Mural Idea for the police station

DwntwnGeo

Wow, I am gone for a few days and some takes my comment and starts a movement. You guys rock! I agree contact your artist friends, send photos to the city, and encourage change for the better. We all too often just settle for what we are given. We are the residents of this great city and our government works for us. Just remember that it just takes one voice to spur another, and then from two, can come a roaring crowd!

I would like them to paint a river, with the GR time line on it along the sidewalk section (where the over hang is next to the sidewalk) to break up the monotony of it all.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right.

Screw the artists that have made a name for themselves. Let's do a big watercolor of a vase. With flowers! I'm sure we could find many crafters browsing the aisles at Michael's that would charge a small fee for commissioning their work. A bowl of fruit might be neat too. ;)

Local, yes.

Either of these two?

Ugh! Please, no.

[who deleted the Krispy Kremes? It was funny!]

The UICA has always had a mural on the south side of their existing building. Maybe they'd like to adopt this wall.

Since you asked about the donuts...I don't have the power to delete, but I can repost the image (we'll see how long it lasts this time).

My best friend was a Michigan State Trooper (he died of cancer a few years ago). He and I had a long standing tradition of donut jokes. Sometimes I could get him to smile a little, but he would never laugh at them :rolleyes: . I think he might have laughed at donuts on the wall of the GRPD.

373927866_77f2cd8892.jpg

You're right.

Screw the artists that have made a name for themselves. Let's do a big watercolor of a vase. With flowers! I'm sure we could find many crafters browsing the aisles at Michael's that would charge a small fee for commissioning their work. A bowl of fruit might be neat too. ;)

There are other mural artists in this town who have made names for themselves. I believe that is what mejane was saying by "Local, yes. ..."

There are also other artists in this town other than these two who hang out at the craft aisle at Michaels and paint water color vases. :rolleyes:

The UICA has always had a mural on the south side of their existing building. Maybe they'd like to adopt this wall.

Since you asked about the donuts...I don't have the power to delete, but I can repost the image (we'll see how long it lasts this time).

My best friend was a Michigan State Trooper (he died of cancer a few years ago). He and I had a long standing tradition of donut jokes. Sometimes I could get him to smile a little, but he would never laugh at them :rolleyes: . I think he might have laughed at donuts on the wall of the GRPD.

373927866_77f2cd8892.jpg

At a bicycle planning conference in Seattle years ago I was admiring the ride of a bike cop. Nowadays frame-builders offer "braze-ons" to hold pumps, water bottle cages, lights, and so forth. One edgy builder used braze-ones shaped like little hands. One was the right shape to hold a coffee handle. The other was supposed to hold something else (dang half-zeimers!!) but the cop joked it was for a doughnut.

I don't think the whimsical doughnut suggestion diminishes the police force. (Now, if graffitti artists went out and started implementing, that would be different.)

:rofl: Dang Man! Police Academy is cinematic artistry at its finest!

Okay, here is what I want to see:

1. Install a movie screen on that wall.

2. Install theatre seating in the Hinman "triangle" area.

3. Play one of the old Police Academy movies.

4. Sell some popcorn, kick back, and enjoy the show.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I had business at One Monroe Center (using the front door--stop making assumptions!!) and swung by Harry's office to talk about this topic. His admin said, "that's over at City Hall right now." Apparently someone else thinks it's a good idea.

Dang I love this town.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be pretty cool. The city could make a lot of money selling advertising time. They could also be used to promote sports/concerts/events in the area sorta like that big Red Wings picture in Detroit that Veloise posted.

Cadillac Square used to campaign whazzis name--that Lion who was doing really well and then abruptly retired. Billy Sims? They added the line "gone to Canton," implying that he was no longer with us as a pro player. IIRC that mural had a swoosh logo.

ETA: look what I found! Says this was up 1995 --2002

WM22-82sanders.jpg

Have not seen the building recently (I looove the 616!) so I do not know who's on it now. (Wolverine, got a recent pic?)

Whoops, never mind.

pontiac-cad-tower.jpg

According to a site called metroblogger, this has been whited out, and they are accepting suggestions.

Have not seen the building recently (I looove the 616!) so I do not know who's on it now. (Wolverine, got a recent pic?)

Last time I saw it, I beleive it was a car advertisement (sorry, dont remember which one) that was quite a bit shorter (it might come up to the top of the detail on the 7th / 8th floor).

Personally, I would really prefer this not be an "ad" and be a work of art. But I'm sure the city wouldn't mind the revenue. Any ads would have to be HEAVILY scrutinized IMO so that it's top quality, and not for something like toilet bowl cleaner.

Archived