The Promenade At Chenal

So i gues its just a view of opinions, but i would prefer to see them at the Promenade. I think the center deserves Apple. I would also like to see a new mens upscale boutique style store there, similar to evolve at Midtown.

I think its a matter of when, not if that some body jumps on the land behind the promenade. I think a new to the market department store would do well there.

I wounder if the Bath and body works and victoria secret stores of the world will make their return to the promenade.

Why does the Promenade deserve Apple? When I look at this center all I see a Disney like center excluded from the majority of Little Rock. Just another fine example of sprawl. I think it is funny to watch people at so-called lifestyle centers drive and park to go to a store and then return to their cars and drive and park to go to another store.

Why does the Promenade deserve Apple? When I look at this center all I see a Disney like center excluded from the majority of Little Rock. Just another fine example of sprawl. I think it is funny to watch people at so-called lifestyle centers drive and park to go to a store and then return to their cars and drive and park to go to another store.

Why does anybody THINK the Promenade "deserves" an Apple Store. The fact is that Apple wants to be in high traffic areas, which doesn't describe Promenade. It does describe Park Plaza and MidTowne, you can find similar Apple locations in other cities. As sophisticated as Apple may be, I think they got carried away by the hype surrounding Promenade. When the recession began and it became obvious that Promenade wasn't going to be a huge success Apple changed their plans. I think Apple is re-evaluating the University/Markham area. Depending on what Strode's plans turn out to be I can imagine Apple considering Park Avenue.

Why does anybody THINK the Promenade "deserves" an Apple Store. The fact is that Apple wants to be in high traffic areas, which doesn't describe Promenade. It does describe Park Plaza and MidTowne, you can find similar Apple locations in other cities. As sophisticated as Apple may be, I think they got carried away by the hype surrounding Promenade. When the recession began and it became obvious that Promenade wasn't going to be a huge success Apple changed their plans. I think Apple is re-evaluating the University/Markham area. Depending on what Strode's plans turn out to be I can imagine Apple considering Park Avenue.

I would have to agree with this point. One of my first posts to this forum was in criticism of Park Plaza...and I got hammered for it. There are still plenty of people that not only support Park Plaza, but want it thriving as much as possible. Now with Midtown built and Strode making some headway with Park Avenue, I think the Midtown corridor is just that much stronger in being solidified as one of the best (if not the best) retail cornerstones of the city. Red is a very well connected retail developer and fully capable of attracting Apple to one of their developments. But the density in Chenal is just not there. I believe that this has always been Chenal's barrier to growth, is lack of existing density and/or infrastructure in comparison to other areas of the city. You can have the desire for an Apple store all you want. But Apple wants traffic where ever they are. Like it or not, the best traffic is usually is still in the Midtown area.

• 2 weeks later...

American Eagle closing,upset about other tenants backing out and in spite of good store sales. Definitely not a positive sign.

Ouch! However, I doubt that sales weren't a factor...they must not have been stellar, but no doubt lack of tenants/traffic would affect that. Seems short-sighted to bolt before it fills though, which is inevitable.

Ouch! However, I doubt that sales weren't a factor...they must not have been stellar, but no doubt lack of tenants/traffic would affect that. Seems short-sighted to bolt before it fills though, which is inevitable.

it will be interesting to see what happens to some of those other tenants as their leases come up for renewal. I'm thinking about the Portrait place and the Just for Dogs in particular. If it's a two-year lease, then they'll end later this year. AE may not be the last one.

Actually, it seemed silly to have 3 AE's in the metro. McCain Mall, Park Plaza, & Promenade. Over saturation IMO!

If that were the case, I'm extremely surprised the McCain location remains, given the total neglect Simon has given to the property, the abandonment by Gap, etc.

Just curious, was or is there any residential planned for Chenal? Most lifestyle centers here are built along with homes/apartments/lofts/condos. I don't see how it can attract major tenants without the density. What is the population in a ten mile radius? (I know I'm an outsider, but I am interested in the Little Rock thread because a friend of mine moved there recently and I like this topic because I'm very into retail)Y remember the speculation and how frustrating it is waiting for new to market to come to town. Orlando metro was about Little Rocks size in 1980. We didn't get an Apple store until the metro population was over 2,000,000. Now there is two stores within 6 miles of each other. They seem to enter a market with stores like Zara, Sony Style,Hugo Boss,Tiffany & Co,True Religion,Crate & Barrel,Bang & Olefson and anchors like Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales,Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters. If you have any stores such as these in your market, then they willl probably come for sure.If you have just one of these stores in a center, I bet that's where Apple will go.

Work has started on the Anthropologie store and word from the manager at ya yas is that it will be opening mid-aug or early september. Work is also underway on The Wine Loft & Blanc Burgers and Bottles. Bravo should be opening any day now.

As for J Crew, i emailed the company and was told that a central Arkansas store is coming soon and that the promenade store isn't dead. Like most stores, i think that its just waiting for the center to get to a certain level of occupancy.

On a side not, its sad to see AE go away. But we didnt need 3 of them. One in NLR and one in LR is plenty. Plus they also have a store in Hot Springs.

I'm really good friends with a manager at Hollister Co in Park Plaza. He said that the parent company(A&Fitch) is opening up a second store in the next year or so. He couldnt tell me if it was going to be in McCain or Promenade.

• 2 weeks later...

According to this week's Arkansas Business, Anthropologie's plan is to open in August. Just in time for back-to-school/fall shopping.

Well that's good! Does anyone think that Anthropologie opening could convince some of the other stores to finally open? And does anyone know when Blanc is supposed to open?

Edited by Littlerock499

We went to Bravo tonight, and were decidedly underwhelmed, but would be willing to give them another go once they're really settled in.

I went last night and was quite impressed with the place. The restaurant itself is beautiful. Felt very different from anything else in town (although with the open kitchen, you could say it was like a more upscale Macaroni Grill). Prices weren't bad and the food was pretty darned good. They take reservations, too. Which is always a plus.

Good news for the Promenade! Hopefully this will get the ball moving on some of the other Developments.

I wounder what would happen if a department store was to buy the land behind the promenade. What type of effect that would have on the development. Macy's anyone? This is the only development in town i could see them at, unless they expand at Midtowne. Im doubtful about Park Avenue, anywhere in NLR and SC.

I wounder what would happen if a department store was to buy the land behind the promenade. What type of effect that would have on the development. Macy's anyone? This is the only development in town i could see them at, unless they expand at Midtowne. Im doubtful about Park Avenue, anywhere in NLR and SC.

I agree with this, and believe that they were quite intentional with the final design by leaving the center axis "open" to the west. That being said however, the less than stellar momentum of the place certainly isn't making much of a case for that.

Posters are now up announcing that White House/Black Market is coming soon. It's in the center of the shopping center next to Coldwater Creek. It's not on their website. This is a bit surprising because I don't think there's been mention of this store since before construction on the center ever began. Maybe that's a sign that some of the other names will return, too.

Also, trees are starting to fall in preparation for the St. Vincent Health Village.

Has anyone heard anything about Dick's Sporting Goods coming to the promenade? It seems like we were pretty confident that they were coming when the promenade was first being built. The reason why I ask is because the employees at the dick's sporting goods in Hot Springs told us that they were going to open a store in Little Rock along with a few other locations in Arkansas, and so I was just wondering if they were still planning to put a store in the promenade.<div><br></div><div><br><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

Edited by Littlerock499

Has anyone heard anything about Dick's Sporting Goods coming to the promenade? It seems like we were pretty confident that they were coming when the promenade was first being built. The reason why I ask is because the employees at the dick's sporting goods in Hot Springs told us that they were going to open a store in Little Rock along with a few other locations in Arkansas, and so I was just wondering if they were still planning to put a store in the promenade.<div><br></div><div><br><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

They were on the initial list of tenants before construction ever started (that list also included Apple, Chili's and a few other names that had disappeared by the time the center actually opened). At one time, Dick's was mentioned as a possibility at Park Avenue, but was removed when the city asked the developers to change the mix of tenants and adjust the flow and parking areas of the center. Park Avenue seems a better location because it puts them further from Academy and Sports Authority, but I guess the Promenade could always come back into play. I think it was mentioned as an outparcel when it was attached to the center.

Has anyone heard anything about Dick's Sporting Goods coming to the promenade? It seems like we were pretty confident that they were coming when the promenade was first being built. The reason why I ask is because the employees at the dick's sporting goods in Hot Springs told us that they were going to open a store in Little Rock along with a few other locations in Arkansas, and so I was just wondering if they were still planning to put a store in the promenade.

Last week's Arkansas Business had a capsule about Dick's Sporting Goods and their plans for building two stores in the Central Arkansas region - including one in Little Rock. If memory serves me correctly, something was mentioned about the potential for moving into the space vacated by Kroger on Chenal, once they move into their new space next door. Apparently, the old Kroger space has the right square footage for a DSG store.