The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

When I was reading about Lee & Birch I came across another GRBJ article about a new clothing store opening on Bridge Street.  So I guess it's not all bad news.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/79436

'“It’s certainly possible, but hard to predict,” Harney said. “One of challenges of downtown is there isn’t a lot of space to cluster retail together. People want to park once and walk and shop. There’s a challenge of how to get multiple retailers to group together . . . forming shopping clusters.” '

Wonder what causes all those gaps in the "clusters".  Oh yeah, all the parking garages and surface lots.  Guess we can't win.  And people were wonderig why the DDA didn't want a dentist in the space across from Rosa Parks Circle.  That's the other part of it.

• 6 months later...

This is a pretty cool project in Detroit. Sort of like MoDiv but with high end retailers from Somerset Collection all taking over an abandoned building downtown.

http://blog.thedetroithub.com/2014/11/16/downtown-detroit-ready-to-become-a-winter-wonderland-as-season-of-winter-magic-begins/

Could possibly be done in the ground floor of Morton?

-18d8973ede5ea98d.jpg

Diplomat Pharmacy on E. Fulton looks to be done. Driving by I saw a huge moving truck out front. The outdoor sign is gone, and the interior looks cleaned out.

Looks like we can add that to the bookstore of things downtown needed that are now gone.

You think that Diplomat Pharmacy fit the role as a downtown pharmacy? It's sad to see a business close but they were from a different era.

I think it was about as good as we were going to get. But yeah, it really wasn't the same as going to a CVS by a long shot.

I wouldn't say that. I'll bet a one legged duck that a national pharmacy will go in South of the arena at some point. Will it be allowed to have a drive-through though? That will be the big debate.

• 2 months later...

About time!  I don't necessarily mind the modern, but execution and materials is always important.  It's always hard to tell from renderings, but anything is better then what they have now.  Congrats to them for making it 90+ years in downtown Grand Rapids.  Not any easy feat!

Edited by mpchicago

Facade improvements are on the way for Reynolds and Sons

Fox17 : Downtown GR storefront marking 85+ years in business, prepares for major renovation

reynolds-sons_exterior-render.jpg?w=300&

Off topic I suppose - As the Fox17 story mentions before it was Reynolds and Sons, it was Reynolds and Brown and before that Goebel and Brown.  It’s kind of an obscure store now but the original owner, Paul Goebel, was a pivotal figure in Grand Rapids and Republican politics.  He had been an all-American football player at the University of Michigan in 1922 and later was a professional football player.  He was a friend of the Ford family and he recommended the young Jerry Ford as a prospect to the U of M football coach who was a former teammate of his.  In 1940 he was part of a group that worked to overthrow the political boss Frank McKay who pretty much controlled the Republican Party in Michigan back then.  Goebel was instrumental in helping get Ford elected to congress after WW II and he himself ran for mayor in 1950 and was elected three times.

Goebel was also elected to the U of M Board of Regents.  I don’t know if the store has a relationship anymore but at one time it was a major supplier to U of M of athletic uniforms and equipment as far back as the 1940’s.  

Wikipedia has a pretty good biography of Goebel if you are interested:

My father took me to the store in the mid-fifties to buy me my first pair of ice skates.  I can remember my father pointing out the mayor who was standing nearby.   
Edited by walker
  • Like 1

It looks like it could be their tapered panels? I've seen their product used at an Audi dealer by my house.  Didn't know it was from Holland!

65 Monroe Center would have been better off using this product.   :thumbsup:

They may have to soon! :)

Cool applications with colors. This is interesting. I wonder if it's the panels used on the Cherry and Division and Herkimer projects?

Lime_9949-l-web.jpg

That's awesome. Here's a full size version. Looks like there will be tile or masonry at the base to tie in with the next door Children's Museum.

16189437547_1ca678201a_o.jpg

Is the original facade completely destroyed?  This design definitely isn't going from bad to great.  More like a '60s version of crappy to a modern version of crappy.  :sick:

ckcuORL.jpg

This is the earliest facade I've seen.  I'm guessing early 50's. I assume the building is older then that and that the above facade isn't original.  But the storefront entry in the above image may be original to the building. But that storefront is long gone.

I have no idea what is behind the existing mansard? Awning? I'm not sure what you call it.