The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

Well we have to admit that the place was a relic. Like the article says, you can get the same shoes, at a cheaper price online, and have them shipped from anywhere on the planet.

It's a sad example of the decline of the American economy, but maybe an opprotunity for a more modern

business to get one of the best retail spots in DT GR.

• 1 month later...

I already know someone on this site is gonna call me an idiot. I also apologize for my day dreams while at work. But here is my 2 cents. I think that big open lot across from the new urban market and by the new Baker lofts should be a Meijer. There are a lot of new lofts being built down in that area. Plus the Downtown urban market and a new Meijer would really be a draw. I actually think they would help each other out. I also think in one of the parking lots that create a sea of parking behind the arena could create a wonderful new shopping center, smaller and similar to water tower place in Chicago!

I already know someone on this site is gonna call me an idiot. I also apologize for my day dreams while at work. But here is my 2 cents. I think that big open lot across from the new urban market and by the new Baker lofts should be a Meijer. There are a lot of new lofts being built down in that area. Plus the Downtown urban market and a new Meijer would really be a draw. I actually think they would help each other out. I also think in one of the parking lots that create a sea of parking behind the arena could create a wonderful new shopping center, smaller and similar to water tower place in Chicago!

Slight iteration to your idea. I think the ICCF corner lot (Division/Wealthy) would be the perfect place with a vertical, mixed-use urban Meijer -- Meijer on Floor 1, parking on 2 and 3, apartments and Floors 4 -6. This location has higher traffic counts and visibility, which Meijer would like.

Edited by Jippy

The expert's comments on the East Fulton area are

The East Fulton District could support a home furnishings store, an electronic store such as a Radio Shack or phone stores, a hardware store, a garden store and a convenience grocery store, the analysis concluded. The new stores could generate up to $6.7 million in annual sales, the study said.

Am I missing something? The furniture store over on Michigan closed it's doors years ago. There's a very good Ace hardware 1/2 mile away on Michigan (I wish it was 1/2 mile from my house), a phone store on Michigan at Diamond, a Family Fare a little ways east, and one can buy garden stuff at the Ace and Family Fare. IMHO, he's an expert only because he's from out of town :yawn: Somehow I don't think 2 of each that close will survive, but what do I know :rolleyes:

Edited by Raildudes dad

• 1 month later...
This article is about a lot more than retail, but it is an interesting read on Monroe Center and beyond (with hints of new building development):

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/12/morton_house_kendall_building.html

Joe

I must have missed the hints. Where were the hints?

Was referring to Schultz' comments about "developments being discussed adjacent to Monroe Center" now that renovation has occurred in many of the buildings. I'm sure I'm reading too much into this, but talk of new development is a good thing after several years of no talk. :)

Joe

I must have missed the hints. Where were the hints?

I took the "hint" to be more that as Monroe Center is built out, properties one block to the N and S will also start to receive some interest. This would probably include the parking lot that CWD put an option on across from Van Andel?  BTW, has anyone heard any murmurs on that project by chance?

I took the "hint" to be more that as Monroe Center is built out, properties one block to the N and S will also start to receive some interest. This would probably include the parking lot that CWD put an option on across from Van Andel?  BTW, has anyone heard any murmurs on that project by chance?

They're probably waiting for an office user, when they should switch it to residential.

I guess my point is that there wasn't anything new in that article. There seems to be a lot of rehashing of old news going on in GR, sprinkled with teasers of info that has already been released (just reworded), in an effort to get web traffic maybe?

They're probably waiting for an office user, when they should switch it to residential.

I guess my point is that there wasn't anything new in that article. There seems to be a lot of rehashing of old news going on in GR, sprinkled with teasers of info that has already been released (just reworded), in an effort to get web traffic maybe?

Iv thought from the beginning that that lot should be residential. I can think of alot of people who would want to live across the gr brewing co and the v a arena. .02

Iv thought from the beginning that that lot should be residential. I can think of alot of people who would want to live across the gr brewing co and the v a arena. .02

The views up and down Fulton, and of the arena and Ionia, would be phenomenal. Particularly if they had balconies.

At the same time, if you repeat it over and over again, in 10 different places, the people who aren't paying attention might finally hear about it.

If you're doing a week-long retrospective on the Monroe Center, it only makes sense to conclude the series with a recap of future planned projects.  Then throw in an air of "Who knows what else will happen?" to go out with a cliffhanger.  It's an appropriate ending; nothing to read into.

By the way, the insightful MLive commenters at the bottom complaining about the road diet really cracked me up.

Edited by RegalTDP

If you're doing a week-long retrospective on the Monroe Center, it only makes sense to conclude the series with a recap of future planned projects.  Then throw in an air of "Who knows what else will happen?" to go out with a cliffhanger.  It's an appropriate ending; nothing to read into.

By the way, the insightful MLive commenters at the bottom complaining about the road diet really cracked me up.

MLive commenters are generally speaking the most idiotic people I've ever interacted with.  I often wonder who these people are, if they are even able to function in society. near as I can tell they are a bunch of weed smoking, union member, republican extremists.

MLive commenters are generally speaking the most idiotic people I've ever interacted with.  I often wonder who these people are, if they are even able to function in society. near as I can tell they are a bunch of weed smoking, union member, republican extremists.

I agree they're pretty awful, but they don't hold a candle to the woodtv.com commenters. 

Edited by wingbert

• 2 weeks later...