Mural Idea for the police station

DwntwnGeo

From my Heartside contact:

"The Richard Haas Mural entitled Grand Rapids, Furniture City cost $120,000. Funds were raised from local foundations, the DDA, and some state agencies. This included extensive prep of the wall, the design by Richard Haas (his website which include the majority of projects he has done is: www.richardhaas.com), and painting by a professional mural company out of NYC called Evergreene Painting Studio. Their website is: www.evergreene.com They also employed 2 local artists to work with them."

Edit: from Mrs Haas:

"The Dwelling Place.Org which is a not for profit organization commissioned the mural and paid for it in part by grant funding. ...

It is hard to remember time line, but the project probably took about a year and a half from start to finish, determining which wall, getting it surfaced, designing the mural, painting it, perhaps having to wait for bad winter weather to pass. The actual painting took about eight weeks. I am sure someone at Dwelling Place could fill you in on other details."

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my Heartside contact:

"The Richard Haas Mural entitled Grand Rapids, Furniture City cost $120,000. Funds were raised from local foundations, the DDA, and some state agencies. This included extensive prep of the wall, the design by Richard Haas (his website which include the majority of projects he has done is: www.richardhaas.com), and painting by a professional mural company out of NYC called Evergreene Painting Studio. Their website is: www.evergreene.com They also employed 2 local artists to work with them."

Nice work Veloise. I got some photos.

Through the snow and VAA clutter:

374564260_852ede3569_b.jpg

374564265_6e2e80d902_b.jpg

374564271_05ff01807c_b.jpg

From UICA's future perspective:

374564274_7322b824b0_b.jpg

I think there may two walls as candidates here:

374570181_8005077681_o.jpg

Not that I'm a muralist or artist, but it would be cool to see an art deco styled mural, maybe appearing as though there are holes in the walls with furniture makers or industrial workers toiling away inside, and bricklayers closing in the walls. Or maybe the other way around, with images that look like holes in the walls looking out onto a cityscape.

Haas did one similar to that where it looks like you can see into this building:

http://www.richardhaas.com/murals/belo2.jpg

http://www.richardhaas.com/murals/fulton2.jpg

http://www.richardhaas.com/prints/31milkst.jpg

That is what I like about the Diego Rivera murals. Tells a complex story and has a lot of detail.

I also think something by Jose Narezo or Paul Collins would be cool to keep it local.

Not that I'm a muralist or artist, but it would be cool to see an art deco styled mural, maybe appearing as though there are holes in the walls with furniture makers or industrial workers toiling away inside, and bricklayers closing in the walls. Or maybe the other way around, with images that look like holes in the walls looking out onto a cityscape.

I like the idea of doing something, but I don't know if I'm sold on the mural idea. It would have to be very good, and very appropriate for the facade. One problem is the maintenance associated with an outdoor painting. I was thinking, how about some sort of stainless steel sculpture attached to the building, or even a stone frieze similar to what is on the Ford Field house?

That is what I like about the Diego Rivera murals. Tells a complex story and has a lot of detail.

I also think something by Jose Narezo or Paul Collins would be cool to keep it local.

Is Diego Rivero alive anymore? I'm don't know.

I agree mp. Some of the murals around downtown and Heartside I don't think would be appropriate here (like the one on WMCAT and next to Verne Barry Place). It would have to be a renowned artist.

Dead in 1957. Was married to Frida Kahlo (unibrow).

Yeah, if it isn't done right it would look horrid. It's like the murals you see that kids or high school students do. It's nice and all, but attractive? Not really. Anyone can do art, but not everyone is an artist (nor should they magnify their work on a huge wall). :)

I agree mp. Some of the murals around downtown and Heartside I don't think would be appropriate here (like the one on WMCAT and next to Verne Barry Place). It would have to be a renowned artist.

He and wife Frieda Kahlo are both long gone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Rivera

Greedo suggested this sort of style: Frank Stella. Given the wrap-around medium and the high visibillity from many points and venues, an abstract might be better than, say, an "X-ray" showing Harry & Co at their desks.

I've asked the Chelsea chamber of commerce for a photo of the area map that's painted on the wall of a building DT there.

The thing to keep in mind about raising funds for a project like this would not only be to get the money to commission the art, but also setup an endowment to take care of it.

I spent a couple minutes in Photoshop (I swear I'm better at manipulating images when I have time) to show what a potential mural would look like. I just took a painting that Paul Collins did that had a horizontal orientation and stuck it on the building (there for reference, not to push any particular painting or style). It does dress it up :)

374638549_dab6252e9e_o.jpg

how about instead of a painting or sculpture they put a giant tv showing the griffs when they r playing or local news... just all local stuff (and national headlines) when nothing is going on it could show a liveweb cam of the grand river doing its thing... thats kind of artsy

how about instead of a painting or sculpture they put a giant tv showing the griffs when they r playing or local news... just all local stuff (and national headlines) when nothing is going on it could show a liveweb cam of the grand river doing its thing... thats kind of artsy

Interesting idea, but you're probably talking millions of dollars for a monitor that big (big enough to not look out of place).

Here's the process, courtesy of Jay Fowler:

1. It is a city building. You would need to work with the Dept. Director (Police Chief) and the Facilities Mangagement. Dept, and

ultimately the City Manager.

3. There is a city policy that spells out under what conditions the city will accept the donation of a work of art (inc. murals, statues,

sculptures, etc.) Yes, an endowment is an important consideration.

2. Zoning can be approved by the Planning Director. Basically, she needs to accept that it is actually art and not an attempt to evade the sign regulations.

Anyone have Fred on speed dial?

And doesn't the city have/want an ordinance against more jumbotrons ("moving signs"). I don't think you'd convince this city to have a little slice of Times Square when they fought "GOLF" and "AUTO" being projected onto the Convention Center. Or even worse, when they considered the green neon around the B.O.B. a sign until someone smacked some sense into 'em.

Joe

Interesting idea, but you're probably talking millions of dollars for a monitor that big (big enough to not look out of place).

Mmm, Times Square in Grand Rapids. Doesn't New York actually require brightly lit signs in that district though? It might be fun to do along Fulton by the arena. Maybe the triangle lot would see increased interest if only for the unique opportunity there that you couldn't get away with elsewhere in town.

I might be in the minority here, but I'm not too keen on a mural there or anywhere else for that matter. Does anyone know why there aren't any windows in that portion of the building?

You don't like murals anywhere? I think a mural is something that is plausible for that wall, and would certainly add some spice to a rather sterile corner. I'm not sure why there are no windows in those sections. I seem to remember wondering why they didn't add windows on those entire walls when they did the renovation. Maybe something inside, like mechanicals?

You don't like murals anywhere? I think a mural is something that is plausible for that wall, and would certainly add some spice to a rather sterile corner. I'm not sure why there are no windows in those sections. I seem to remember wondering why they didn't add windows on those entire walls when they did the renovation. Maybe something inside, like mechanicals?

Small murals are all right I suppose, but a mural that took up that huge blank wall on the GRPD would just look obnoxious IMO. That building is an absolute atrocity.

That building is an absolute atrocity.

Exactly, that's why it needs to put some clothes on.

What makes the most sense is for UICA and Second Story Properties to spearhead the effort, since they'll be right across the street. But with fund-raising to move UICA to that corner, they may have to wait until after the move is over.

Small murals are all right I suppose, but a mural that took up that huge blank wall on the GRPD would just look obnoxious IMO. That building is an absolute atrocity.

I agree wholeheartedly. If this actually is ever done, the city needs to make sure its not something future community members and polticians are going to look at a generation from now and say "what were they thinking?" It needs to be something that is timeless and not just an artistic fad.

I think this riff can be sorta seen in the debated topic of Calder Plaza that appeared on this forum some years back. While many don't necessarily have a problem with the statue, there was a huge differing of opinion as to the plaza itself and how the sculpture relates to it.

I agree wholeheartedly. If this actually is ever done, the city needs to make sure its not something future community members and polticians are going to look at a generation from now and say "what were they thinking?" It needs to be something that is timeless and not just an artistic fad.

Somewhere I still have the GR Mag issue from a couple years back with the Calder catalyst gal on the front cover (she looks a lot cooler now than she did in 70's black & white styles).

I think this riff can be sorta seen in the debated topic of Calder Plaza that appeared on this forum some years back. While many don't necessarily have a problem with the statue, there was a huge differing of opinion as to the plaza itself and how the sculpture relates to it.

Cityscape mural? With Calder and GRF and furniture and the Nortons and Old City and Old County and Herpolshemers (sp?) and ....??

[who deleted the Krispy Kremes? It was funny!]

Archived