The Promenade At Chenal

It could be due to that fact that Boise is a bit more isolated that Little Rock in terms of surrounding metros. Tulsa, DFW, and Memphis are all closer to LR than Salt Lake is to Boise. After Salt Lake, the nearest metro with a Apple store is Portland (7+ hours). Same with the Cheesecake Factory.

Agree. Little Rock in some ways suffers from being so close to Memphis. Memphis is an easy trip (when I lived in Little Rock I used to leave for Memphis around late-afternoon to get there in time to experience the nightlife then drive back to Little Rock all in one night). Many Little Rock residents could do the same for shopping and dining.

• 2 weeks later...

Anthroplogie seems to be doing very well. Its always packed and there is always a line to check out!

White house/Black Market has filled a plumbing permit for the Promenade, so i would expect construction to start soon!

Does anyone know what happened to Black Bottles and Burgers? Construction has stalled and its been in the same shape for a month or so.

White Loft seems to be moving along, and the Tavern seems to be getting off the ground.

Any more news on Apple? Any other stores?

a couple of new smaller stores have opened up shop lately. I hope 2011 turns out to be a good year for the promenade. I figured that Anthropolgie would give the Promenade the umph it needed to get the big stores in.

Anthroplogie seems to be doing very well. Its always packed and there is always a line to check out!

White house/Black Market has filled a plumbing permit for the Promenade, so i would expect construction to start soon!

Does anyone know what happened to Black Bottles and Burgers? Construction has stalled and its been in the same shape for a month or so.

White Loft seems to be moving along, and the Tavern seems to be getting off the ground.

Any more news on Apple? Any other stores?

a couple of new smaller stores have opened up shop lately. I hope 2011 turns out to be a good year for the promenade. I figured that Anthropolgie would give the Promenade the umph it needed to get the big stores in.

It looks like White House/Black Market has started construction. According to their facebook, Blanc Burgers and Bottles is negotiating a new lease with the center? So i guess that's why there hasn't been any progress.

I really hope 2011 is the year for the Promenade... Does anyone think that some of the stores that were on the original site plan a couple of years ago will recommit to the promenade? Like Apple, J. Crew, Select Comfort, Lucky Brand Jeans, bebe, Talbots, J. Jill, Victoria's Secret, Bath and Body Works?

Also an interesting article about Little Rock shopping, Pleasant Ridge, and the Promenade...http://sync.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/nov/23/talking-shop/

It looks like White House/Black Market has started construction. According to their facebook, Blanc Burgers and Bottles is negotiating a new lease with the center? So i guess that's why there hasn't been any progress.

I really hope 2011 is the year for the Promenade... Does anyone think that some of the stores that were on the original site plan a couple of years ago will recommit to the promenade? Like Apple, J. Crew, Select Comfort, Lucky Brand Jeans, bebe, Talbots, J. Jill, Victoria's Secret, Bath and Body Works?

Also an interesting article about Little Rock shopping, Pleasant Ridge, and the Promenade...http://sync.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/nov/23/talking-shop/

Interesting quote from your Sync link:

"This begs the question: What is the region missing?

“Apple and J-Crew,” Schickel said. “We'd give an arm and a leg to have those two stores.”

Actually, in 2007 both stores had contracts with The Promenade and had even started construction. Apple even filed for a plumbing permit before pulling out. Recent rumors have shoppers talking and maybe even crossing their fingers again for the store to come to Arkansas.

“We haven't made any announcements about any stores in Arkansas,” said Nick Leahy, public relations representative for Apple.

Bills said she can't talk about what's in the work at The Promenade.

“There have been rumors about which stores might be coming,” she said. “I can say that some of those rumors are true, but I can't talk specifics,” she said."

Ms. Bills appears to be lending credence to the validity of the rumors (Apple). I certainly hope so.

As a certainty, or just repeating the rumors?

It's the monthly article called Chenal Commercial Corner. You could call it repeating rumors or creating them on your own. I posted it because this is only the 2nd time I've seen the name specifically mentioned. At other times, it's been strongly hinted, but now, again a specific reference to Apple. But yeah, it's all rumor until an actual contract is signed.

I have a friend that is family with the VCC CEO, the construction company involved in the promenade. Apparently, they have been told that several chain restaurants are interested in out parcels at the promenade and that apple and j crew have been in full talk with the promenade about signing a lease. Also, she said that some of the other stores that were on the original roster are looking to come back online in the near future. She has even said that in the master plan, there is a large department store in the works as well as future retail space. But then said that this will only come about if the center is to reach its goal of 100% occupancy. She is the one that told me about about anthroplogie will be coming back in march or April.

I wounder if the movie theater will ever expand? 9 theaters seems pretty small. I bet they make a ton of money on the IMAX deal.

I do hope Apple and J crew come back. I bet we are going to see alot of second market restaurants and stores come into the center. I think with Park Ave being a bust, Midtowne too small and Park Plaza full, there is no room to expand except at the promenade. None of these stores will be seen at anything else other than Park Plaza or the promenade. Nothing in this town is more upscale than those too places.

Good info. Thanks for the update! I concur with your general assessment of the market. Park Plaza and Midtown are essentially full, and frankly very successful in their upscale market. Promenade is the only upscale alternative, and thankfully, it has the geographic/distance separation from Park Plaza/Midtown that's helpful for both developments and areas of town. To me, if in fact the Promenade is successful in filling the center AND adding a department store then I think it becomes a legitimate destination. I'd like to see that happen. Macy's?

One thing to add...Pleasant Ridge, though it fills a unique role (nice mix of local retailers and national chains) is also full. Shackleford Crossings is meant to serve as a mid-level power center, as will Park Avenue when it begins to come online.

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning a ski trip to Idaho and did a little research on Boise. Population under 190k, metropolitan area around 400k, so very similar to LR. They have an Apple store, a Cheesecake Factory and a Macy's.

Just got back from Boise and found their retail situation much different from LR's. Their main mall is definitely the center of retail there. It has four department stores (plus one anchor that's empty), Cheesecake Factory, Borders, Apple, a permanent See's Candies, Brookstone, Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn. Nearby were REI and Cabella's, along with a lot of other retail (Target, Best Buy, etc.). It was a very active hub of activity.

What also surprised me was their downtown. Not only is there another Macy's there, but also the city's PF Chang's, Urban Outfitters and Bonefish Grill. Very active and quite vibrant, but not just in a nightclub sort of way. Very surprising to me. And a very nice city, too.

Just got back from Boise and found their retail situation much different from LR's. Their main mall is definitely the center of retail there. It has four department stores (plus one anchor that's empty), Cheesecake Factory, Borders, Apple, a permanent See's Candies, Brookstone, Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn. Nearby were REI and Cabella's, along with a lot of other retail (Target, Best Buy, etc.). It was a very active hub of activity.

What also surprised me was their downtown. Not only is there another Macy's there, but also the city's PF Chang's, Urban Outfitters and Bonefish Grill. Very active and quite vibrant, but not just in a nightclub sort of way. Very surprising to me. And a very nice city, too.

I've heard good things about Boise, but haven't been there yet. It's amazing the difference just having your city's retail somewhat localized will make (there are pros and cons, but the pros tend to be quite nice). There's a lot of potential for retail growth in Little Rock, but it's somewhat hampered by the broken up nature of our retail. The Promenade is pretty far to go for anyone that doesn't already live out in Chenal (I've been there once since I moved here. I've been to Park Plaza over a dozen times and McCain a handful), so you end up with little retail clusters or mini-cities instead of one strong retail anchor. I hope that Little Rock can continue to encourage strong development downtown and in midtown to keep density alive and help promote infill/redevelopment, and I think the Promenade/Chenal area will benefit long term from that too.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, according to ifoapplestore.com, Apple is opening a store in Alaska... which is another state that will get an Apple Store before Arkansas.

That actually seems a little insulting considering how much smaller Alaska is (population wise) and that their largest city (Anchorage) has a smaller metro area than Little Rock by a good margin. I guess they would have to travel a lot farther to get to the nearest Apple store otherwise though...

So will Arkansas be the last state without an Apple store? Mississippi and Louisiana have had theirs for a while. Apple is starting to move into even smaller markets and also open up second locations in markets that already have a store. I think proximity to stores in Memphis and Tulsa hurts Arkansas' chances. Arkansas, outside of Little Rock proper, is overwhelmingly poor and uneducated, and I am sure that is a factor.

Arkansas, outside of Little Rock proper, is overwhelmingly poor and uneducated, and I am sure that is a factor.

Wow, that's quite a statement. I'm sure, the folks in NW Arkansas would take exception. Sadly that area might get an Apple store before LR simply due to UAF and Wal-Mart.

Arkansas, outside of Little Rock proper, is overwhelmingly poor and uneducated, and I am sure that is a factor.

I very much doubt this is an issue, given the "overwhelmingly poor and uneducated" number of states they're already in; not to mention retailers locate in "markets" not states.

That's blatantly false, especially compared to some of the other states you mention. Arkanasas has a highly ranked public education system that's far above many of the states that have obtained an Apple store before us. Sure, there are some agricultural areas that are perhaps less educated and less affluent, but compared to NWA, central AR, and much of the state, they're relatively insignificant. Little Rock or NWA alone are affluent enough to support at least one Apple store. Your summary is more than a little incorrect, and I doubt has much to do with Apple's marketing decisions.

So will Arkansas be the last state without an Apple store? Mississippi and Louisiana have had theirs for a while. Apple is starting to move into even smaller markets and also open up second locations in markets that already have a store. I think proximity to stores in Memphis and Tulsa hurts Arkansas' chances. Arkansas, outside of Little Rock proper, is overwhelmingly poor and uneducated, and I am sure that is a factor.

I think it may be a bit rash to dismiss everything outside of Little Rock as you did. But Little Rock does have the highest percentage of college degrees in the state. Although some of the NWA counties are starting to make some nice improvements in that area. But as far as money is concerned that's harder to pin down. Actually the counties with the highest average incomes aren't in the Little Rock metro or for that matter in NWA either. They're actually rural counties in south central/southwest Arkansas. But I think the issue everybody points out is the fact Mississippi has an Apple store and Arkansas doesn't. As bad as Arkansas performs as a whole it almost always ranks ahead of Mississippi in most categories. I just find it hard to believe there's any area in Mississippi that outperforms either the Little Rock area or NWA. So unless Apple put a store in Mississippi because of distance from other markets, I just don't understand that move. Unless Arkansas is still being penalized for that old 'hillbilly' stereotype.

I think it may be a bit rash to dismiss everything outside of Little Rock as you did. But Little Rock does have the highest percentage of college degrees in the state. Although some of the NWA counties are starting to make some nice improvements in that area. But as far as money is concerned that's harder to pin down. Actually the counties with the highest average incomes aren't in the Little Rock metro or for that matter in NWA either. They're actually rural counties in south central/southwest Arkansas. But I think the issue everybody points out is the fact Mississippi has an Apple store and Arkansas doesn't. As bad as Arkansas performs as a whole it almost always ranks ahead of Mississippi in most categories. I just find it hard to believe there's any area in Mississippi that outperforms either the Little Rock area or NWA. So unless Apple put a store in Mississippi because of distance from other markets, I just don't understand that move. Unless Arkansas is still being penalized for that old 'hillbilly' stereotype.

I dont think that its so much of a penalized mood apple has toward Arkansas, but more of finding the right development to put their store in. In Mississippi, The only large shopping development of any status is the Renn Center in a suburb of Jackson. Arkansas has many more large scale shopping centers than MS. You have Pinnacle Hills Promenade, NWA mall, Promenade at Chenal, Midtown Little Rock(including all 3 developments) and to a lessor extent McCain mall. I would imagine that Apple will put a store in LR before NWA just because it seems the LR economy is doing better right now, but Apple would be foolish to ignore NWA.

I still strongly believe that had the economy not fallen off a cliff, there would be a store at both Pinnacle Hills and Chenal Promenade. I still think there will be a store in the next 5 years in both metros.

But when it comes to the promenade, I still think that we will one day see Apple in this development. My inside source still says that they are going into the promenade, along with J Crew (See past posts).

I dont think that its so much of a penalized mood apple has toward Arkansas, but more of finding the right development to put their store in. In Mississippi, The only large shopping development of any status is the Renn Center in a suburb of Jackson. Arkansas has many more large scale shopping centers than MS. You have Pinnacle Hills Promenade, NWA mall, Promenade at Chenal, Midtown Little Rock(including all 3 developments) and to a lessor extent McCain mall. I would imagine that Apple will put a store in LR before NWA just because it seems the LR economy is doing better right now, but Apple would be foolish to ignore NWA.

I still strongly believe that had the economy not fallen off a cliff, there would be a store at both Pinnacle Hills and Chenal Promenade. I still think there will be a store in the next 5 years in both metros.

But when it comes to the promenade, I still think that we will one day see Apple in this development. My inside source still says that they are going into the promenade, along with J Crew (See past posts).

Apple hasn't dismissed the market. I should remind everyone that Apple HAD ANNOUNCED the Little Rock store A LONG TIME AGO even before any Mississippi and Louisiana stores were announced. They had even received the plumbing approval for construction. So obviously, they had (and have) faith in this market. The ill timing of the delay in construction of the Promenade (due to wet weather) combined with the bottom falling out in the market doomed that store location...hopefully temporarily.

Apple hasn't dismissed the market. I should remind everyone that Apple HAD ANNOUNCED the Little Rock store A LONG TIME AGO even before any Mississippi and Louisiana stores were announced. They had even received the plumbing approval for construction. So obviously, they had (and have) faith in this market. The ill timing of the delay in construction of the Promenade (due to wet weather) combined with the bottom falling out in the market doomed that store location...hopefully temporarily.

I could have sworn that they had announced an LR store in like 07 or am i just dreaming? I knew they signed a lease for the Promenade, but pulled or just stopped construction. I mean, look at the space where they were suppose to build the store. Had they not signed a lease or anything, im pretty sure that wall wouldn't be there right now.

I could have sworn that they had announced an LR store in like 07 or am i just dreaming? I knew they signed a lease for the Promenade, but pulled or just stopped construction. I mean, look at the space where they were suppose to build the store. Had they not signed a lease or anything, im pretty sure that wall wouldn't be there right now.

Yes, it was something like '07 I believe.

Yes it was announced in 2007. The Little Rock store was the only opening in 2008 that was completely cancelled. Apple proceded to open the Mississippi, Louisiana, and Augusta, GA stores set for that year. Obviously they considered Little Rock to be their most risky market during a recession or they would have proceeded with the opening.

Edited by bchris02

Yes it was announced in 2007. The Little Rock store was the only opening in 2008 that was completely cancelled. Apple proceded to open the Mississippi, Louisiana, and Augusta, GA stores set for that year. Obviously they considered Little Rock to be their most risky market during a recession or they would have proceeded with the opening.

Actually, I was told by sources in the know that it had everything to do with the status of the construction. The Promenade fell behind due to the extremely wet summer, delaying the original target opening for the store such that they had the option to cancel when the market went south. The other stores were further along/already under construction at that point.