New nightlife spots in Charlotte

ScottCLT

Does anyone know or has anyone heard of any type of new LARGE gay club,not bar, but actual place to go and dance to good techno? Scorpio just doesnt do it for me anymore. It was such an awesome place to go in the mid-late 90s. Cathode is nice. I hate the steps at 316. So just wondering if anyone has heard any talk?

There are none any more unfortunately.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are none any more unfortunately.

And there likely won't be.  The trend, even in major cities with large gay populations, has been away from big gay dance clubs and toward lounges with small dance areas.  And with the increasing (thankfully) acceptance of LGBTQ people, more and more bars and clubs are seeing mixed crowds.  I do miss the days of huge gay clubs, though.  I will always have fond memories of coming of age in the gay world on the dance floors of long-shuttered places like Coliseum, Backstreet, Wetbar/Blue, Nation, The Roxy, Splash, and many others.  Now you're most likely to catch me at local breweries and dive bars with my straight friends. :)

And there likely won't be.  The trend, even in major cities with large gay populations, has been away from big gay dance clubs and toward lounges with small dance areas.  And with the increasing (thankfully) acceptance of LGBTQ people, more and more bars and clubs are seeing mixed crowds.  I do miss the days of huge gay clubs, though.  I will always have fond memories of coming of age in the gay world on the dance floors of long-shuttered places like Coliseum, Backstreet, Wetbar/Blue, Nation, The Roxy, Splash, and many others.  Now you're most likely to catch me at local breweries and dive bars with my straight friends. :)

Yes luckily I was able to experience The Roxy, Coliseum, and Shampoo in Philly had a "gay night" and that was a fabulous club. I do like the integration and the better acceptance of the LGBTQ community into mainstream society but I still long for those good ol days from time to time. I guess we finally got what we wanted in the acceptance area which is great!

• 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, tarwater said:

Does anyone know if a new mid-size music venue might be on the horizon? I hope I've missed something. The loss of Chop Shop, Amos's, and Tremont in quick succession really sucked. 

The owner of chop shop opened a venue by Sugar Creek Station called "The Shed" I think he's going to fully build out the exterior with shipping containers which has me excited.

1 hour ago, tarwater said:

Does anyone know if a new mid-size music venue might be on the horizon? I hope I've missed something. The loss of Chop Shop, Amos's, and Tremont in quick succession really sucked. 

From my understanding “Flight” is trying to label itself as a “music hall”. 

Archived