Fifth Street Pedscape / Ivey's Building Retail Improvements

ScottCLT

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seem old enough that the 5th st entry is different. I wish they would have kept it the same as it is in the renderings, it is drastically different (and more boring) how it is now.

True, but with all that street seating it looks like they were angling for restaurants.... Its true that the way it is now is a little less dynamic for 5th but it would provide more space for more substantial retail.... (fingers crossed)

True, but with all that street seating it looks like they were angling for restaurants.... Its true that the way it is now is a little less dynamic for 5th but it would provide more space for more substantial retail.... (fingers crossed)

Yeah that is true, didn't think about it that way. By not adding the patio's and stuff more sq. ft. inside, hopefully for more clothing racks!

From what I can remember, there are three two level spaces. 2 that come in at around 16k and one a bit smaller or bigger. So 50k is about right.

I believe they have combined the old bojangles and restaurant above it to make one space. The old just fresh and the space above it and additionally the space that sat empty for a good while (now has a 5th st entrance) and the space above it.

I've seen a few renderings, but they weren't anything more than sketches for the common area. Haven't seen any updated exterior or space renderings. 

I'm still hoping for what I was originally told. They were shooting for: Urban Outfitters, Anthropology, Free People, A book store or a sporting goods store.

Maybe it was 2x 9k sqft multi floor, 1 6k sqft single floor, and 1 16k sqft multi floor. I really can't remember

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone hear anything lately about Iveys retail?

Edit: didn't notice I posted the same question n April before I posted this.sorry :D

Absolutely Zero. Its kind of interesting that a developer has sunk a lot of money into this project, but has made very few announcements since they took over in 2012. 

I heard a week or 2 ago the reason they haven't had anything materialize is because they are asking exorbitantly prices. So yeah, no news and there might not be some for a while.  

I don't understand that at all....Is it worth it to the owner to continue to lose money (it sitting empty) for them to wait for a sucker to pay up??? Wouldn't it make more sense to lower the prices a bit and start generating revenue now?

I know owners in the Ivey's building just got a letter telling them the work is complete and their property value has just been increased(edited to say: I dont think many of the owners believe their value increased). With building management saying that the conversion to the 5th street facing retail is done, I would hope they have some tenants soon.  They continue to hint at some famous chef who is going to open up one of the spaces. Could be self promotion, or it may be true. 

It could sit empty or be a restaraunt, it'd be the same to me.

I'm not going to uptiwn just to eat... I'm not going to go uptiwn to walk around to Chima's, Ruth Chris, mellow mushroom, Rite Aid, CVS & Walgreens....

It could sit empty or be a restaraunt, it'd be the same to me.

I'm not going to uptiwn just to eat... I'm not going to go uptiwn to walk around to Chima's, Ruth Chris, mellow mushroom, Rite Aid, CVS & Walgreens....

Wakling around to ... Chima's, Ruth Chris, mellow mushroom, Rite Aid, CVS & Walgreens.... could get expensive in a hurry!

• 2 weeks later...

So...ummm...there is this posted yesterday to the Meckleburg Land Use site:

Project Description:

Ivey Boutique Hotel
• Detailed Scope of Work: The site is located on N. Tryon Street. The existing building consists of 6 stories, with an underground basement parking garage. The 1st and 2nd floors are existing tenant (restaurant & business) occupancies. The 3rd-6th floors are privately owned condos. The building is split in half, one side consists of the tenant and condo units, and the other is occupied by an atrium extending the height of the building. We are proposing to renovate the first floor vacant tenant space (A-2) into the lobby and restaurant for the hotel, with a main entry off of 5th street. The second floor (A-2/ B existing) would then become 46 hotel rooms (R-1) with a Spa/Gym. An interior stair connecting the lobby to the second floor is also proposed.• Additional Comments: -Questions concerning window/ facade modifications (windows are existing, just being modified slightly) - will .5 parking spaces be required per hotel room even if this is just a renovation. - how many spaces will be required for valet - valet cut into existing 15' wide sidewalk

So just to see if i understand it......the empty space on 5th st will be the lobby/restaurant, the first floor will somewhat remain as is (renovated), and the 2nd floor will be the hotel and the 3-6th will still be the condos?? So does that mean all the existing businesses on the 2nd floor are out?

So just to see if i understand it......the empty space on 5th st will be the lobby/restaurant, the first floor will somewhat remain as is (renovated), and the 2nd floor will be the hotel and the 3-6th will still be the condos?? So does that mean all the existing businesses on the 2nd floor are out?

This all sorta pisses me off. Yes a 46 room Boutique hotel would be great, but damn it we need ALL of that retail uptown.

Archived