the levy in Portsmouth, Ohio:

ETA: by Robert Dafford

police_fire.jpg

It would be awesome to commission an artist like Frank Stella. Although you might think him too abstract, I implore you to consider the Calder as a point of civic inspiration.

This group might be more comfortable with someone like Richard Haas or Robert Dafford.

Regardless, let's stay away from anything related to Robert Wyland's whales. And no, I don't care if he's a fellow Michigander.

It would be awesome to commission an artist like Frank Stella. Although you might think him too abstract, I implore you to consider the Calder as a point of civic inspiration.

This group might be more comfortable with someone like Richard Haas or Robert Dafford.

Regardless, let's stay away from anything related to Robert Wyland's whales. And no, I don't care if he's a fellow Michigander.

I agree Greedo. Especially with UICA going in virtually across the street, this could be a great gateway to the arts district.

How about a mural of a construction crane in a reflection:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/8/9883968_85521feb24.jpg?v=0

:yahoo:

J/K. Here's a good gallery of images at flickr of building murals:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=building+mural

Maybe as other suggested, a mural like this but showing the Heartside District's "entertainment district" history.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevgfc/123967941/

which would be a lot like the Furniture City Gateway Arch on Division. Does anyone know who commissioned that mural? And how we'd go about getting interest in a mural on the police station? (Talk to Dolan?)

If you want optical illusion are check this out. It might not work as well on the side of a building as it does on a sidewalk though. With the side of a building you're pretty much looking straight at the piece so you don't need to really exaggerate features to make them look right.

Oh, and I'll second (third?) the vote for no Wyland.

:blink:

That is freaky!

If you want optical illusion are check this out. It might not work as well on the side of a building as it does on a sidewalk though. With the side of a building you're pretty much looking straight at the piece so you don't need to really exaggerate features to make them look right.

Oh, and I'll second (third?) the vote for no Wyland.

If they were to do a mural I would hope for something that is incredibly well done. I was never a big fan of the Butterfly, and honestly, while I sat for hours watching the Haas mural get painted, I'm not overly impressed with the final product (I do like the arch with the old city view). I think murals either look really good, or look like someone was just trying to hide an ugly wall.

That sidewalk chalk artist is amazing!

Joe

which would be a lot like the Furniture City Gateway Arch on Division. Does anyone know who commissioned that mural?

I have a question into the Heartside folks.

And how we'd go about getting interest in a mural on the police station? (Talk to Dolan?)

I just did! Sent him a message about it, I mean.

I'd hope though that it'd look sort of photo realistic, thats what I'd like to see...

I found some neat ones here that are done by a Michigan artist that sort of fit the bill of photo realism although it doesn't look like they've done anything at this scale.

Contact your favorite artist and send 'em a link to this forum. Let's start collecting ideas....and price quotes.

[picked up a grant-writing book at a thrift yesterday]

Contact your favorite artist and send 'em a link to this forum. Let's start collecting ideas....and price quotes.

[picked up a grant-writing book at a thrift yesterday]

I don't really have a favorite artist... infact I know nothing about anything on murals except what I've googled :blush: Although I'll email someone once I find out!

Archived