SF Pictures of the Day II

Charles Pearson

The handsome rainbow-colored "Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual, Transgender" Flag stands tall & waves proudly in the wind below Twin Peaks at Castro/MUNI Station in the Castro District...The "F"-Line (orange Milan Street Car) uses historic trolloyes from various cities all over the world, transporting residents and visitors up Market from Castro & 17th all the way down Market through the Civic Center, downtown, Financial District to the Embarcadero & onward to Fisherman's Wharf near North Beach...Note: The lush palm trees were added in the 1990s when Willie Brown was Mayor; they extend from Market/17th Castro up to Zuni's Cafe on Market...just beyond Valencia Streets at Martuni's, a lively gay piano bar where anybody is invited to sing and one martini's is more than enough!!!...In the sunlight is Sutro Tower. I lived below it in the 1990s on Twin Boulevard's in a place a called "Bird's Nest"...

CastroDistrict_SF.JPG

Edited by Zahc

A closer look at an historic trolley (from Milan, Italy) on SF's "F-Line" on Market/Church Street stop. I actually rode this type of street car (trolley) when I was in Milan in 1990...It's my favorite on the "F-Line"...followed by the boat trolley used only on the sunniest of days.

historic%20F%20Milan%20Trolley_SF.JPG

Edited by Zahc

Ah, great shots Zahc! I love the Canary Island Palms added to Market Street, thanks Willie! As a frequent visitor to SF (slew of relatives all over the Bay Area) I enjoy riding the F-Line. They sure can get crowded on weekends w/all the tourist riding them from the Ferry bldg. to Union Square. My only problem w/the F-Line is in the evenings down by the Castro the wait for the next car can be a rather long time.

Don't you just hate when people call the Trolley Cars Cable Cars and Cable Cars Trolleys? :)

...a closer look at the new Federal Building on Stevenson Place Alley that's still not open...and old storefronts on Market Street like the STRAND that was raided by police & closed because the pimps, drug dealers & prostitutes had taken over the place...But I like the contrasting and "sunny" colors here...The vacant lot used to house a bar that had a huge "round-bar" and a beautiful mural of The City. I was in in once or twice. After the earthquake in 1989, it never reopened and was eventually torn down...There's another high-rise/condo building (20+ stories) under construction in this block next door to the federal building; two more high rises are planned inside this very block in the near future. Pic taken from UN Plaza.

New%20Federal%20Building_old%20Strand.JPG

Edited by Zahc

...SF II continued...

...a crowded Downtown Market Street near 5th...taken eve of Chinese New Year Parade (Year of the Pig)...Noted brown Skyscapers in distance are McKesson at One Post & Market (left side) and Chevron Tower (right side) at 525 Market Street...I've worked in both buildings at some point: 31st floor in McKesson Bldg and 7th floor at 525 Market.

crowded%20Market%20STreet.JPG

Embarcadero Station...

MUNI_Underground.JPG

People on the N-Judah...

muni_underground_people.JPG

...Looking at Macy's from Crate & Barrell, 2nd Floor, where we bought a leather sofa...

SF_Macys.JPG

...UN Plaza / Civic Center Fountains...people and "the Birds"...

UN%20Plaza%20Fountain.JPG

...back home on Dolores Street where we live...View taken from Rooftop of our building...

dolores%20stret%20II.JPG

Edited by Zahc

you mean Union Square or United Nations Plaza? UN Plaza isn't much of anything really...I rather like new reinvoted Union Square.

sorry yea US, i thought it was a little overrated of a place. Maybe just because I heard so much I thought it would of been better. Where is UN Plaza because that fountain looked familiar. I also thought the area where they had the world latitudes/longitutes of cities was cool, i dont know where it was really, besides on market st.

The latitudes/longitudes of the cities are in the heart of UN Plaza, where the fountain is as well. 10 UN Plaza building includes the 24/7 Carl's Jr...which is a riot if you want to see 100 million weirdos and the very-down-and-drugged-out after midnight...Once a chic there with a deep voice frighten me so when she spoke words of praise to me...i was polite but shaken because she was too tall and big and very butch, and then suddenly realized upon careful examination that her makeup was very bad, her wig lopsided and she wasn't even a real chic but a transgender...not that I have anything against them since one of my good acquaintances is a transgender from Cuba who was born on my birthday--Nov 14...but "she" doesn't look masculine.

Where the City Main Library and the Asian Art Musuem up to City Hall and Opera/War Memorial building on Van Ness is the Civic Center...This area is featured prominently towards the end of the film "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with Donald Sutherland, particularly the Dept. of Health building which is across the street from City Hall and Bill Graham Auditorium...In the film the dome of City Hall was still greenish or olive in color; and it was during Mayor Willie Brown era that the dome was gold trimmed and darkened...

Interior of Main Library in the Civic Center...where you can run into everyone you know and don't want to know...

sfmain%20library.jpg

Edited by Zahc

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/grecodg3/60d44d34.jpg

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! :camera: of St. Ignatius and the city Skyline!!!! Then all of those were...PICTURE PERFECT!!! Your work is great as I've checked out your website work as well...

thanks... i wish i had time to update/take more pictures... I thought the mall downtown was pretty awesome. Reminded me of the library picture.

thanks... i wish i had time to update/take more pictures... I thought the mall downtown was pretty awesome. Reminded me of the library picture.

you're right...I had never thought of that...but it does remind one of the San Francisco Shopping Centre with its escaltors seeming to float you up to the very top where Nordstrom's is located...Bloomingdales in the old Emporium is pretty-nice too and now has Century Theatre where I saw Pan's Labyrinth...but SF Shopping Centre has Bloomies beat IMO...

Edited by Zahc

yea definately where it kicks up in the righthand side. do you sell paintings for a career or hobbie?

...hobbyist (sp?)...but i do enjoy sketching and painting in my spare time ... which began about 4 years ago when I started it to relieve myself of corporate-world stress, but i don't think i would want it as a full-time career as it's tough way to make a living...but my best friend from Heidelberg, Germany, he's a full-time painter, have never done anything else, and he recently sold an artwork for $7,000 to couple (also from Germany) who now lives in Charlottesville, VA...

Edited by Zahc

i went to school for painting, fine arts... I realized I love it, but I need to make money and support myself. I know money isn't everything, but at the same time, is it better to struggle and do something you love, or live happily and then do something you love because you have comfort. Well I thought the later and ended up at a business school

i went to school for painting, fine arts... I realized I love it, but I need to make money and support myself. I know money isn't everything, but at the same time, is it better to struggle and do something you love, or live happily and then do something you love because you have comfort. Well I thought the later and ended up at a business school

That is so correct. I would be happier if I could spend the rest of my life writing stories and painting...AND living in San Francisco's SEAcliff neighborhood--of course... :) near Sharon Stone...or so she used to live there when she was married to one the Editors of the San Francisco Examiner...

In Mission-Dolores Street area or East of Castro Street area of THE CITY...

Speeding J-Church on Church Street...

J-Church%20in%20the%20Night.JPG

A very good sushi bar...called "Tokyo"on 16th Street...

16thStreet_Sushi_Bar.JPG

My black cat JAKE McGEE (the $3,000 cat!!! in surgeries) up in a Palm tree or rather on the balcony banister overlooking our back yard/garden on Dolores Street...MOST San Francisco residences lack front yards...but you're be amazed at the gardens in back OF THE buildings either shared or private...

Jake_180DolBalcony0002.JPG

Edited by Zahc